Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I just bought a new Treo 650, and it's my first Palm device since owning a Palm Vx years ago. Needless to say, I'm in love with it.

I have a question though. I went a little nuts, and downloaded a bunch of shareware and demos to install and try out, and now my Treo seems to be a bit of a mess, with a whole bunch of extra files installed that I'm not sure about.

Now that I have an idea of what specific software I want to use, and now that I've discovered great programs like Uninstall and Cleanup, I want to sort of start fresh.

I was worried about doing one of those data resets, because I don't want to lose the basic phone settings, etc. (whatever settings it uses to connect to the cingular network, know my number, etc.).

What would be the best way for me to just start fresh, and then install the utilities and launchers I want, and then just install the few bits of software I want to keep on it, without screwing around with the necessary prefs/etc. for the Treo itself?

Thanks!

-Zadillo
    A hard reset is safe to do. You're carrier specific settings should be kept intact.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Cool. Thanks. I've been trying to learn about the Treo by reading the various forum posts here (especially the "recommended threads" sticky).

It's been a bit of a learning process, since things are really different since the last time I used a Palm.

So far I have discovered ZLauncher (I had tried out Launcher X, since I used to like the old Launcher III program, but it doesn't support navigation with the clickwheel, so I'm sort of out of luck on that), Card Export II, Cleanup, Filez, Uninstall and The Core Media Player.

Now that I know what utilities I want to use, as well as what games and other apps I want, I think I should be in better shape to start fresh (and with Uninstall installed from the get go, it seems like it should make it easier to get rid of those various shareware games that seem to install a bunch of other stuff in memory).

Is there anything else though I should be aware of? Anything else useful for Palm OS or the Treo 650 in particular? I'm still using Firmware 1.05, but I see something about some new Firmware coming out.
    Quote Originally Posted by zadillo
    Cool. Thanks. I've been trying to learn about the Treo by reading the various forum posts here (especially the "recommended threads" sticky).
    Congratulations. You're probably the first.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by zadillo

It's been a bit of a learning process, since things are really different since the last time I used a Palm.

So far I have discovered ZLauncher (I had tried out Launcher X, since I used to like the old Launcher III program, but it doesn't support navigation with the clickwheel, so I'm sort of out of luck on that), Card Export II, Cleanup, Filez, Uninstall and The Core Media Player.

Now that I know what utilities I want to use, as well as what games and other apps I want, I think I should be in better shape to start fresh (and with Uninstall installed from the get go, it seems like it should make it easier to get rid of those various shareware games that seem to install a bunch of other stuff in memory).

Is there anything else though I should be aware of? Anything else useful for Palm OS or the Treo 650 in particular? I'm still using Firmware 1.05, but I see something about some new Firmware coming out.
    you can now use the navigation buttons in Launcher X with the fix found on this site and at LauncherX planet.com

Sounds like you have Sprint...you may want to upgrade from firmware 1.05 to 1.08 first thing after the hard reset.

Welcome back to the Palm world.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks, actually I'm with Cingular right now, with firmware 1.05. Is there actually an official firmware upgrade for it? Doing a google search and searching through the forums the only thing I see is something labeled as a voicemail update (to 1.04).