1.    #1  
    After corrupting the Saved Preferences file, how do I restore just thatfile from the PalmOne backup directory?

I could

1. temorarily move all files but that one out of that directory and do a "Desktop overwrites Handheld" or

2. use Quickinstall to copy the file to the Treo RAM or

3. Copy the file to the SD card using a card reader and use FileZ to copy it to the RAM

Will these work? What is the best way of doing this?

PS: Don't suggest BBVFS. I am allready discussing issues with that in a separate thread... I want to do this using the P1's Backup directory file...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  2.    #2  
    Any input? I'm sure everyone will lose their Saved Preferences file eventually. It's only a matter of When .. not If.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    After corrupting the Saved Preferences file, how do I restore just thatfile from the PalmOne backup directory?

I could

1. temorarily move all files but that one out of that directory and do a "Desktop overwrites Handheld" or

2. use Quickinstall to copy the file to the Treo RAM or

3. Copy the file to the SD card using a card reader and use FileZ to copy it to the RAM

Will these work? What is the best way of doing this?

PS: Don't suggest BBVFS. I am allready discussing issues with that in a separate thread... I want to do this using the P1's Backup directory file...
    All three would work, but #1 is needlessly complex; options 2 and 3 are the easiest. Regular backups to the card will save you much trouble in the future.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    Regular backups to the card will save you much trouble in the future.
    That's what I thought. And it did, but I had to restore the entire Checkpoint.

A singlr file restore via BBVFS was messy (BBVFS thought that it's trial period had expired!) and did not work (all applications were still in their Trial modes)..

Next time my Saved Prefs. get corrupted, and I am near my PC, I'll try the 3 methods I mentioned in OP.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    That's what I thought. And it did, but I had to restore the entire Checkpoint.

A singlr file restore via BBVFS was messy (BBVFS thought that it's trial period had expired!) and did not work (all applications were still in their Trial modes)..

Next time my Saved Prefs. get corrupted, and I am near my PC, I'll try the 3 methods I mentioned in OP.
    I've had to restore the single Saved Preferences file several times from my BBVFS backup - I've never had any trouble with it. You need the registered version to restore single files.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    I've had to restore the single Saved Preferences file several times from my BBVFS backup - I've never had any trouble with it. You need the registered version to restore single files.
    My version is registered. The problem is, that wehn I lost my Saved Prefeernces, even BBVFS_Pro thought that it was unregistered!! It had me connect to a web site to download a registry key (a .prc file) and run it to allow single file restores. And that restore did not work.

I'm e-mailing the details to Bluenomad support.

Did your BBVFS_Pro think it was unregisted when you lost your Saved Prefs.? Did it restore without having to register itself all over again?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Did your BBVFS_Pro think it was unregisted when you lost your Saved Prefs.? Did it restore without having to register itself all over again?
    As I said, I've never had any problems restoring my Saved Preferences file from my BBVFS backup; I've never had to re-register.