Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried Seven Networks' Personal Edition email application? I just signed up for their beta program. At first blush it looks like a nice email program. I am interested in getting my companies Notes emails... will keep you posted. Testing it with my Verizon Treo 650.

Brief blurb from their readme file....

"This application provides simple, secure access to your corporate
    or personal Internet mail, files, and information from any
    mobile device or computer. For a complete list of supported
    devices, contact Seven Networks, Inc.."
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyg54
    Has anyone tried Seven Networks' Personal Edition email application? I just signed up for their beta program. At first blush it looks like a nice email program. I am interested in getting my companies Notes emails... will keep you posted. Testing it with my Verizon Treo 650.

Brief blurb from their readme file....

"This application provides simple, secure access to your corporate
    or personal Internet mail, files, and information from any
    mobile device or computer. For a complete list of supported
    devices, contact Seven Networks, Inc.."
    Seven makes BizConnect for Sprint
    since you're a Verizon user, you might to try Verizon's free Wireless Sync product.
    learn more at www.wirelesssync.vzw.com (no I don't work for Verizon).
    WS comes in three flavors, much like Seven/Sprint Business Connection:
    - individual redirector (ya gotta leave your PC on & connected to Notes to get email & stuff sent to your device
    - a departmental flavor. One PC in the company acts as the 'server', if you will. You can take your PC with you. Supports up to about 20/25 users...
    These two options are both no cost.
    - third option is a full blown server. Costs $$ - you'd have to get that from Verizon. Unlimited users.

So - you have many choices out there. I only bring all this up since you're a VZ user (in fact I don't even know if you can use the SEVEN beta unless you have a Sprint account. Maybe.)

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Seven makes BizConnect for Sprint
    and also makes XpressMail for cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    since you're a Verizon user, you might to try Verizon's free Wireless Sync product.
    learn more at www.wirelesssync.vzw.com (no I don't work for Verizon).
    WS comes in three flavors, much like Seven/Sprint Business Connection:
    - individual redirector (ya gotta leave your PC on & connected to Notes to get email & stuff sent to your device
    - a departmental flavor. One PC in the company acts as the 'server', if you will. You can take your PC with you. Supports up to about 20/25 users...
    These two options are both no cost.
    - third option is a full blown server. Costs $$ - you'd have to get that from Verizon. Unlimited users.

So - you have many choices out there. I only bring all this up since you're a VZ user (in fact I don't even know if you can use the SEVEN beta unless you have a Sprint account. Maybe.)

Good luck.
    You can use SEVEN Beta from any carrier however the Push mechanism may not work unless an open gateway is available for the SMS's.
    After trying half a dozen other apps, I've been using Seven's beta software from behind a corporate firewall for just short of a year. It has been extremely stable and reliable, and continues to get better as they refine it. Attachment support hasn't been the strongest suit, but has gotten a lot better with the last client upgrade (although a built-in pdf viewer remains on my personal unfulfilled wish list). Similarly, address book look-up is also improving. Overall, highly recommended.
    FYI, there is an NDA you agree to when you sign up for the beta, so I wouldn't discuss anything about the product here.
    Is "beta" better than xpressmail personal?

Does it sync calender?
    Quote Originally Posted by menachh
    Is "beta" better than xpressmail personal?

Does it sync calender?
    I'm on Sprint, so I haven't tried xpressmail personal. The beta does sync calendar, and also allows you to create meetings and send invitations (and of course accept invitations) if you have group functionality, such as with MS Exchange. A few other facts:

syncs most recent 300 messages (or you can select to sync less)
    allows access to a desktop or network folder for documents
    allows native attachment handling with DataViz Docs to Go
    allows access to Global Address List, as well as Palm Address functionality

Another change with the most recent version is that it uses an IP push technology instead of SMS triggers. This is transparent to me, but might make a difference to some people.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. The latest version is very usable and the service has been mostly stable for the last 18 months.
    Xpressmail (the application for Cingular, from Seven) ver 6.3.1.506 syncs the Calendar, allows access to a file folder on the PC. It does not have a way for saving attachments or opening them in DTG. It shows text portions of attachments natively.

I also don't know of any way to delete calendar items (after I have accepted them).

Anyway, all this is with the released version of the application.

What version numbering scheme does Seven (or Sprint BC) use?

I like this application too.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Xpressmail (the application for Cingular, from Seven) ver 6.3.1.506 syncs the Calendar, allows access to a file folder on the PC. It does not have a way for saving attachments or opening them in DTG. It shows text portions of attachments natively.

I also don't know of any way to delete calendar items (after I have accepted them).

Anyway, all this is with the released version of the application.

What version numbering scheme does Seven (or Sprint BC) use?

I like this application too.
    The current beta version is 6.5.0.4. In this version, calendar sync has been improved in many small ways. You can also delete calendar items. The native file viewing works quite well, though it may not be useful to most. You can still preview, rather than view natively. This can be quicker, especially for larger documents, as it only downloads 10k at a time. Another new feature I forgot to mention is that you can now attach customized signatures to your e-mail. Over all the user interface has improved somewhat. This biggest improvement for me is in addressing e-mails, as the pick list seems to remember your recent choices better, and searching your Palm address list is very fast. Also, the pick list of recently used addresses integrates both corporate contacts and Palm contacts on the same screen.
    Look forward to updating when the final version is released ... I hope Cingular doesn't hold up the release (like it has with the firmware).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I've tried almost all the desktop based and many of the Enterprise email solutions for the Treo. I'm currently a beta participant and on the Advisory Council for the Seven Enterprise solution, and I can unbiasedly report that it is very stable and reliable.

After playing with many features of these email programs, it really boiled down to reliability for me. Seven has some great features, which are protected in the NDA, but if you get the opportunity to participate in the beta's, go for it. It's a great product.
    Seven Networks also is the interface for Yahoo/Sprint Mail. It sync both your Yahoo mail and Yahoo address book.
    -Flash123
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    I'm on Sprint, so I haven't tried xpressmail personal. The beta does sync calendar, and also allows you to create meetings and send invitations (and of course accept invitations) if you have group functionality, such as with MS Exchange. A few other facts:

syncs most recent 300 messages (or you can select to sync less)
    allows access to a desktop or network folder for documents
    allows native attachment handling with DataViz Docs to Go
    allows access to Global Address List, as well as Palm Address functionality

Another change with the most recent version is that it uses an IP push technology instead of SMS triggers. This is transparent to me, but might make a difference to some people.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. The latest version is very usable and the service has been mostly stable for the last 18 months.
    By sycing calender., I meant does it sync with the palm calender.

Also, one big problem with the release version is that if for some reason the redirector disconnects the program does not try to reconnect. Does the beta try to reconnect?
    Quote Originally Posted by menachh
    By sycing calender., I meant does it sync with the palm calender.

Also, one big problem with the release version is that if for some reason the redirector disconnects the program does not try to reconnect. Does the beta try to reconnect?
    I hope it doesn't. I like the way my palm calendar (with my personal stuff) is now separate from the Xpressmail calendar (my work stuff).

I totally agree about the redirector.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I hope it doesn't. I like the way my palm calendar (with my personal stuff) is now separate from the Xpressmail calendar (my work stuff).

I totally agree about the redirector.
    While I would like to keep my personal stuff seperate, the fact is that currently you can't enter new calender items into exchange outlook from the palm device which is a pain.

What is really needed is an option within hotsync to limit what it syncs based on catagoryis. I think "activesync" for pocket PC does have this feature.

Also, besides for the desktop redirector trying to reconnect after a disconnect. The palm side should if its on timed sync should notify you there is a problem. Right now it only does it on a manual sync.

The bottom line is that it's hard to complain on a product that is currently free but I would prefer to pay say $100 and get something that is robust so I can rely on it. The fact is that if you want to compete with blackberry you have to make sure your software is working at the same time theirs is working. In my work enviorment as in many others the other people have blackberry's and unless my company's server or internet connection is down, I should always be getting my emails.
    It's not fair to compare the Personal Edition to Blackberry. Seven has a corporate solution that installs the "redirector" on the Exchange Server. That will be more robust than the desktop redirector, but not free.

I do sync the Outlook calendar items using hotsync at work. I have palm desktop installed at home.

Work calendars and addressbook tend to be huge. I want to keep that separate from the handheld addressbook, calendar etc, and sync only selected items between them. I guess we both want the same thing...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    It's not fair to compare the Personal Edition to Blackberry. Seven has a corporate solution that installs the "redirector" on the Exchange Server. That will be more robust than the desktop redirector, but not free.

I do sync the Outlook calendar items using hotsync at work. I have palm desktop installed at home.

Work calendars and addressbook tend to be huge. I want to keep that separate from the handheld addressbook, calendar etc, and sync only selected items between them. I guess we both want the same thing...
    Actually nothing ever gets installed on the Exchange Server. If you go with their Server Edition it goes on a standalone machine that acts as a large re-director for your corporation as opposed to an individual re-director which is what Personal Edition offers.
    Few questions I hope you can help with (if you used BC or Seven):
    - Can you set up the desktop redirector to work as a Windows service (so it runs even if I am not logged in)? in my workplace someone might need to log into my machine and thus log me out...
    - Is it secure (I mean... will my MIS/IT become somewhat upset with the concept)?
    - Can it handle a POP account (personal) in ADDITION to the exchange connection? if yes, will this 2nd account support push as well?

thanks!
    Ix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast