Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Well, I must say now I was a doubting Thomas.
    Darklord,

Thanks for sticking around even after getting called anything from a BSer to a liar. :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by Djscoe
    I have a Cingular but I flashed it with 1.21 for unbranded and the only things I noticed is it no longer shows the Cingular logo but the Treo 650 logo and my DUN is enabled. Does anyone know if I caused myself some unknown, future harm? It runs a helluva lot better than with 1.04.
    I want the DUN and I still want the Cingular logo.

Possible when I upgrade? Or just to strange?
    Unlocked -1.51---117-CNG
    Handspring Deluxe w/phone->Treo 180->Treo 650
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Darklord,

Thanks for sticking around even after getting called anything from a BSer to a liar. :-/
    No problem, I just want to share the info with others, so everybody can use a 'working' Treo. I'm not into hacked firmwares... Treo 650 isn't that cheap
    Nah, I think those are just PhotoShop jobs. He doesn't really have the firmware. . .

Hey, just kidding!

I do wonder if I can put the official ROW firmware on a Cingular phone. I wonder if it will let me do that? I know the beta firmware floating around will allow it, but I'm wondering about the official one. I want my DUN!
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Nah, I think those are just PhotoShop jobs. He doesn't really have the firmware. . .

Hey, just kidding!
    I used MS Paint, nice huh
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Thanks DL. When can we expect, in your best educated estimation, an official 1.28 firmware release from P1 for unocked GSMs?

Thanks for the great tip!
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    The last leaked software was 1.23. The released version looks like 1.28.

What happened to .24, .25, .26 and .27? Four builds that never saw the light of day. Let's hope the software got better at each step of the way!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I do wonder if I can put the official ROW firmware on a Cingular phone. I wonder if it will let me do that? I know the beta firmware floating around will allow it, but I'm wondering about the official one. I want my DUN!
    If it behaves the way the Treo 600 update did (and I know the 650's is very different in a lot of ways) it will NOT let you put the ROW firmware on anything other than a ROW phone. This is why you needed to use the TokenWriter to change the 3 letter ID string in the phone so the firmware update would work (on the 600 that is.) You would change CNG to ROW or vis versa to get the carrier's firmware that you wanted on the phone. I had a Cingular 600, and used tokenwriter to change it to ROW to get the ROW software to install. I had to RMA my phone and switched it back to CNG and put the Cingular back on before sending it back.

So knowing the Beta version will allow you to install on any device, it APPEARS that the beta software actually changes the ID string for you. So when you install the beta on the cingular phone, I think it's changing it to ROW but we don't really know that for sure.
    So I would think the worst case scenario workaround would be to install Beta 1.23, then install the official 1.28 (or whatever it ends up being) on top of that. I think that would work.

Now having said all of that, after I had installed 1.21 on my ROW phone, I was able to install the official Cingular update 1.04 on my phone (I think I complained but I found a workaround to force it, I don't remember.) So the cingular update work over my Beta 1.21 ROW. But then I ended up puting 1.23 back on my phone. So I don't know if this is a by-product of the phone havnig the Beta so the Cingular took, or what, but it worked.
    Note, when I installed the Cingular 1.04 it did not disable BT DUN, and did not install the Cingular apps, but it definately had the 1.04 firmware and software on it... so I either did something wrong (partial update) or those apps weren't included in that particular update.
    So based on my experience here, I think maybe there will be a way of manaully tricking the Treo in to taking another carrier's update (CNG takes ROW.)

Now if we had a TokenWriter for the 650 this would be easy, but no one has come forward with a 'leaked' copy of the Tokenwriter for the 650 yet (600's doesn't work) but I know some people out there have it. That is assuming the updates verify with the 3 letter string the same way the 600 did.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, but there is always a way.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Djscoe
    I have a Cingular but I flashed it with 1.21 for unbranded and the only things I noticed is it no longer shows the Cingular logo but the Treo 650 logo and my DUN is enabled. Does anyone know if I caused myself some unknown, future harm? It runs a helluva lot better than with 1.04.
    I don't think there is any harm. You have basically converted your cingular phone to a ROW phone which is perfectly fine. The only risk is that if you ever have to return your phone for RMA, it might be hard to explain how your Cingular phone has ROW software on it (they know by the serial number)... but they may not notice or even care anyway.
    I say stick with the ROW software as long as you like it better (I would.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Is using the TokenWriter to change a CNG to ROW essentially unlock the phone (for use on other networks using their SIM)? Same question on using the beta flasher to change a CNG to a ROW firmware ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I have a Cingular 650 with:
    Firmware 1.04, software
    Treo650-1.02-CNB.
    I am ready to throw this phone at a wall and try anything right now. I travel 5 days a week and the phone is my lifeline. It reset 6-8 times today while in phoenix, and dropped multiple calls. It has started to become really frequent.

Question is...

How do I get it unlocked?
    Is there a risk to going to 1.21/1.23 that outweighs the wait for 1.28?

I use this phone to negotiate deals and manage my field force, and everyone is getting sick of my phone dropping them.

Any help on how to upgrade/unlock is greatly appreciated, including any link that I can read up on it.

Thanks.

Thinking about going back to the 3watt Gordon Gecko Motorola.
    Quote Originally Posted by mendo

Still really looking forward to the new, solid, reliable, enhanced firmware.

Let's not go crazy with it. No one promised all of that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan
    I have a Cingular 650 with:
    Firmware 1.04, software
    Treo650-1.02-CNB.
    I am ready to throw this phone at a wall and try anything right now. I travel 5 days a week and the phone is my lifeline. It reset 6-8 times today while in phoenix, and dropped multiple calls. It has started to become really frequent.

Question is...

How do I get it unlocked?
    Is there a risk to going to 1.21/1.23 that outweighs the wait for 1.28?

I use this phone to negotiate deals and manage my field force, and everyone is getting sick of my phone dropping them.

Any help on how to upgrade/unlock is greatly appreciated, including any link that I can read up on it.

Thanks.

Thinking about going back to the 3watt Gordon Gecko Motorola.
    I think you're confusing two terms of art. Unlocking will allow you to use SIMS from other providers. Firmware updates will potentially correct existing problems and/or add new features. Based on your post, I'm guessing you need a firmware update, not unlocking the phone.
    aprasad,

using the ROW firmware on a Cingular phone won't unlock it
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    True using the ROW firmware will not unlock a Cingular phone, but it will make it much more stable (if my experience is any indication).
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Is using the TokenWriter to change a CNG to ROW essentially unlock the phone (for use on other networks using their SIM)? Same question on using the beta flasher to change a CNG to a ROW firmware ...
    No it will not SIM unlock the phone. It just changes those 3 letters in the Treo's memory that the firmware update looks at, that's all.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    I think the official 1.28 version won't be a SD-Update. It will be a Treo650-Updater programm.
    Who knows if they put a check in it to refuse updating CNG's to ROW or not.
    I had a CNB 1.04, did the update to 1.15 (ROW) as i needed to select another language.
    I think an update to a newer ROW-firmware will be no problem for me.
    Will 1.28 inc Chinese char support? Wiii it enabls Blazer to display Chinese text web pages?

TIA
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Installing CJKOS will enable Chinese character support including Blazer. It is highly unlikely that Chinese character support will be included in the update. There is a separate Chinese language version of Palm OS but I do not know if it supports English at all. Also, as far as I know, it is only available on certain products and is not available to the public at large for installation on other products.