Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Maybe this seems like an over-reaction, but it is not! There's lotsa important stuff I need to get via HotSync.

All of a sudden, HotSync won't work. Nothing in my setup has changed to my knowledge. I have a USB cable connection snuggly connected and double checked. It runs to my primary PC, a Dell Optiplex desktop box with Win2kPro. I have a Cingular Treo 650. I use Intellisync for connecting to Novell's Groupwise, but it doesn't get that far, so let's not blame IntelliSync. I tried rebooting my PC but no change. I connect the cable, hit the HotSync button, the Treo screen tries to connect but can't and gives the message "Hot Sync Problem: The connection between your handheld computer and desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again". I don't get the usual HotSync window on the PC discussing its status and progress the way I usually do, which again signals to me that the Palm and the PC ain't talking even a bit. I HotSync'ed as recently as 5 days ago. Late last week, I did HotSync with my home Apple iBook to load some mp3 music to the card (successful), but otherwise I did nothing unusual, and I changed no settings to my knowledge.

This is a big deal! Can anyone help? Is there an FAQ on this topic which must be very common?
    -- Josh in Syracuse
    Have you tried resetting the Treo?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    First I would verify that the Hot Sync manager was running. After that make sure the connectors on the cable and on the sync connector are CLEAN (alcohol works well for this).

In the course of the last three weeks I have had both of these things keep me from hot syncing. After trying for like two hours (on and off) to sync one day I read a post here that said to just clean the connectors, it's been working fine ever since.

Good luck!
    JW

BTW a search (on the 650 forum, don't be scared to use the advanced search feature) for Hot Sync problems would help if the easy stuff listed above does not work. This forum is just one big FAQ (questions are asked quite frequently in fact).
  4.    #4  
    I tried the reset, no improvement. I tried cleaning the connectors, no improvement.

The only thing I would change in my story above is that I did not actually sync the Treo with my home Apple iBook. Actually, I used the iBook and a card reader to copy stuff from old 128 mb card to new 1 gb card, but after doing so, it worked flawlessly and still hotsync'ed on my work Dell PC without any problem at least one time after moving to the new memory card. So the problem is still essentially that it has suddenly stopped hotsync'ing for no apparent reason.

-- Josh
  5.    #5  
    ok, now it's even worse.

I looked in the Treo manual. Suggested reset, suggested plugging into reliable USB port, then suggested uninstalling PalmOne software and reinstalling.

So I did that, and not only does it still not work, but it's stuck. The step in the installation process that requires the first hotsync with the Treo of course does nothing, just like before I started all this.

Help!
    -- Josh
    Does the hotsynch app on the Treo say Cradle/Cable?

If you right-click the hotsynch app in your systray (next to clock) is Local USB selected?

If you right-click the hotsynch app and go into Setup and click the local tab, which serial port is selected? Try changing it...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo

If you right-click the hotsynch app in your systray (next to clock) is Local USB selected?

If you right-click the hotsynch app and go into Setup and click the local tab, which serial port is selected? Try changing it...
    I'm now having the same problem in which I can no longer hotsync. My last one was performed 5/27/05. Each one after that, and I get the message, "unable to initiate hitsync operations because the port is in use by another application."

I am scratching my head because I dont know what the other application is supposed to be. I did install Kensington BT for XP, and then about a week later I uninstalled it.

I'm set to local USB....I didnt think any of my hotsync setting in the HS manager would have changed since I didnt change them myself. Upon investigating, all my setting are the same as they were BEFORE I installed anything for Bluetooth.

I need Help!!!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Try to move your wire from side to side once connected to the cable. I had a "short" or something where the wire connected to the plug in.
    Quote Originally Posted by deer8
    Try to move your wire from side to side once connected to the cable. I had a "short" or something where the wire connected to the plug in.
    I knew someone was going to say cable. Nothing was wrong with the cable that came with it and nothing is wrong with the new one I got today.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    when my friend had a problem syncing her treo...the desktop trouble shooting guide lead me to two things.

1) From the desktop Control Panel choose --> System --> Hardware -->Device Manager. There was a big Question Mark on one of the Port hardware profiles, stating there was a conflict. When I updated the drivers from the CD that came with the treo the Question Mark went away.

2) Right-Clicking on the HotSync Icon in the taskbar tray area choose --> Setup --> Local --> Serial Port: COM1 Speed: 9600. The speed was initial set to "As Fast As Possible"

After doing those two things she was able to HotSync. I'm not sure if this will work for you...but I'm just giving an account of how I solved a similar problem. Hope it helps.

[In order to be complete, I guess I should mention that I un-installed then re-installed the palm software unto her laptop]
    Last edited by RoTTyLr; 06/14/2005 at 08:31 PM. Reason: forgot a step
    Quote Originally Posted by RoTTyLr
    when my friend had a problem syncing her treo...the desktop trouble shooting guide lead me to two things....

Hope it helps.

I know I probably should have done the above process one-at-time to determine what actually helped solve her situation, But by the time she found out I had a treo she was really frustrated with her new TREO experience and was ready to return it and get a PPC.

She had spoken with P1 tech support as well as Sprint Tech support and noone could help her solve the problem for over a month. They told her the usual; reset the phone and reinstall the HotSync software. They even exchanged her treo a couple of times. Since she's been through so much I didn't really want to aggravate her anymore by asking the "Did you do this or that?" type questions. I just borrowed her laptop and treo and did the step I mentioned above. I think they're listed under the HotSync Help/Troubleshooting section. I usually do things incrementally to find out what solved and cause the problem. Sorry guys...can't explain what really helped.

But after over a month of agony she's now a proud TREO 650 owner.
    A working TREO is the best TREO
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

I'm now having the same problem in which I can no longer hotsync. My last one was performed 5/27/05. Each one after that, and I get the message, "unable to initiate hitsync operations because the port is in use by another application."

I am scratching my head because I dont know what the other application is supposed to be. I did install Kensington BT for XP, and then about a week later I uninstalled it.

I'm set to local USB....I didnt think any of my hotsync setting in the HS manager would have changed since I didnt change them myself. Upon investigating, all my setting are the same as they were BEFORE I installed anything for Bluetooth.

I need Help!!!
    Try changing the serial port. Also check device manager to see if any ports have a conflict.
    - Albert Einstein
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo

Yes, I'm afraid I did check that and Cradle/Cable is selected properly. Read on, the plot thickens...
    -- Josh
    PS have I mentioned recently "Aaaauuuggghhhh!" ?
  14.    #14  
    Ok, the story gets weirder.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the PalmOne software on my work Dell PC, the primary hotsync location for my Treo 650. Overlooked the part where the manual said, "uninstall, reboot, reinstall software". Oops, so I tried that. Nope, still didn't HotSync.

So I'm still left wondering, is it the Treo, the cable, or the PC that's screwed up?

I hotsync again and wiggle the cable connection at the base of the Treo. HotSync actually fires up on my work PC! It transfers, seemingly, the usual info via the usual conduits, then it gets stuck on my datebook. And it lingers. Nothing happening. PC says hotsync'ing, Treo says synchronizing calendar. Waiting. Waiting. Then... Treo resets itself.

I felt this was only a small success. Contact made, but still didn't accomplish hotsync.

So I go home, glum, of course. Figure, let's try hotsync on my home Apple iBook. First, Apple computers are vastly superior and nearly glitch-free (opening myself up for flame war, I know, but it could be humorous); second, it would test a different cable and different computer, with same Treo. If didn't hotsync, I'd figure it was the Treo.

But it hotsync'ed flawlessly.

Makes me suspect that after only 2+ months of light use, the sync cable that came with the Treo is damaged, no doubt from sitting motionless on my desk at work, of course. But the slightly newer one at home I got at the local CompUSA worked (of course, the Apple reputation was on the line, so it HAD to work).

Tomorrow I'll bring the cable from home to work and try it out.

If it doesn't work, I'll have one thing to say: Aaaauuuggggghhhhhh!

Thanks for tuning in,
    -- Josh in Syracuse
    Glad you got it sorted out..
    I'd be surprised to hear you say it's the cable, but good luck nonetheless.
    - Albert Einstein
  17.    #17  
    No, not sorted out, although I was a-hoping.

Got in to work, figured it might be the cable, tried the one that worked at home, didn't work.

So I uninstalled PalmOne software and uninstalled the Intellisync I use to connect with Novell's Groupwise. Reinstalled each. Now attempts Hotsync, connects, but then I get a "conflict with too many conduits and PIM" whatever error message. I've seen that before. Required going into Hotsync Manager custom setup to turn off conflicting conduits.

But HotSync Manager won't let me change any of the conduit settings. In fact, if I change a conduit setting to "do nothing" and "set as default" and then hit "Done" to save the settings, it first gives a message "file link categories will not be updated for this hotsync", and then crashes with an error message saying "Program Error. Hotsync.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program."

And when I try to open Palm Desktop, it gives an error message too as it opens itself up saying, "Error: Expreprt.exe module cannot be found".

Now how can Hotsync Manager be corrupted when it's just been freshly installed (for like the 3rd time today with Reboots in between) ???

All this stuff worked FINE only last week, and now catastrophe for no stinkin' reason. I am starting to lose hope.
    -- Josh
    Could you not attribute a bit of this to the possibly corrupted install when you didn't re-boot your machine? We already know this stuff is finicky (meaning the palm software), perhaps it's just plain hosed at this point. Have you uninstalled and re-installed with a re-boot between and then tried to manage the conduits?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej
    No, not sorted out, although I was a-hoping.

Got in to work, figured it might be the cable, tried the one that worked at home, didn't work.

So I uninstalled PalmOne software and uninstalled the Intellisync I use to connect with Novell's Groupwise. Reinstalled each. Now attempts Hotsync, connects, but then I get a "conflict with too many conduits and PIM" whatever error message. I've seen that before. Required going into Hotsync Manager custom setup to turn off conflicting conduits.

But HotSync Manager won't let me change any of the conduit settings. In fact, if I change a conduit setting to "do nothing" and "set as default" and then hit "Done" to save the settings, it first gives a message "file link categories will not be updated for this hotsync", and then crashes with an error message saying "Program Error. Hotsync.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program."

And when I try to open Palm Desktop, it gives an error message too as it opens itself up saying, "Error: Expreprt.exe module cannot be found".

Now how can Hotsync Manager be corrupted when it's just been freshly installed (for like the 3rd time today with Reboots in between) ???

All this stuff worked FINE only last week, and now catastrophe for no stinkin' reason. I am starting to lose hope.
    -- Josh
    I think this is an Intellesync issue. If you go to their web site, they have a proceedure for doing this correctly. I had the same problem with Lotus Notes. My fix was:
    1). uninstall everything
    go into the registry and remove all entries for the palm and pumatech Reboots are required throughout this process.

2). delete all directories for these products

3). re-install palm software ONLY

4). do a hotsync.

5). customize the conduits to do nothing (make sure you check the default). I think you have to do Contacts, Calendar, Memo, and to-do if i remember right

6). Hot sync again to make sure it still works.

7). Install Intellsync.

8). Customize to the data program (groupwise for you, Notes for me) to the intellisync conduits.

That was the basic process for me, and I found the process from the Intellisync web site.

good luck.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I found the two web links i used. Look into these:

First one is Answer id 2796:

http://pumatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...E9MiZwX3Byb2Rf

Second one is Answer id 1969:

http://pumatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...ZXJyb3I*&p_li=

Hopefully those web links will pull up. Otherwise search on the Answer id numbers.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast