Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a Sprint Treo 650. Is there a program to block unwanted calls from telemarketers? I've recently started getting unsolicited calls, which is pissing me off.

I've done a search, and found limited info. Does CallFilter work for the Treo 650 or only for the 600? Is there anything else?

Thanks, Casey.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Tell them to take you off their list as soon as possible. Also tell them this is your cell phone. And one more thing, don't fill out anything with your cell phone #.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    They aren't supposed to call cell numbers, but nowadays it's getting harder to tell what with number portability. Add your number to the list at www.donotcall.gov - it works.
    they can call and do call cell numbers. putting my or registering my cell number at the donotcall.gov site put an end to unwanted calls. well it doesnt stop the wife from calling. later.
  5.    #5  
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I just signed up for the do not call site. Hopefully this works.

But isn't there any program for the Treo 650 that will help too?

Thanks!
    Just follow the instructioms on the website!!! Meanwhile we will still be googling to see whats on for you...
    Control Life from Your Pocket
    The program would have to have a reference list . . . . which could take up memory and would have to be continually updated like anti virus software.

Unless, telemarketer calls would have some special "code" that the software could read. . .

Or the software could just block any call not in your contact list?
  8.    #8  
    So far, the last 2 telemarketers who called me in the past week have their phone numbers shown from out of state, as opposed to blocked numbers. I would at least like to be able to block all known junk phone numbers from ever ringing on my Treo, even if I have to manually enter the phone numbers myself. Doesn't the Treo 650 have an internal application to manually block numbers? Or is there a third party program that can do this?

By the way, the 2 telemarketing phone numbers who called me recently are:

(214) 279-0990. This number is some kind of solicitation for a free trip somewhere. When I called back the number from a voice message left, someone named Jeff answered my call, and I chewed him out. I tried to chew him out further, but they turned on the fax dial tone, so I couldn't get through.

(616) 980-2254. This number says they are some telemarketing company. When I called back the number from a voice message left, the answering machine says to call some other different number to get off their calling list. I haven't done this yet, but will.

I've noticed that telemarketers are getting more sly with their methods. Lately, they will have machines call you instead of a live person, and the machine gives you the sales pitch, and tells you to call back some number if you are interested...or to call back if you want to be removed from their list. They seem too chicken to even have a live person call you, so you don't get the satisfaction of even chewing them out.

You guys are all welcome to give the above numbers some of their own medicine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung

When I called back the number from a voice message left, someone named Jeff answered my call, and I chewed him out. I tried to chew him out further, but they turned on the fax dial tone, so I couldn't get through.

When I called back the number from a voice message left, the answering machine says to call some other different number to get off their calling list. I haven't done this yet, but will.
    I think I am just amazed that you would take the time to call back the very people you want to stop calling you. Not just that, but the fact that you had even more to get off your chest and decided to call....again. Guess that fax machine pissed you off!

As far as calling back to a number thats supposed to remove you from a list, how do you know thats what s actually going to happen. For all you know, you may be calling and acknowledging that its ok for them to call you.
    Your own words say that they are getting "more sly with their methods."

Its been adviced already, add your number to the Do Not Call Registry....you dont have to call numbers your not familair with just to make your point.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  10.    #10  
    ScandaLous,

If you're amazed about that, you should have seen me in action before. A little more than a year ago, AT&T telemarketing solicitors used to call me on my unlisted home phone number virtually every week. At first I was just annoyed, but later started to enjoy screaming profanities and cursing the living daylights out of them. After more than a dozen different telemarketing callers from AT&T, they finally gave up. Probably couldn't take my verbal abuse any longer. But at least, AT&T solicitors actually had real live people calling me, instead of machines.
    From the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) of 1991
    No person may

1. Initiate any telephone call (other than a call made for emergency purposes or made with the prior express consent of the called party) using an automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice,
    1. To any emergency telephone line, including any 911 line and any emergency line of a hospital, medical physician or service office, health care facility, poison control center, or fire protection or law enforcement agency;
    2. To the telephone line of any guest room or patient room of a hospital, health care facility, elderly home, or similar establishment; or
    3. To any telephone number assigned to a paging service, cellular telephone service, specialized mobile radio service, or other radio common carrier service, or any service for which the called party is charged for the call;
    It is completely illegal for ANY telemarketing company to call any cell phone. If they do so, then you have the right to sue them for $500 X 3 (triple damages for willingly or knowingly making the call).

Source: http://www.junkbusters.com/fcc.html

Basically: You dont have to register your cell phone number on the do-not-call list. They aren't supposed to call it in the first place. If you have a phone number that was originally a cell phone number (i.e. obtained directly from a cell phone carrier, and not ported from a landline) then the telemarketing company has no excuse, because there is a database of who telephone numbers are originally designated too (i.e. a local phone company, a cell phone company, etc.) However, if you ported your landline telephone number to your cell phone, then they have an excuse for not knowing. Just simply tell the person on the phone that they are calling a cell phone...they will apologize profusely, and hang up on you pretty much immediately...then they will add your number to the "is a cell phone" database...and not call you again. They definately know they are liable for calling you, even once.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    The do not call list is the best solution. LightWave allows you to specify answer and hangup for any specific phone numbers you do not want to take calls for. You can also specify specific phone numbers to go directly to voice mail. It also allows specific rings for phone numbers, categories, etc.
  13.    #13  
    Hi Temoore,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding LightWave, this looks very interesting. However, I found 2 negative reviews about it at this link here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...&mode=feedback

Do you personally use LightWave with success for its CallerID blocking feature? This sounds like a great program, and I just want to know that others are using it with good experience on the T650.

Thanks!
    ScandaLous,

If you're amazed about that, you should have seen me in action before. A little more than a year ago, AT&T telemarketing solicitors used to call me on my unlisted home phone number virtually every week. At first I was just annoyed, but later started to enjoy screaming profanities and cursing the living daylights out of them. After more than a dozen different telemarketing callers from AT&T, they finally gave up. Probably couldn't take my verbal abuse any longer. But at least, AT&T solicitors actually had real live people calling me, instead of machines.
    I'm surprised you want to block the calls given the immense pleasure to seem to get from berating the callers.
  15.    #15  
    I had to change strategy with the unrelenting AT&T telemarketers. They would not give up calling me even though I repeatedly told them to remove me from their list, and they kept assuring me they would. I gave up getting disappointed and being annoyed. So since I couldn't stop them from calling me it seemed, I simply berated them with insults everytime they called. I don't normally do this all the time, but the AT&T callers truly deserved this. Nowadays, I can't yell back at a machine that calls me, so I will have to use other means. By the way, yes, I already signed up for the do not call list just today.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Hi Temoore,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding LightWave, this looks very interesting. However, I found 2 negative reviews about it at this link here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...&mode=feedback

Do you personally use LightWave with success for its CallerID blocking feature? This sounds like a great program, and I just want to know that others are using it with good experience on the T650.

Thanks!
    Over the last year, I have seen many criticisms of Lightwave and Toysoft. I read about the new 5.5 version and it appeared to have had work done on it to fix some of the past problems. I tested it for a few days before purchasing it and it seems to work fine. The call blocking works well. You can put a full phone number in, or a partial. For example if you want to block all calls from 616-980 area code a prefix, all numbers such as 616-980-1234, or 616-980-4532, etc. will be blocked. You can put as much or as little of the number and it becomes a "mask" for blocking calls. I also use it for specific rings for certain people.
    So far, so good.
    Too bad callfilter still asn't been updated for the 650 yet! This is the perfect for this purpose...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I have had tmobile for over 3 years. Not one telemarketer...

Is this a sprint thing or because you have your Treo listed as your "home" number?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  19.    #19  
    Temoore, thanks for your comments on LightWave version 5.5. I will go ahead and install this program specifically for its call blocking feature. Can't wait to try it!

Otter, I've been with Sprint for at least 7 years with never a telemarketing call to my cell number. Then from nowhere, I received 2 telemarketing calls to my cell number in the past week. No, I don't give out my cell number as my home number.
    Let us know how it goes after the installation
    Control Life from Your Pocket
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast