1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I've been on the fence on getting a Treo 650 and decided to jump in yesterday and bought one. I still have my much beloved Nokia 6230 as a backup phone.

Couple of questions I'm sure a search would find but I hope there is a Treo Expert who can filter what is real and not for my needs.

Here goes:

1) Overclocking. Yes/No? Best utility? What is the minimum I can expect on speed increase? Batter life affected much? Stability?

2) Resets and locks. Occasionally when I am on the Net surfing away. The treo will lock up or reset. Is this the Treo Hardware, the website I am viewing, or the Cingular GPRS connection going out?

3) Firmware. Should I keep the current Firmware 1.05 and SW 1.04-CNG or upgrade to PALM generic? If upgrade which one? There seems to be a 1.08, 1.23, 1.28. I am confused with the updates.

4) I know this is personal choice but what are the top 10 applications and utilities out there?

Thanks a ton,

Archon
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon
    Hi all,

I've been on the fence on getting a Treo 650 and decided to jump in yesterday and bought one. I still have my much beloved Nokia 6230 as a backup phone.

Couple of questions I'm sure a search would find but I hope there is a Treo Expert who can filter what is real and not for my needs.

Here goes:

1) Overclocking. Yes/No? Best utility? What is the minimum I can expect on speed increase? Batter life affected much? Stability?

2) Resets and locks. Occasionally when I am on the Net surfing away. The treo will lock up or reset. Is this the Treo Hardware, the website I am viewing, or the Cingular GPRS connection going out?

3) Firmware. Should I keep the current Firmware 1.05 and SW 1.04-CNG or upgrade to PALM generic? If upgrade which one? There seems to be a 1.08, 1.23, 1.28. I am confused with the updates.

4) I know this is personal choice but what are the top 10 applications and utilities out there?

Thanks a ton,

Archon
    1) Yes. PXA Clocker. ~428Mhz, MUCH faster for apps like NesEM, Blazer, etc. Stability depends on processor, but ~468Mhz is often attainable and stable.

2) Try DBCache Tool

3) 1.08 is for CDMA/Sprint PCS phones. Do not install it, you will brick your phone. Only use the firmware "approved" for your phone or a variant of that from http://www.shadowmite.com

4) I personally like: KBLightsOff, ScrollJump, KeepOff, pSSH, TCPMP, PXAClocker, NesEM, MobileTS, TreoHelper, RadioOff, AlwaysOn, ChitChat Lite, FileZ, DbCache Tool, LedOFF, PDAReach, and VoiceDial.
    Archon, I bought my 650 today and the 6230 was my backup choice.

Thanks for the info evilghost. Not to be thread jacking here but how does pSSH work for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by eSology
    Archon, I bought my 650 today and the 6230 was my backup choice.

Thanks for the info evilghost. Not to be thread jacking here but how does pSSH work for you?
    Works great, no issues at all. Fast, and on the high-res screen it's very useful. Supports colors, etc so Lynx doesn't look too shabby. Does SSH proto 2 as well, I think it may be proto 2 only, but if you're running SSH proto 1 shame on you :P

And War-Eagle.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the response. Any other tidbits for a new owner?

Is the hardware really that random that some people need to go through 3 or 4 Treos before getting the "right" one? or is this User error?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon
    Thanks for the response. Any other tidbits for a new owner?

Is the hardware really that random that some people need to go through 3 or 4 Treos before getting the "right" one? or is this User error?
    It really goes both ways. Some are blatant TSTU (Technology Superior To User) issues. There are known hardware issues, keyboard sponging (sp?), and an occasional processor issue.

Most of the whine/grips are "My Treo reboots all the time". There are many beliefs and even religions on this. Some scream "It's those 3rd party apps, I have nothing on my and it works great!!!111oneoneone" while others, like myself, believe it is these freeware/small fee 3rd party applications that make the Treo 650 usable.

In my experience, DBCache Tool has been the single application/only application out there that took my Treo, which would reboot when using the Phone application or when receving an SMS while multi-tasking, and made it rock solid.
    My best advice is to search and read these forums. There have been many threads on favorite apps, what to do for resets, firmware, and even overclocking. Lots of good information there.

Welcome, and good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    My best advice is to search and read these forums. There have been many threads on favorite apps, what to do for resets, firmware, and even overclocking. Lots of good information there.

Welcome, and good luck!
    Yeah, be sure to seach the forums, or at least browse around. You'll uncover a wealth of information, and while it's overwhelming at first, you will soon be acclimated to how the Treo works, and be happy.