Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    1. The emails I have seen render better on Snapper.
    2. I don't think Versamail has a "junk" feature like Snappermail, which makes it easy and fast to burn through tons of emails.
    For #1. Actaully, I disagree with you. That was my point of the post, that I discovered Versamail renders HTML email better than Snapper.
    I've attached some screen shots (as close as I could get to) comparing the same email with Versamail, Snappermail, and on a PC using outlook express (MSIE.)
    Note the versmail looks a lot more like the PC version, and Snapper has this habit of underlining a lot of text that shouldn't be (happens a lot.)
    Also Versamail shows image placeholders with the "alt" text in the placeholders, snapper simply removes the images altogether. I like having the placeholders with the text. Often those images have links associated with them, so with versmail you can click the image placeholder to follow the link. Since Snapper doesn't show the place holders, you can't click the link (you don't even know it's there.)

On #2, Versmail has a similar feature. This is one thing I like about Snapper is that you just hit the J button to junk an email locally and on the server. But with versmail whe you 'delete' each email, it asks you if you want to delete it off the server. You can pick yes/no for each email individually and when you empty the trash folder, it removes them from the server. It's very close in functionality, just a different way of going about it.

I really like the "show server icons" (in the folders view menu item) on Snappermail. The icon shows if the mail is on the server or not, I really like this. Something I'll miss with Versmail.

Some complaints I have about Snapper that I hope they'll fix:
    1) I use XPress mail PUSH feature. When push is enabled in XPress mail, Snapper mail refuses to auto-fetch email because it thinks the "device is in use." So as long as XPress mail push is ON, Snapper won't get mail automatically.
    2) Check mail manually, say it downloads 5 messages. Then on the next automatically scheduled sync it downloads 5 more messages. The alert pop up message says 'You have 10 new emails' for Snappermail. Somehow it doesn't 'count' those you retrieved manually until it gets some from an auto sync.

I'm going to use both of them for about a week. I'll see if Versamail does everything I want. I MIGHT just give up on Snappermail as my main mail program once and for all.

I'm a Snappermail fan, so this is a big deal for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taylorh; 06/17/2005 at 06:56 PM.
    Here are more comparative screen shots
    And 1 more
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    On #2, Versmail has a similar feature. This is one thing I like about Snapper is that you just hit the J button to junk an email locally and on the server. But with versmail whe you 'delete' each email, it asks you if you want to delete it off the server. You can pick yes/no for each email individually and when you empty the trash folder, it removes them from the server. It's very close in functionality, just a different way of going about it.
    One thing to point out about VersaMail is that you don't have to delete each mail individually. You can just go through placing a check mark next to each one that you want to delete, and then delete them all in one batch. Also, you can remove the delete confirmation if you want to (its in the Preferences under deletion) so that you don't have to confirm you want to delete after each one, and also make it so that it will automatically delete from the server after deleting from VersaMail (in the Preferences under Server).

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    Last edited by jacobh; 06/17/2005 at 10:49 PM.
    Well, after 5 days of using Versamail, the verdict is Snappermail Wins.
    Things I liked about Versamail:
    1)Background mail fetch
    2)New messages envelope icon on the phone screen (w/ number of new messages.)
    3)Renders HTML Email a than Snappermail, but Snappermail does a very good job and the difference isn't worth it.

Things I missed (and like more) about Snappermail:
    1)"Server Icons" showing if message is on server or not. Also really easy to delete individual messages off the server this way without "trashing" the message.
    2)Single letter quick commands (highlight a message, press "D" to delete for example.) Once you get spoiled with this feature it's hard to do without. Makes management much faster/easier.
    3)5-way navigation in the GUI is better.
    4)Will archive old mail to your SD card if you like.
    5)Supports IMAP sub folders, Versamail only supports the main inbox. I don't usually use IMAP, but I do have 1 IMAP account that ocasionally check.

Problems with Versamail:
    1)Tell it to download xxxKB of each message only applies to manual "get" and doesn't apply to autosync. Autosync only gets the first few KB of a message regardless. What's the point, I want it to get the entire message in the background, not make me have to manually retrieve it every time. This got old fast.
    2)Autosync ocasionally would download my entire inbox rather than just the last 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, etc. Ususally works right, just ocasionally on a freak occurance will get all of it.
    3)Doesn't support IMAP subfolders.

Conclusion: Versmail isn't bad, has it's strong points, but Snappermail is simply better overall for POP and IMAP.
    Last edited by taylorh; 11/01/2005 at 09:41 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    The only thing I don't like about Versamail is that it doesn't show the images. other than that it's alright.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    After updating to the 1.12 firmware, I tried out Versamail 3.1B and it locked up my Treo the first time I checked my mail. After resetting, all of my saved preferences and registrations were gone and Hot Sync restore did not work. Thank goodness for BackupBuddyVFS. Snapper simply works every time. I never have to worry about it. Versamail isn't worth the aggravation.
    Thanks for your breakdown, Taylor. Very helpful in considering the two.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Well, after 5 days of using Versamail, the verdict is Snappermail Wins.
    Things I liked about Versamail:
    2)New messages envelope icon on the phone screen (w/ number of new messages.)
    This is such a small thing, and yet I really want to make it work with Snapper.

I used Snapper on my 600, and like you gave VersaMail a shot on the 650. I agree VersaMail is a strong contender, but here are the reasons it does not work for me:

1) I cannot use the email hard button to scroll through mailboxes - a really handy feature of Snapper (I've consolidated to two main accounts, but will not consolidate further for a while).
    2) I prefer being able to highlight messages for mass manipulation in Snapper, rather than hitting the check-boxes of Versa.
    3) I prefer the deletion options given (choosing to Junk, delete just on server, or delete just locally) for Snapper.

Man I would love to get that email notifier icon working with it though...
    Last edited by ZenithNadir; 06/29/2005 at 09:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Hey taylorh, looking at the lack of images in the Snapper views does this mean Snapper uses less KB transfer when checking email? I use Snapper and like it for it's basic look, if I want to see HTML email in all it's glory I can wait until I'm at home or work to view them.
    Is there an annual service fee for Snapper and what is it?

Tks in advance.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    No.
    Tks PabloTX
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    Hey taylorh, looking at the lack of images in the Snapper views does this mean Snapper uses less KB transfer when checking email? I use Snapper and like it for it's basic look, if I want to see HTML email in all it's glory I can wait until I'm at home or work to view them.
    No, I don't think it's any different. Versamail simply puts up the empty image placeholders (empty boxes) where the image would normally be. Snapper simply doesn't bother. It's really no big deal except that SOME images have 'alt' text with them, and if the image placeholder is there you can see the description of the image. With snapper because it isn't htere the email can sometimes not make any sense.
    Raally no big del.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12