Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, I for one LIKE to know about stuff coming down the road! With you all giving this poor guy sh*t up and down the line, why would ANYONE bother with future postings telling us what's coming?

Get a clue everyone of you that's bashing.
    I say ban the bashers!!!!!
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    I'm not bashing. We all know new firmware is coming--keep predicting it and we'll eventually be right. All I want is REAL information, like the release notes. Does it address the low volume issues, or not? Pretty simple question...

Todd/Indy
    A) He may not have release notes
    B) He may be under an NDA
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Besides "voiding the warranty," what other advantage or disadvantage is there to loading the generic PalmOne ROM on a Cingular branded 650?
    The disadvantages are that you lose the "enhancements" that Cingular places in ROM, like the XpressMail download stub and the Cingular contact numbers which are preloaded into the phone book.

The advantages are that you lose the "enhancements" that Cingular places in ROM, like the XpressMail download stub and the Cingular contact numbers which are preloaded into the phone book!

But the biggest advantage, for me at least, is that the unbranded firmware allows you to enable Bluetooth Dialup Networking, which lets me get my laptop (with my work VPN, Notes Admin client, etc) online when I'm travelling and don't have access to a wi-fi hotspot. Cingular chooses to make that option unavailable in their firmware; there is a hack available as a workaround, but it's not as stable as the genuine article in the ROW ROM.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    So if you don't use XpressMail and don't care for the #'s, then it's a good idea to use the Generic ROM?
    That's the way I see it. I'd rather use the software that the manufacturer intended for the device, rather than a variant that's been bodged by a phone company!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by amf
    Know what!? I PMed this guy in another forum to ask him a question. When he replied, I composed my reply which is a simple "Thanks". Guess what??!! He blocked me from sending him PMs! Do I see the letters F.... A.... K.... E....!
    I know you asked me this question today, and I did block any messages, because I just can't give you the firmware like that. I really do not want to **** my source by posting it, when they asked me not to!!!!
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Don't get upset with the skeptics, darklord. Very similar "sources" said very similar things a few months ago.
    Would you feel better if I ask my source, if he would mind posting the ROM? If not when the release will really be? I will get back at this, ok?
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    I've gotta defend darklord here. If he does have a new version of the firmware it's definitely not legal for him to distribute it. If he's in a position where he or his company signed a NDA to get it, then he could put his business relationship with Palm in jeopardy by sharing it. I'm sure he thought that we would be happy to hear that the new version is coming soon.

Brett
    Brett, thank you for understanding my situation.
    I just want all you guys to know it is coming soon, so if you wait a little longer, you don't have to use the unofficial releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by darklord
    Brett, thank you for understanding my situation.
    I just want all you guys to know it is coming soon, so if you wait a little longer, you don't have to use the unofficial releases.
    Can you narrow that down a little darklord? "Soon" is a vague word. A month, a week?
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
    Hi everybody:
    please, can someboy explain or post a link where i could read a guide for an upgrade procces??
    thank you
    No son los guerreros conocidos por las armas que portan, si no por el valor que les caracteriza.
    Palm V /Tungsten T / Tungsten T3 - SD256 / Nokia 8310 / Nokia 6600 / Treo 600 -650
    Would you feel better if I ask my source, if he would mind posting the ROM? If not when the release will really be? I will get back at this, ok?
    It's not me. I can wait.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I will defend darklord as well. I heard back in mid-April the update was coming. I shared that here. I heard it from several internal sources. I continue to get the same type of communication....ie soon. My guess they have run into some type of challenge possibly in getting certified with the GSM carrier (e.g., Cingular). My source suggested they had more experience with Sprint and why a second Sprint upgrade was not far behind (vs. Cingular). I know nothing more than this. I have repeatably suggested to one of my contacts at PalmOne -- Palmone needs to at least communicate what is going on and that many users (leading users and ones that will buy the next Treo...the 700 or whatever it is). Obviously, internal management does not agree with this thinking...which to be honest is sad and not an effective way to embrace users given all the issues the Treo has had. So I wait as well....the results will hopefully live up to the promise.
    darklord,
    Do you know if this firmware corrects the echo problem heard by the person on the other end of a call ? Thanks.

I know you asked me this question today, and I did block any messages, because I just can't give you the firmware like that. I really do not want to **** my source by posting it, when they asked me not to!!!!
    would you believe if someone said "this firmware will have support for PalmOne SD Wifi Card" ?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Does it address the low volume issues, or not? Pretty simple question...

Todd/Indy
    Todd/Indy, a fix for audio gain problems is on the RELEASE NOTES !!
    Last edited by darklord; 06/14/2005 at 06:40 AM.
  18.    #58  
    Update: according to PalmOne this release will centainly be published THIS MONTH (JUNE)!!!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robertwinter
    ...Palmone needs to at least communicate what is going on...
    As a developer for a major software company I can tell you that communicating what is going on does not mean that people will be satisfied. They all want hard and fast dates and if you miss those dates you still get crucifed but if you meet the date and still have bugs you also get crucified. It really is a no-win situation and most companies feel it is better to say nothing than to say anything. It is very unfortunate but this is the way things work.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    would you believe if someone said "this firmware will have support for PalmOne SD Wifi Card" ?
    Haven't seen anything about this on the release notes, sorry.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast