1.    #1  
    Hi:

I've been watching the threads on the various instant messenger products like Vericaht, Mundu, Causerie, Chatopus, Agile, AOL, etc, but I can't seem to find any comments on IM+ by Shape Services (http://www.shapeservices.com/eng/im/PALM/).

I've installed the demo on my '650 and it appears to work. On the upside it appears to work with all the major services, and I think it interacts directly with them (not sure, though, and I do see a message about connecting to the IM+ server when I start it). On the downside, there doesn't seem to be any support for the 5-way and I've had a few mystery lockups that I think I can attribute to it.

Can anyone provide further assessment of this product?

Thanks,
    Phil
  2.    #2  
    I'm the only one who's tried this application!!? Considering all the interest in the big (expensive) players, this eems kinda odd...

-Phil
    been trying all the other im clients and hadn't heard any mention of this one in any of the threads or searches on the software sites.

like you said, the plus is that it does seem to connect to all the services without going through any intermediary services and has a one-time-fee licensing scheme.

on the downside, it seemed to run kinda clunky with some weird "blinky" popup messages during the download of the contact lists. also the download of contact lists seemed to take quite a while and you're locked out of the interface during that time. I did get one hangup that required a reset to get out of during my brief testing. the main problem i have with it is the really clunky interface that wastes alot of screen space all around:
    - each im conversation gets its own tab at the top, which is wasteful in itself on a small screen device, but there is also a duplicate popup menu to choose between the conversations, along with arrows to go back and forth between conversations.
    - no use of 5-way
    - many confusing icons, but then the strange use of a "E'icon" button at the bottom for emoticons instead of a smiley icon.
    - waste of space by boxing in the conversation section
    - no option to send the message when pressing the return key; must press the onscreen send button.

also seems to disconnect every time you power-off or the treo auto-off's cuz you waited too long. reconnect process takes a while as noted above.

anyhow, has alot of potential, but needs to take care of the interface issues. at the very least, should enable "send on return key".
    Interestingly, they (finally) sent me a copy to beta test, says it's version 2.0.4 I believe.

Launches and immediately errors with saying there's a missing componant and quits. Ah well. Back to Chatopus.
    Does it really connect directly? Looks like it connects thru a server to me (at least it says that it does when it launches)...
  6.    #6  
    The reason that I believe that IM+ connects directly to the individual services is that on the IM+ FAQ, they explicitly describe the settings for each service. On the version of the software that I have, though, I don't see this option--it may only be available on other devices, or on older versions.

* What settings should I use to connect to AOL?

Host: As a rule this is a login.oscar.aol.com
    Port: Standard AOL port is 5190
    Login: Your AOL Id, which you've received after the registration for this service (e.g.: "alex2003")
    Password: Your AOL password
    Encoding: Encoding of the message. Use CP1252 encoding to send and receive non-Latin characters from West European alphabets and CP1251 for East European (Cyrillic) alphabets.

* What settings should I use to connect to ICQ?

Host: As a rule this is a login.icq.com
    Port: Standard ICQ port is 5190
    Login: Your ICQ number, which you've received after the registration for this service (e.g.: "12345678")
    Password: Your ICQ password
    Encoding: Encoding of the message. Use CP1252 encoding to send and receive non-Latin characters from West European alphabets and CP1251 for East European (Cyrillic) alphabets.

* What settings should I use to connect to MSN?

Host: As a rule this is a messenger.hotmail.com
    Port: Standard MSN port is 1863
    Login: Your e-passport, which you've received after the registration for this service (e.g.: "bob@hotmail.com")
    Password: Your MSN password
    Encoding: Not using in MSN

* What settings should I use to connect to Jabber?

You should insert the full login information including the server address information for "Jabber" service.
    For instance:
    Login: test_account1@jabber.org
    Password: test

* What settings should I use to connect to Yahoo?

Host: As a rule this is a scs.msg.yahoo.com.
    Port: It must be 5050.
    Login: Your Yahoo! ID, which you've received after the registration for this service (e.g.: "imptest100")
    Password: Your Yahoo! password.
    Encoding: This option is not used in Yahoo!
    Anyone try the newer version of this?
    Btw, it's impossible to do a search for IM+.
    New version? Still 2.3 on the website.

I've been a beta tester for them off and on, but I got REALLY TIRED of the thing resetting my Palm no matter what I tried with it, and they are VERY VERY VERY slow to give you updated versions to try. So they give me a version, it crashes like mad, I report them, they thank me, then nothing for *months*. Then they give me another beta to try after me ASKING for it (5th time was a charm) and the new one crashes immediately.

So.. Not worth my trouble.
    Tried IM+, but uninstalled just after several hours of use. I don't think that such implementation have a chance to be used on my Treo 650. Although, I can't find 100% suitable IM solution for me. May be something wrong with me...
    Nope, IM+ is a little wacky IMO.. I'd use it for free, and didn't mind beta testing it for them, but I never got any real stuff back from the developers. Just thank you's. That's nice, but I'd like to see that what I'm reporting is fixed, and check to make sure it's fixed!

Chatopus works well for me, although it's caused a reset a few times, but that's literally a few times in all the times I've used it.
    I'm testing 2.4 of IM+.

It crashes far too much for my tastes, taking the Palm with it. Unlike VC and Mundu, it doesn't play well with others, like Ptunes. Also, it has a habit of using SMS for messages when I'm connected to the product. That can get expensive. The really odd thing is that I'll type messages via IM+ and the AIM connection, but the responses will all come into SMS.

I guess I'm back to either VC or Mundu...
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    IM+ and Mundu both suck seriously bad.. I don't see how anyone could use either. IM+ is ugly and crashes constantly, plus its background mode is awful, if it's in the background and you get a phone call or quite a few other events it either freezes, resets, or screws up the data connection on the Treo. Junk. I beta tested it for them for about a month, I never got any results back from my testing. No new builds. No fixed results, nothing.

Mundu is ugly and poorly designed.. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
    Interesting. I liked Mundu and I was just trying IM+ after going through VC, Agile, Casius(sp), and Mundu. Since I need a multiple IM services client, Toccer seems to be out for me.

At this point, I think I'll buy Mundu basic, since it's cheap and a 1 time fee.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    I mentioned this a long time ago and a few posts up :-) but I really like Chatopus. Jabber allows me to link to pretty much any of the services the Jabber server itself supports. I run my own so it works the way I want it to, so I have AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Conference, and could have a few more that I don't really care about so I don't have going.