1.    #1  
    Hi everyone! I've posted a few questions here, but I don't think I've posted this one yet:

I'm hearing-impaired and don't always know when my current cell phone is ringing because it's not in my pocket or it's in my backpack (where I either left it on vibrate by mistake or I just don't hear it ringing). An 'incoming call alert' feature on my computer screen (and a 'missed call alert' of some sort) would be fantastic, and it just so happens that my platform/OS offer this. Please see the following for more info and a screenshot:

http://vowe.net/archives/004571.html

http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneElite/

Has anyone tried this with the Sprint 650? This is the big feature I need (though getting DUN to work is a great thing too). I have a loyalty discount (and credit for turning in my really old handset) ready to go.
    This is amazing info, I haven't tried it yet, but I will when I'm done writing this.
    To enable your BT DUD, go to the bottom of Shadowmites page and use the
    CDMA patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Buran
    Hi everyone! I've posted a few questions here, but I don't think I've posted this one yet:

I'm hearing-impaired and don't always know when my current cell phone is ringing because it's not in my pocket or it's in my backpack (where I either left it on vibrate by mistake or I just don't hear it ringing). An 'incoming call alert' feature on my computer screen (and a 'missed call alert' of some sort) would be fantastic, and it just so happens that my platform/OS offer this. Please see the following for more info and a screenshot:

http://vowe.net/archives/004571.html

http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneElite/

Has anyone tried this with the Sprint 650? This is the big feature I need (though getting DUN to work is a great thing too). I have a loyalty discount (and credit for turning in my really old handset) ready to go.
    [tony]
  3.    #3  
    I know about the patch -- that's my plan! Just waiting on this info before I buy anything. Crossing fingers.
    k, I can't get Address Book to work with my treo's BT.
    [tony]
  5.    #5  
    Strange. A local friend who has one says it works with isync... maybe you have to get an isync conduit for the Palm Desktop software? He still hasn't gotten around to testing the incoming caller alert feature, though. Keep at it - maybe we'll get lucky. I'll poke him a bit too.
    Yeah, I have it working with iSync perfectly. It just won't pair in AddressBook. It starts to connect, and then nothing. I wrote to an expert on this situation, so we'll see how he responds. I'll keep you posted.
    [tony]
    Please post what you find I also would like to know a solution for this problem.
    Corey

Current Devices: Palm Pre 2, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus and Apple's iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by coreymcl
    Please post what you find I also would like to know a solution for this problem.
    Take it from me, this feature will NOT work with any Mac whatsoever.

Palm has disabled this feature for the Macintosh platform. I have been after them to change this for at least one year and there is no indication that it will change in the future.
    This makes sence. Why won't they change it for us poor unfortunate Mac
    users.

Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Take it from me, this feature will NOT work with any Mac whatsoever.

Palm has disabled this feature for the Macintosh platform. I have been after them to change this for at least one year and there is no indication that it will change in the future.
    [tony]
  10.    #10  
    But why would it be disabled? I *need* this feature, it's not "fluff" for me, and surely someone at Palm must realize that. If it works with Windows (are there any windows apps that will do it?), surely it can work with Macs too.
  11.    #11  
    Addendum:

Found this: "After playing with BluePhoneElite, I can successfully see caller ID on-screen from incoming calls. You have to specifically set up rules in the preferences. Still working on how to call out from my Address Book contacts ..."

Snagged from here:

TreoCentral.com - Treo 650 & Mac's Address Book - no dialing or caller ID???

Could you kindly try BluePhone Elite and let me know if that works? If I need to get that, so be it.
    Ok, I got BluePhone working with my treo, but it's very buggy. Incoming calls work, not outgoing. And SMS is working weird. Though it crashed the other poster's Mac, it didn't crash mine, just quit the program.
    [tony]
  13.    #13  
    I'm not really worried about much more than incoming call alerts at this point (so it does do that, at least? Does it actually show who is calling or just that the phone is ringing?) though more stuff in the future would of course be nice. So it at least gets that far? Send in a bug report - I'm sure they'll appreciate it. And thank you for trying it!
    Yes it does show the Actually callers name, and number in a big Font across the screen. Only tested it with my mom's phone, and it worked. If that's all you need for right now, you'll be cool.
    [tony]
    For reference ... and this has been discussed elsewhere ...

When it comes to Bluetooth, the Treo is more of a PDA than a phone. There are three involved in these discussions: phone, pda, and modem. The Treo supports modem functions with BT DUN, and pda functions via the iSync conduit, but not phone functions as with Address book.

So it's not a matter of supporting the Mac, it's a matter of the Treo behaving like a phone. There's simply no software on the Treo that will listen for the Mac to tell it to dial a number, or to tell the mac when a call comes in.

Don't hassle Apple, hassle Palm.
  16.    #16  
    It's all part of what can and can't be extracted by software. Even if the address book sync feature doesn't work yet, it appears to have been possible for the BluePhoneElite programmer to devise a way for an on-screen call alert to work, even though Address Book's version of this doesn't seem to work right now.

So I'd say they both should get the feedback. If a little shareware programmer was able to get it to work, so could the programmers at Apple and/or Palm.
    I forgot to mention, in BluePhone Elite, you need to have DUN activated while using. I tried the same set up in AB, and it didn't work.

So i think it's Something AB programmers would have to work on, not treo.
    [tony]