1.    #1  
    I made a customized version of pssh with a couple of improvements specifically aimed at the Treo 650. I think it should still run on a 600, and any other PalmOS device, but I make no promises; in any event, I advise against the use of this version of pssh on anything but a Treo 650.

The most important improvement is that I ported the better random number generator from the Tungsten|C. (You know that message saying that the random number generator is bad and it's insecure? Well, the author of pssh meant it! It's pretty bad.) This should improve security, although even though I removed the security warning (it annoyed me), all of the caveats that the original author mentions about the code being possibly insecure still apply.

Other changes simply make the program a bit easier to use, especially on a device with a keyboard.

• I made the 0-9 keys act as shortcut keys to the first ten entries in the connection list. After initializing the user and host, you can just hit the number to the left of the username and host to automatically connect, rather than manually tapping on the connection and then tapping connect.
    • I rearranged the quick keys for the menus. This was to make space for a set of menu quick keys corresponding to the missing keys. For convenience, the quick keys for these menu entries are the top two rows of the keyboard (W-O and S-K) and correspond in order to the buttons on the 'mini-keyboard.' This allows these missing characters to be entered easily, without the use of the stylus, by holding the Menu button and hitting the corresponding quick key.
    • I added a signal gadget to both the connection form and the terminal form.
    • I added a checkbox for "double size" fonts. This gives you fonts equivalent in size (and looks!) to the Treo 600. If you are having trouble reading the default fonts, the double size mode might be worth a try.

As usual, my software can be downloaded at http://www.nekito.net/~sachs/palm, or by clicking here.
    Last edited by doomsey; 06/21/2005 at 10:57 PM. Reason: update for 21-june-2005 version
    YES!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I definitely recommend these files over the old pssh version. The bigtext version is a little much, but I'm probably going to keep both around for when I get an external keyboard and will be using the device at a bit longer distance.
    NICE. That's slick. I won't use the big-text version, but the other features, especially the no-nag screen are outstanding.

Thanks dude.
  4.    #4  
    I have a vision-impaired friend for whom the large-font version was a big help.
    Since you're modifying pssh... could you please add a Tab button to the mini-keyboard and/or the chr menus?

Also, the signal gadget overlaps with the X button (which I never use) ... so one of them probably should go or be moved.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by stickb0y
    Since you're modifying pssh... could you please add a Tab button to the mini-keyboard and/or the chr menus?
    No need; the Treo firmware already maps Shift-Space to Tab. You can also get to tab using Ctrl-I.

Quote Originally Posted by stickb0y
    Also, the signal gadget overlaps with the X button (which I never use) ... so one of them probably should go or be moved.
    Ah, I see. When the title bar is hidden, the signal gadget still is drawn, and it shouldn't be; this overlaps the little X button. The signal gadget should be hidden in this case. It'll be an easy fix now that I know about it, so I'll do it at some point. But since I don't use the full-screen mode, it's not high on my priority list.
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    No need; the Treo firmware already maps Shift-Space to Tab.
    Sweet! Thanks for the tip. You've made my day.
    When the title bar is hidden, the signal gadget still is drawn, and it shouldn't be; this overlaps the little X button. The signal gadget should be hidden in this case. It'll be an easy fix now that I know about it, so I'll do it at some point. But since I don't use the full-screen mode, it's not high on my priority list.
    Aha, I completely forgot pssh even had a non-fullscreen-mode. I think I copied the settings from my old Treo 600 where I was trying to get as much screen real estate as possible. Now I won't use full-screen mode either.
  8.    #8  
    I put up a new version that fixes some bugs (including stickb0y's) and unifies the small-font and big-font versions. Now there's a check box that says "Double Size" in the display prefs page.

Let me know about any problems.