Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I use Agendus on my Treo 650 for managing my calendar, sending SMS etc. I would like the ability to set the date and time a specified SMS will be delivered. For example, my employee needs to wake up 30 minutes before I do, and some times asks me to call to wake him up (rather then fire him later that morning). I'd much rather just set a wake up SMS in my calendar for him. Not to mention my treo is buzzing all day at work to remind ME to tell OTHER PEOPLE to do different jobs. My Treo should be telling THEM, not ME!!!

Certainly something like this would have potential for abuse, but so does the internet, crack, large caliber firearms, and many other modern conveniences we could sparsely live without. Think about it people. We NEED this feature.
    I've been a manager and a Director of Product Development in past jobs. I'm not sure of the caliber of people you are working with, but I've always treated employees as adults and as such have never needed such an app.

Perhaps you could suggest to the employee who needs wake up calls that he or she invest in an alarm clock. Also you could suggest to your other employees that they start managing their lives themselves.

As long as you treat a normal adult as a child they will probably act like one. Also, by taking care of them in the manner you are describing can lead them to hold you responsible for their failures. That is not helping them any and hurting you.
    Interesting...but I don't need the feature...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Great Idea ... let's hope there is an app that can do this. I wouldn't mind getting this also.
    Quote Originally Posted by illbits
    I use Agendus on my Treo 650 for managing my calendar, sending SMS etc. I would like the ability to set the date and time a specified SMS will be delivered. For example, my employee needs to wake up 30 minutes before I do, and some times asks me to call to wake him up (rather then fire him later that morning). I'd much rather just set a wake up SMS in my calendar for him. Not to mention my treo is buzzing all day at work to remind ME to tell OTHER PEOPLE to do different jobs. My Treo should be telling THEM, not ME!!!
    Unless you work at McDonald's you really need some new employees.

If that is not an option you can also look into getting your employees more organized which will make them and you more productive. Perhaps get them each a Zire so they remember what they have to do and not you. You are being very inefficient if you have to remind employees what they have to do.
    Alrighty, back to topic here...

I think this would be a cool app tooo! I like the idea of calendar triggered sms alerts. I know there are other alarm colaunchers like LookAtme, but none tied to the calendar afaikafaikafaik.

Furthermore, I think there are tons of other applications for such as app (other than the employee thing). For example, sending an sms automaticaly to some one on their birthday etc. Seems like a good idea to me...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

Furthermore, I think there are tons of other applications for such as app (other than the employee thing). For example, sending an sms automaticaly to some one on their birthday etc. Seems like a good idea to me...
    I absolutely agree with this idea and you can add my name to the list of those who would like an application like this to be available and I would $upport it too. I always like to send texts on Bdays and Holidays but sometimes forget so an app that will do it for me tied to a calendar event would be great.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    I've been a big shot manager and a Director of Product Development in past jobs. I'm not sure of the caliber of people you are working with, but I've always treated employees as adults and as such have never needed such an app.

Perhaps you could suggest to the employee who needs wake up calls that he or she invest in an alarm clock. Also you could suggest to your other employees that they start managing their lives themselves.

As long as you treat a normal adult as a child they will probably act like one. Also, by taking care of them in the manner you are describing can lead them to hold you responsible for their failures. That is not helping them any and hurting you.

DHAnderson, you sound like such an arrogant SOB. I wasn't asking for speculation on the caliber or age of my employees. Nor is the workplace the only place a feature like I was describing has relevance. I don't need a lesson from you about how to interact with people, or run my business. Shut your smack hole AND stay on topic.

This is not one of the many self-help groups you apparently frequent. This is a forum for discussion of hardware and software. I would like to say a lot more to you because you have offended me with your wild ignorance, but I will say this now, don't patronize me man. Leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by neotope
    Unless you work at McDonald's you really need some new employees.

If that is not an option you can also look into getting your employees more organized which will make them and you more productive. Perhaps get them each a Zire so they remember what they have to do and not you. You are being very inefficient if you have to remind employees what they have to do.
    neotope, I do run a restaurant. It is difficult and rewarding work I am proud to do. Please don't belittle me or my work. The utility I am suggesting has endless practical uses for business and personal applications.

For those of you who see the value of event triggered SMS messaging, first thanks for saying so. Secondly, what do we do now? Does anyone think there are existing apps that could be updated to have this ability? Do you think it would require an entirely new program? Who best could make this a reality for us?
    neotope, I do run a restaurant. It is difficult and rewarding work I am proud to do. Please don't belittle me or my work. The utility I am suggesting has endless practical uses for business and personal applications.
    Perhaps it does. I could see it being used for many things, but the comment that YOU need to wake up 30 mins earlier to call an employeee is probably what set the smacks off. Unless this guy has compromising pictures of you that you don't want to get out, why should you have to wake him up? Buy him a damn alarm clock!!

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Perhaps it does. I could see it being used for many things, but the comment that YOU need to wake up 30 mins earlier to call an employeee is probably what set the smacks off. Unless this guy has compromising pictures of you that you don't want to get out, why should you have to wake him up? Buy him a damn alarm clock!!
    Indeed, but between all the money I spend buying everyone a Zire and buying that kid an alarm clock I'm beginning to wonder if I wouldn't be better off just getting the software.
    Illbits,

I'm sorry if my post offended you, but the deliberate mis-quote ("Big Shot" was not in my original post), the name calling and vulgarity is uncalled for.
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    This would be a nice app to have. The idea about sending mms to people for b-days etc. is a great idea.

illbits - maybe this should be posted at mytreo.net also?
    Indeed, but between all the money I spend buying everyone a Zire and buying that kid an alarm clock I'm beginning to wonder if I wouldn't be better off just getting the software.
    I think you'd be better off with more conscientious employees...but thats just my opinion.

Shut your smack hole AND stay on topic.
    If you were worried about topic you would have left out the inflamatory comments about "firing" people. You know that everyone hates an ******* boss and would feel compelled to respond to your stupid comments. That's why you included them. You're just a troll who happens to have posted a good idea. Some guys just like getting into a good argument.

BTW, a similar function might be achieved using an on-line calendar like yahoo but it would be nice to have the treo do it. It's not always easy to update an online calendar.
    yes i agree, this would be a great app to have it if exists. what i don't understand is calling an employee to wake them up to make sure they are at work on time. you should fire the person if they are always delinquent. i'm not here to do your job or tell you what to do, just my opinion.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    Illbits,

I'm sorry if my post offended you, but the deliberate mis-quote ("Big Shot" was not in my original post), the name calling and vulgarity is uncalled for.
    My apoloogies DHA, that was inappropriate. I'll stay on topic here, sorry about the deliberate misquote. As for firing everyone, sounds appealing but I'm just talking software here and apparently chose a hot button example.

But back to the app. Anyone have ideas about who could make this a reality?
    I work in a high school and routinely tell students that are late "Once you get out in the real world and start a real job, there will be no one to wake you up. You have to be responsible and learn to wake yourself in time to get to work."

Guess I was wrong...................I hope someone out there will teach them the lesson

BTW, your idea still sounds good. I would like an app like that too
    Interesting idea for a program. Should be fairly easy to throw something together, then a little longer to make it polished.

I'll try to have something for people to test by Monday.

Tom
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroGuy
    Interesting idea for a program. Should be fairly easy to throw something together, then a little longer to make it polished.

I'll try to have something for people to test by Monday.

Tom
    Excellent
    Hey just to let you guys know, there is an app that does what we are asking for. It is SMS Scheduler though I haven't tested to see if it fully works with a T650 and it is shareware. I'm going to try it out but I'd still love to see Pyro's creation.

*Link edited to point to version that supports T650
    Last edited by Roameo; 06/19/2005 at 09:11 AM.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast