1.    #1  
    I know one reason..."in case you want to use it later with another phone/device that makes use of bluetooth 1.2". Is there any other reason? Often the same headset, just an older model with the older bluetooth version, can be had for much less $$$.

In other words, assuming the headset will only be used with a Treo650, what benefit does a bluetooth 1.1 headset have over the same identical one with bluetooth 1.2?
    Sprint Treo 650 with v1.12 & Custom ROM.
    Aside from what you already said, I would think other reasons to get a 1.2 over 1.1 would be improvements (other than the bluetooth version) that were added to the 1.2 that the 1.1 didn't have, such as sound quality, comfort, features, etc.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestr
    Aside from what you already said, I would think other reasons to get a 1.2 over 1.1 would be improvements (other than the bluetooth version) that were added to the 1.2 that the 1.1 didn't have, such as sound quality, comfort, features, etc.
    jamestr, I'm going to reply to your three items individually....

1. Sound Quality: Has anyone noticed an improvement here from BT v1.1 to BT v1.2? I've used a Logitech Mobile Pro, both the old one, v1.1 and the new one with BT v1.2. I didn't notice any sound quality difference. Does "sound quality" have anything to to with the familiar "crackling" on BT headsets? If so, in my one example, I didn't notice any difference. Same with the supposed improvements in Wi-Fi areas. I use my headset most of the time within arms reach of my wi-fi laptop and my home LAN is wifi (obviously). Again, I've noticed no improvements from the BT v1.1 improve headset to the 1.2 one (same model).

2. Comfort: The assumption is the the headsets are identical outside of the BT version.

3. Features: Here's a link to some info about BT 1.1 & 1.2 (and more). Still not sure how any of these features improve headset usage, though...especially with the T650.
    Quote Originally Posted by CognizanT
    jamestr, I'm going to reply to your three items individually....

1. Sound Quality: Has anyone noticed an improvement here from BT v1.1 to BT v1.2? I've used a Logitech Mobile Pro, both the old one, v1.1 and the new one with BT v1.2. I didn't notice any sound quality difference. Does "sound quality" have anything to to with the familiar "crackling" on BT headsets? If so, in my one example, I didn't notice any difference. Same with the supposed improvements in Wi-Fi areas. I use my headset most of the time within arms reach of my wi-fi laptop and my home LAN is wifi (obviously). Again, I've noticed no improvements from the BT v1.1 improve headset to the 1.2 one (same model).

2. Comfort: The assumption is the the headsets are identical outside of the BT version.

3. Features: Here's a link to some info about BT 1.1 & 1.2 (and more). Still not sure how any of these features improve headset usage, though...especially with the T650.
    I just today got a Logitech Mobile Pro and it seems the volume on my end is not very loud even with it and the phone turned all the way up. Is that your experience also?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    I just today got a Logitech Mobile Pro and it seems the volume on my end is not very loud even with it and the phone turned all the way up. Is that your experience also?
    You know what...I did notice that. Strange because, I do not remember loudness being a problem with the older Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset (the BT v1.1 one, model #980179-1403).

Maybe I'm dilusional, but I'm going to get another Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset and test them simultaneously. That will settle that.

I'll post my findings. http://discuss.treocentral.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
  6.    #6  
    Actually, I cannot tell if the older model I had before was 980179-0403 or 980179-1403. There's no way to tell as far as I can see.

Oy vey...
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    you buy for tomorrow not for today
    Fair enough, but in this world...tomorrow is the next Treo with BT v1.2.

What are the odds that by the time that comes out, you'll be eyeballing a new fancy BT headset with a new level of comfort and quality? I'd say pretty good.

Besides, tomorrow doesn't exist...only today.
    Although it doesn't fit your criteria exactly, I'd say one reason is that you may find yourself using it with other devices that already support BT 1.2. For example -- you can also use the headset w/a BT-enabled laptop via Skype, etc. and enjoy the advantages of 1.2 right now.
    Fair enough, but in this world...tomorrow is the next Treo with BT v1.2.

What are the odds that by the time that comes out, you'll be eyeballing a new fancy BT headset with a new level of comfort and quality? I'd say pretty good.

Besides, tomorrow doesn't exist...only today.
    remind me to hit you later
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by onree
    Although it doesn't fit your criteria exactly, I'd say one reason is that you may find yourself using it with other devices that already support BT 1.2. For example -- you can also use the headset w/a BT-enabled laptop via Skype, etc. and enjoy the advantages of 1.2 right now.
    Oh yea...that's a good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by onree
    How can you set up a BT headset to work with a BT laptop to ise skype?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    ^^ There is a thread in skype.com devotes to that.

To the OP, so yo can have bigger e-***** than your co-workers?
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    You know what...I did notice that. Strange because, I do not remember loudness being a problem with the older Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset (the BT v1.1 one, model #980179-1403).

Maybe I'm dilusional, but I'm going to get another Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset and test them simultaneously. That will settle that.

I'll post my findings. http://discuss.treocentral.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
    I finally have both versions simultaneously and I can conclude that to my ears, the older BT 1.1 model is louder on the highest setting than the new Pro.

This confirms my previous thoughts on the older version being louder. It also confirms which version I'll settle down on.
    Could it be that the difference in volume lies not in the version of bluetooth, but in logitech's firmware? Maybe they received some complaints from customers that the max volume is too loud and they capped it at a lower level in the newer version? Just a thought.
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFan2003
    Could it be that the difference in volume lies not in the version of bluetooth, but in logitech's firmware? Maybe they received some complaints from customers that the max volume is too loud and they capped it at a lower level in the newer version? Just a thought.
    Maybe. Or it could be disgruntled hobbits at the Logitech factory that are playing a cruel trick to hurt shareholders.

In other words...I give a rats *** why the volume is too low. The fact that is is is all that matters.

I just thought it was interesting, and good info for the decision-making process of anyone interested in one of these headsets.