1.    #1  
    O-Max is offering a deal on the T650.

$449 after $150 Instant rebate
    -$150 w/ Earthlink service activation

$299 Total.

The only thing is the Earthlink service. Does anyone know if these particular PalmOne devices will work fine if I dont choose Earthlink and go with another provider.
    Is there anything within the programming that restricts you to only using Earthlink. I know Cingular does that with its T650.
    Earthlink is an MVNO of CDMA carriers, so you wouldn't be able to use it on GSM networks such as Cingular. You wouldn't be able to activate it on Sprint, but you should be able to on many other CDMA networks.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Earthlink is an MVNO of CDMA carriers, so you wouldn't be able to use it on GSM networks such as Cingular. You wouldn't be able to activate it on Sprint, but you should be able to on many other CDMA networks.

With that being said, the device itself is has PalmOne on it. It doesnt have Earthlink on the phone. When you purchase from Sprint, VZ, Cingular, etc it has their logo on the top left hand corner of the phone, with this phone it has a palmone logo so I would think it is no specific to any service carrier.

Correct me if Im wrong please.
    MisterFuhrman,
    Why do you say it couldn't be activated on sprint? I understood that Earthlink is using the Sprint system to support Treo's web features, etc. Seems that it might work with a Sprint account without major issues.
    I looked at getting a Earthlink T650, but when I tried to get some questions answered at the local stores the clerks were totally clueless. In one case I couldn't even get them to admit that had anything other than pre-paid.

As jrfaris suggests it uses the Sprint network so the coverage remains the same. And on the downside a plan similar to the one I have with Sprint costs twice what I now pay.
    EarthLink is an MVNO of Sprint. So you pretty much get identical service as a Sprint 650 minus a few of their Vision bells and whistles (e.g. no picture mail but you can email pictures) but plus some Earthlink goodies like their mail client which is really a version of SnapperMail.
    Actually I checked the current Sprint plans, and it is only $10 less than the Earthlink plan package. Which is why I have never signed a new contract with Sprint and am reluctant to switch carriers. It also help that up until recently Sprint was the only carrier in the area that support Datalink or Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    MisterFuhrman,
    Why do you say it couldn't be activated on sprint? I understood that Earthlink is using the Sprint system to support Treo's web features, etc. Seems that it might work with a Sprint account without major issues.
    Technologically speaking, an Earthlink Treo 650 would most likely be fully compatible with Sprint's network. However Sprint's policy is that they do not activate foreign ESN's under any circumstances. That means if it's not a Sprint branded device, the ESN won't be in their database and they will not add it. It would be virtually impossible to use a non-Sprint branded phone on Sprint. From what I have read Verizon has been known to activate foreign ESN's with a little coaxing.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    Technologically speaking, an Earthlink Treo 650 would most likely be fully compatible with Sprint's network. However Sprint's policy is that they do not activate foreign ESN's under any circumstances. That means if it's not a Sprint branded device, the ESN won't be in their database and they will not add it. It would be virtually impossible to use a non-Sprint branded phone on Sprint. From what I have read Verizon has been known to activate foreign ESN's with a little coaxing.
    You are correct sir!!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I did *2 before activating my phone and got Sprint support. The phone's fully compatible with Sprint. However, Sprint won't activate phones that they did not sell. Bastards!

I wish that they would introduce the R-UIM technology in the USA. It's basically a SIM for CDMA phones. Change your phone whenever you like.