Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Ok,
    Well, I have had a cell phone for the better part of the last 12 years. I've had motorola bag phones, Bell atlantic branded bar phones and most recently, my Motorola V710. I've become a heavy phone user with the purchase of the motorola (And the nature of my job). Its not uncommon for me to rack up 5k minutes a month. Well, needless to say, my 710 has not been able to stand up to said use. I am on number 9 and its not even been a year!

Well, last time I talked to Verizon, they offered to get me into a different phone seeing as this one was not working out. I had a few "must-haves" which included removable media, bluetooth, camera, video messaging, and a few others. Enter, the TREO 650. I checked it out, I liked the features, and I fell in love. Mine will be here tomorrow. I am hoping that by going from having phone-doubling-as-a-pda to getting a pda-doubling-as-a-phone I will find happiness, and, above all, reliability.

Now the fear. I have researched the heck out of this phone. I've read many reveiws from customers, I've searched through posts on this website, the howard site, and the Shadowmite site. It appears that this phone has its share of negative reviews, but, i figure that consumers typically voice negative opinions about ten times more often than they do positives. I am hoping that I'm not going to be frustrated too much. This is my first step into this world, and I am quite computer savvy, which seems to be the biggest complaint.

anyhow, if anyone has any quick advice that you think will make my transition easier, please share.

one more thing, i've read through several posts here and it really appears that a great group of people have embraced this phone. That's a positive sign! Looking forward to chatting with you all real soon.... FROM my new celly!

Thanks again,
    Jason
    My best advice is to read the threads that interest you. And if you don't see the one you need, search for it. There is a wealth of information on this board.

And welcome!

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I suggest installing a backup program, and then have fun. If you mess things up, you can always do a quick restore from your backup. Yes, you can also restore by syncing, but restoring from a backup is quicker and easier.

Also, I suggest reading the manual cover-to-cover to get a good overview.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Welcome!!!

I agree with your assessment: few people come to say they are happy. Two different polls taken recently had the "I love my Treo" category above 90%.

Doesn't sound like you are "upgrading" from a prior Palm device -- so you should be all set there.

If you are going to use Docs to Go . . read this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=free+memory
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick replies. I will be sure to check out the manual. not sure what "docs to go" is. I will find out though. I've not had a palm device. I am a former Dell Axim user. I got one of the first gens. It's handy for carrying my contacts with me, but the technology has been outran by a lot. Hopefully the Treo will feel new. I'm sure it will especially with the nice screen.
    I received mine on Saturday. There's been absolutely no problems at all - and like you this is my first Palm ever. The documentation manual included with it is very helpful. The manual suggests that you let it charge for 4 hours the first time - do this and read the manual those 4 hours It'll help you a lot with any questions you have. There's tons of programs for it, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8hifi
    Thanks for the quick replies. I will be sure to check out the manual. not sure what "docs to go" is. I will find out though. I've not had a palm device. I am a former Dell Axim user. I got one of the first gens. It's handy for carrying my contacts with me, but the technology has been outran by a lot. Hopefully the Treo will feel new. I'm sure it will especially with the nice screen.
    Docs to Go should either have come installed, or is on the CD. This program allows you to read and and create MSWord and MSExcel documents. This is the program that will open such an attachment to an E-mail you might receive.

Definitely get VersaMail set up and going. Nothing like accessing e-mail where ever you are!

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Docs to Go should either have come installed, or is on the CD. This program allows you to read and and create MSWord and MSExcel documents. This is the program that will open such an attachment to an E-mail you might receive.

Definitely get VersaMail set up and going. Nothing like accessing e-mail where ever you are!

Cheers, Perry.
    Yup. Docs to Go and VersaMail were on the installation CD when I received my 650 from Verizon - they were optional along with like 10 other programs.
    I for one, am very happy with my Verizon 650. I have been using Palms for years and am good with computers, so that certainly helps. However, you should be able to pick up the Palm side of it and run with it. This forum can provide some great information, probably the best, most updated Treo discussion. Don't throw everything you can on your new Treo. Take it easy and add things a bit at a time. You shouldn't have any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8hifi
    Ok,
    Well, I have had a cell phone for the better part of the last 12 years. I've had motorola bag phones, Bell atlantic branded bar phones and most recently, my Motorola V710. I've become a heavy phone user with the purchase of the motorola (And the nature of my job). Its not uncommon for me to rack up 5k minutes a month. Well, needless to say, my 710 has not been able to stand up to said use. I am on number 9 and its not even been a year!

Well, last time I talked to Verizon, they offered to get me into a different phone seeing as this one was not working out. I had a few "must-haves" which included removable media, bluetooth, camera, video messaging, and a few others. Enter, the TREO 650. I checked it out, I liked the features, and I fell in love. Mine will be here tomorrow. I am hoping that by going from having phone-doubling-as-a-pda to getting a pda-doubling-as-a-phone I will find happiness, and, above all, reliability.

Now the fear. I have researched the heck out of this phone. I've read many reveiws from customers, I've searched through posts on this website, the howard site, and the Shadowmite site. It appears that this phone has its share of negative reviews, but, i figure that consumers typically voice negative opinions about ten times more often than they do positives. I am hoping that I'm not going to be frustrated too much. This is my first step into this world, and I am quite computer savvy, which seems to be the biggest complaint.

anyhow, if anyone has any quick advice that you think will make my transition easier, please share.

one more thing, i've read through several posts here and it really appears that a great group of people have embraced this phone. That's a positive sign! Looking forward to chatting with you all real soon.... FROM my new celly!

Thanks again,
    Jason

You will like this phone.

You may want to wait for a week or two before loading up your Treo with all sorts of Palm applications. It's often these apps that can cause resets and stability problems on the Treo. If you wait a week or so, you'll have a better idea of how your device is performing. Then start loading apps up judiciously.

Have fun.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I work for the government (I know, you've all heard THAT before). Well, in my current capacity, I travel from Charleston, SC to Pensacola, FL bi weekly. I am usually on the phone nearly the whole way which is an almost 10 hour trip. It doesnt take long to have a really bad acting motorola. I am getting my 650 tomorrow then i take my trip East on Friday. I come back west early Sunday. This will prove to be the real acid test. If i dont get any reboots while in the MIDDLE of phone calls using my BT headset, I think I will definately be starting out on the right foot. My 710 suffers SEVERAL reboots in the course of one leg of my trips. Using text messaging, the WAP browser or any other feature only worsens it. I am still reading through post learning. I'm typically the kind of person that installs as few apps as possible (especially with regards to my PC OS). I feel that the more I put on there the more I notice glitches, which usually result in me getting frustrated and re-formatting the whole thing (gotta love slip streamed installs though). I am sure I will leave the palm alone for at least a little while. I've seen where people are attempting to get the Wi-Fi working, this is one thing I may mess with later on, but not immediately. For the time being, I am getting the overpriced unlimited data plan. That should keep me happy till the gurus figure ou the Wi-Fi.
    after I have had a few days of "Break-in" I will post my reveiw of the device.
    Looking forward to playing, er~, I mean working!
    J~
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Welcome!!!

I agree with your assessment: few people come to say they are happy. Two different polls taken recently had the "I love my Treo" category above 90%.

Doesn't sound like you are "upgrading" from a prior Palm device -- so you should be all set there.

If you are going to use Docs to Go . . read this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=free+memory
    I'm not much for adding a lot of extra programs on my Treo but Perry's recommendation above was great! I freed 4 MB on my Treo. I've also found FileZ and Zlauncher (don't use Zlauncher as my default launcher, just when I have problems...) very useful.
    My advice is to go slow on installing third-party applications. Use the phone "virgin" for a a few days before adding any third-party apps. When you do, add apps one at a time so that you will know which one is causing problem right away.

We have two Treo 650s in the houseshold and my wife and I can't be more satisified. Enjoy your Treo 650.
    my advice would be to not put it in the dishwasher. i also would stay away from using it to wax your car, as the stylus has a pointy end that may scratch the finish. oh, and back up frequently.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    the advice given above will definently help you but one major thing I would suggest is to make an uninstall program your first install so that when you try out new apps and decide to delete everything that came with it goes..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Be afraid. Be very afr...reset! Reset! RESET!!