1.    #1  
    After reading this news item:
    http://www.visorcentral.com/news.php3?id=660
    I went and read some more about Documents To Go Professional. I was not very interested in the original version of Documents To Go as it did not allow editing, but this new version looks really nice. You can edit MS and Lotus documents (and format them, italics, bold, underline, 2 font sizes) and spreadsheets, and then sync them back to your desktop. Plus you get a mail app that supports attachments. All for 50 bucks, it seems too good to be true!!

Can anyone comment on how Documents To Go (at least the standard version) works? Are the files really that small (the site quotes 1/3rd the size of an unformatted file on your desktop)? What about speed? MegaDoc had some of these features but was way too slow. Any comments on how the new professional version works from any willing to shell out the money now would also be great.

Thanks
    - Ryan
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    See my post to ASPGuy in his GASP post.
    I've been using Documents to Go for about a year. The converted documents are much smaller than the originals and sync to the Visor very very quickly.
    I've just downloaded the upgrade and will be playing with it later today. I'll keep you posted if you're interested.
    -Michael-
    rdanell
    The standard version of Documents to Go is fairly simple, drag and drop the file(s) you want to the program and each time you sync the file is updated as long as you don't change the file location on your desktop. If you do, you'll get an error message in the hot sync log reminding you that the file location has changed.

File size: Excel spreadsheet on desktop is 71K on handheld it's 14K. Word doc on desktop of 60K is 4K on handheld.

Speed is fine on the handheld you will notice a slow down in sync speed and especially if you use backup buddy.

I will go download the Pro Version later today and let you know what I think of it. The major benefit will be if they have bundled Mail Attachments to Go with it. This is the fundamental reason that I want it also DataViz is supposed to be developing a reader for Adobe PDF files which is what my company prefers to email for size reasons. If I can get PDF files to be read then I can nearly throw away my laptop for shorter trips.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Moose, I don't think Mail attachments to go is bundled with this, cause it works with Desktop to Go, picking up e-mail from your desktop (along with attachments) and tranferring it to the palmtop . If you have Desktop to Go, it's a free download.

I agree a built-in pdf conversion would be great. I'm currently using the AportisDoc PDF Conversion applet.
    -Michael-
    Michael
    It's a free download now called Data Viz Mail supposedly works only with Outlook. I just downloaded the Pro version and since I was registered user of Doc to Go v2.0 then the Pro Version 3.0 was only 19.95. I will install and advise after it's up and running and while my Prism charges for the next 2 hours.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  6. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I've been playing with the new editable DocsToGo this morning and while I think it's a BIG step forward, there are some issues:

1) There's no way to CREATE a new document on the handheld (at least none that I can find) If you go to the 'record' menu and select 'add documents' it simply looks for Doc files on your handheld to add to the docs2go LIST. These are then VIEWABLE using WordView (not Word2Go) but not editable. Oddly enough, they ARE synced back to the desktop as Word files but are labelled as 'doc' files in the desktop docs2go application.

2) It doesn't seem to support the PalmOS3.5 double-tap to select word feature (I haven't tried using it with any of the hacks --like MagicText -- that offer the same functionality, though)

3) While the Word2Go application does support additional formatting (big/small fonts, underline/bold/italic), it is incompatible with the standard doc format, so you can't use other applications with the documents.

4) The Sheet2Go spreadsheet editor is not nearly as full featured as Quicksheet or TinySheet (and none of these three applications stores spreadsheets in the same format on the handheld, so they are not compatible with each other)

I think I'll stick with SmartDoc (with PalmDocs) and Quicksheet for now. Although PalmDocs is not as slick or easy for synchronization of documents, Quicksheet's synchronization is just as good, plus I like them better than docs2go's handheld apps (at least for now). Maybe this will push cesinc to make a conduit for smartdoc, too!
    Well about 30 minutes after the installation here is some updated information regarding Documents to Go v3.0 Professional with Data Viz Mail:

Editable Excel documents actually increased in size over the desktop version; example of a 71K desktop file is now 76K on the handheld. Word documents didn't see any change whatsoever in handheld size.

Speed - same as version 2.0 with word documents but the editing is not going to be extremely fast. Excel documents, you'll want to turn off the automatic calculation. Editing is done on a separate line and not directly in the cell. This is fine and very intuitive if you are use to using the edit field line at the top of Excel on the desktop.

Nice features that I'm sure most will appreciate:
    The ability to save changes either automatically or via a prompt. I'll find this useful with spreadsheets that I want to see how the numbers would change (what if) but don't necessarily want to save the changes.

The ability to determine whether or not you'll need an editable view when loading the document into the que/conduit for sync. I've got a few docs and spreadsheets that I just want for reference and therefore I wouldn't want to waste/expand space on the handheld with a spreadsheet that I'd never edit such as a price sheet etc.

On the surface if your looking for a spreadsheet program that you're going to do a lot of calculation on and actually build a spreadsheet on the handheld, this wont' work. However, if you use it to modify an existing spreadsheet by changing fields, it'll probably work fine.

This post is by no means meant as a full review just a quicky first take. You can go to Dataviz and get a trial version of Documents to Go v3.0 and try for yourself.

rdanell and Michael - hope this answers some of your questions.

P.S. the DataViz Mail Application adds a fully functional email view of your Outlook inbox with the ability to view, send and forward your mail when you next sync. It only works with Outlook 97, 98 or 2000 though. You can read all Word and Excel attachments. Nice little freebie. I believe that it replaces the Attachments To Go application which I had used and looks like it takes up about 76K of memory. Now if Dataviz will be able to get this to work with Omnisky ( I am currently a user with the PalmVx) then I'd be a completely happy camper.
    Moose Man
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the comments so far.

It has been really helpful to hear from some who have used the original Docs To Go software as well.

Keep it coming if you have more to say...I am still reading.

- Ryan
    So can anyone confirm if you can create new documents on the handheld? Not a very useful program if you can't.
    You can take an existing document in Documents to Go on the Visor, select all text, start typing new and save it under a different name. When you Sync you have the new document in "My Documents" (or wherever you keep 'em) and the original document, too.

I just tried it and it worked. To me, that's creating a new document.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Lennonhead,

Creating new documents is not the purpose of Documents to Go, the whole point is to be able to bring over documents created on your desktop and keep most of the formating.

However, if that's what you want to do, there is a pretty easy work around. Simply create a short (one word?)document on your desktop using your favorite wordprocessor. Save it, call it Template, then add it to your Visor with Desktop to Go. When you want to create a new document, open it up, delete the word and make any changes you want. Then use Save As to save it with a new name.

Voila! You've got a new document and you've still got Template for the next time.
    -Michael-
  12. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by MHCohn
    Simply create a short (one word?)document on your desktop using your favorite wordprocessor. Save it, call it Template, then add it to your Visor with Desktop to Go. When you want to create a new document, open it up, delete the word and make any changes you want. Then use Save As to save it with a new name.

Voila! You've got a new document and you've still got Template for the next time.
    Now what didn't I think of that? (probably too anxious from waiting for my Prism to arrive!) Actually, I did think of overwriting a dummy document, but didn't know about the 'save as' feature which actually lets you duplicate the dummy doc. Still, it's a bit odd there isn't simply a 'new doc' menu option, don't you think?