1.    #1  
    :shortcut: Short Version: End Resets by starting over from scratch (Hard Reset). It works.

:menu: Long Version:
    I was so besieged with issues (eh, suburbanite language for p*ssed off) on my Treo that I literally felt like ebaying it. I was resetting everyday...several times a day, bluetooth was broken, etc.

So, after parusing T, I said: let me HotSync, do a BackUp then do a Hard Reset, No 'Enable Local Network Time' and start over, one app at a time and backup each setup after running with no problems on every installed app.

Well folks, I have gone TWO days without a single reset and about 90% of the apps I want to use (still havent loaded DocsToGo, McPhling, VoiceDial, etc yet).

I think:
    a) the hardware is fine--not counting the stupid places they put things. It does work.
    b) OS 5.4.x is finickier than the older 5.x...probably especially more on this phone/PDA.
    c) It is the apps that cause 90% of the resets.
    c2) LauncherX 1.1.1 is about 95% OK on T650. There are some quirks.

Final analysis: I like separate devices for the simple fact that they are separate. My phone was DUMB, works and worked for 3 dutiful years and never misfired...no reset button and no reset button needed. My Tungsten T had its issues...patches and all. Apps made the thing convulse at times. But I love(d) it. But the two could not talk.

T650 is the best smartphone running Palm OS in the world today. It will do until something else comes out (wishing for Samsung i550 running OS5/OS6).
    Congrats on achieving this milestone. I hope your post helps many other folks out there who may be a bit frustrated with their 650s.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  3.    #3  
    I let out a few steps but I don't want to run out of ink on my digital typewriter...

I also renamed my folder inside "C:\Program Files\palmOne\<UserFolder>" by preceeding it with "20050612_", the day I save the folder. This makes the Palm Desktop EMPTY. I manually copied my addresses, my calender, etc. But there was nothing in backup or otherwises to screw up my virgin T650 (pardon the puns). Only thing I lost was my categories but I still have the original folder so someday I might figure it out. But it has made having my T650 a joy for 2 days.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    The suggestion to start fresh (don't hotsynch your existing stuff) has been made over and over. Thanks for providing one more experience that affirms this is the only way to go with the T650.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I would also recommend dbCacheTool.
    If you all remember the benefactors of the win32 kernel, namely Windows 95, 98, ME, then you remember "blue screens of death" at every turn, the need to reboot many time a day, even if you were simply just looking at your desktop. This is a stark contrast to the NT kernel (Windows NT, 2000, XP) which is a complete departure from the fundamentally flawed architecture of the win32 kernel. Now, a "blue screens of death" is a rare thing and may actually indicate a hardware problem such as defective RAM.
    The major difference between the two OS was how applications interacted with their environment, the underlying platform. In the case of win32, any application could access and alter environment properties that could render the OS more unstable then it was after a fresh reboot (picture a house of cards). Any app could be the door slam or sneeze that crashed the system. On the other hand, the NT kernel islolates each app, and as such, an application can fail and do so in its own little world without (usually) effecting the OS or other resident applications.
    The Palm OS is, unfortunately, in the win32 state of development. It is a flawed architecture by design which is in a desperate need of a rewrite.
    Quote Originally Posted by kohnvize
    ...The Palm OS is, unfortunately, in the win32 state of development. It is a flawed architecture by design which is in a desperate need of a rewrite.
    The Palm OS is designed to be exceptionally lightweight and run with little memory and a slow processor, and run well. It does that.

It was also design in such a way that is was very easy (too easy?) to develop applications - including mis-behaving applications.

The result is a stable platform which is vulnerable to poorly written applications. The Treo 650 with the change in memory structure is even MORE vulnerable to mis-behaving applications.

The change coming up to the LINUX kernel may change all that, but at a cost - no longer will the Palm OS run on really lightweight systems, but it likely will be more stable and will multi-task well, most likely. Because of that, though, it is likely that many new applications will not be backwards-compatible.

Such is life - you really CAN'T get it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    The result is a stable platform which is vulnerable to poorly written applications. The Treo 650 with the change in memory structure is even MORE vulnerable to mis-behaving applications.
    Thus, it is not stable. Being "...even MORE vulnerable to mis-behaving applications" is not a sign of stability. Fault tolerance is a mainstay of software engineering. The Palm OS is not fault tolerant and therefore is not stable. It is possible that the implementation on the 650 is poor and that otherwise the Palm OS is stable in other incarnations on other devices. This has not been the case, though. The PocketPC platform is also unstable, but I hope that with the experience that MS has garnered over the years that its transition towards stability will be speedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kohnvize
    ...The PocketPC platform is also unstable, but I hope that with the experience that MS has garnered over the years that its transition towards stability will be speedy.
    I wouldn't count on it. I have to reboot my Windows 2000/XP devices disturbingly frequently - the most common cause is actually a Microsoft application. I don't want to get into MS bashing - that's a little too easy and not really productive anyway.

It's going to be a looooong time, if ever, before third-party apps will really be prevented from crashing a system.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I found an tech note from a developer which talks about the NVFS problems of the Treo. From the Treo behaviors I've seen, this description seems to make more sense than anything else I've read:
    http://www.resco.net/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=292

Do you guys think this is acurate? Seems to make sense to me...

-Jacob
    It certainly is one of the issues. The NVFS is a good intentioned idea with a problematic implementation.
    That wiorked for me also. I didn't rename the user file, just the backup file where all the apps are stored. After the reset I did a hot sync and everything is up to snuff. I have been slowly restoring the apps, backing up before each app, and after if it doean't cause a problem. Time consuming - YES, but worth it because the previous issues (resets) seem to be gone. For the backup I use BackupMan but there are lots of choices available
    Samsung SCH3500 - Sanyo 4900 - Samsung I500 - Treo 650, and loving it!!!