View Poll Results: How many use their treo 650/600 as main mp3 player?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I use my Treo 600/650.

164 74.21%
  • No. I got a separate mp3 player.

46 20.81%
  • I dont carry mp3 or use it on treo. have CD player. or NADA!

11 4.98%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    I have mp3s on there, but I use my Dell DJ for most listening. It doesn't drain my Treo's battery and holds 15-30 times as much as most people will ever put on their treo, and i pay $5 a month for all the music I can download. Sweet deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    You can say that again. :-D
    Booooooooooooooooooo
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsgolob
    Where do you get wav files to start with? Are you using the Real Audio, are you buying from audible.com, or something else? I'd love to take TAL with me!

I use a program called "iRecordMusic" on my Mac to record the RealAudio stream when it airs live on Saturday afternoon. It then transcodes it to bookmarkable AAC and imports into my iTunes library.

I've also gone into the back library of TAL shows and manually recorded many of the streams. iRecordMusic even lets me easily record multiple shows simultaneously. I'm sure there's a PC equivalent out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    I use a program called "iRecordMusic" on my Mac to record the RealAudio stream when it airs live on Saturday afternoon. It then transcodes it to bookmarkable AAC and imports into my iTunes library.

I've also gone into the back library of TAL shows and manually recorded many of the streams. iRecordMusic even lets me easily record multiple shows simultaneously. I'm sure there's a PC equivalent out there?
    cool edit will let you record streamed audio to a wave file
    Count me in the bunch! My first personal MP3 player was the T600 . Glad that the T650 has a nicer screen so I could use Pocket Tune's Hi-res skin .

I use Replay Radio to capture streams. It has a built-in timer that can be used to record Windows Media and/or Real Audio streams. So if there is a show that broadcast daily at a time you won't be able to catch a show, you can set the timer to record that show daily and save it as an MP3 file. It allows for various levels of quality in recording. It can record any audio going through the sound card, but is customized for WM and Real streams. And if a stream is not part of their built in list of stations you can easily add it yourself and have them add it to their global file for everyone else.

I have a friend that listens to WM streams LIVE via turning his home PC into a Shoutcast server. Basically he has the WM stream play on his home PC and has the speaker output jack going into his sound card's audio-in jack. Then runs the shoutcast server off the audio-in feed. That allows him to stream live WM stations to his Treo via Pocket Tunes .
    I'd like to throw in my support for Replay Radio. It rocks.
    I can't wait for the release of Replay A/V. It will allow the recording of multiple broadcast simultaneously!!! That along with a lot of other nice things.

Replay Radio already has me in radio overload .
    Are you people seriously calling the sound quality "unbelievable"?? Decent, fair, maybe good, even....but UNBELIEVE, GREAT?? no way. Pick up an ipod and compare the same song. Completely different in my opinion. But I certainly don't carry an ipod with my 24/7...my Treo's a different story altogether.
    I retract that earlier statement. It's pretty good with Aeroplayer...just found it yesterday. Compared it with my girlfriend's iPod and couldn't tell a difference. I do, however, have one problem...lemme tell ya about it (copying & pasting):

"I love Aeroplayer!! I might actually decide to buy it because the quality is so much better than PTunes - specifically the bass (went back and forth between the two players for at least half an hour before my ear picked up on the major bass difference). Whenever I get the auxiliary input cable for my car's CD Player, I'm sure I'll be able to tell a huge difference between the quality then - Aeroplayer just provides a fuller sound.

However, my only beef with Aeroplayer is that when I open Blazer, it skips and skips and skips...even long after the page has been loaded. PTunes does it once or twice...Busker doesn't skip ever...and I don't care what Real does because it doesn't even have an EQ (on top of a billion other things it's lacking).

Does Aeroplayer skip on others' Treos when browsing with Blazer?? Any way to get around it? I tried PXA Clocker and it didn't help. I tried browsing with Xiino, and it maybe skipped once or twice...but I don't like the way Xiino renders pages. Are there any other apps I should fear using while playing songs with Aeroplayer?

Thanks in advance."
    Last edited by grndslm; 07/17/2005 at 02:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    The sound is better than average out of the Treo 650. It is heavily dependent upon the headphones used and I use the Sony earbuds ($25 for the regular and $50 for the same thing with an extender cable you wont need.)

While I have a Samsung 1GB MP3 player which is downright incredible in size and battery life for exercise, I'll use the Treo for regular commuting. I had ptunes but because of the bloody RAM limitations I've yanked it and use Real Player. It is surprisingly LOUD at low volume levels, which is good. It hasn't skipped on me once until recently and I cannot explain why it stuttered like crazy yesterday. A soft reset cured the problem and I'm wondering if you (grndslm) tried that. (Now if I could only get to that damn reset button without having to yank off the skin case and then open the battery door...)

Of additional note grndslm, I'm not sure that having enough RAM will solve a skipping issue if you are trying to run a program in the background on the Palm. With processor intensive tasks this will happen, even on your PC when you try to do some tasks that will be prioritized by the PC momentarily..
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Of additional note grndslm, I'm not sure that having enough RAM will solve a skipping issue if you are trying to run a program in the background on the Palm. With processor intensive tasks this will happen, even on your PC when you try to do some tasks that will be prioritized by the PC momentarily..
    But....even after a page is completely loaded in Blazer, it still skips...every 3 seconds or so. In Xiino...it skips maybe once while rendering the page, and then never again (until I type another address, maybe). I don't understand why Aeroplayer and Blazer won't work together. This is the only thing holding me back from buying Aeroplayer.
    I was recently using a flash mp3 player and a dell axim x50v for music along with my sprint phone i was carrying around 3 devices. I now have the treo 650 and have discovered thanks to you guys that i can play wma files using ptunes deluxe. I encode at 64kbs so i can pretty much load about 400-500 songs on one 1gb sd card. There will be a slight sound degradation at this lower encoding but still sounds really good on my sony in the ear headphones. By the way i purchased the headphone adapter at radio shack for $2.50 In addition i tried the card export app as a demo and it works like a pocket pc would where your computer recognizes the treo as an external storage device allowing fast transfer of files and songs to the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpedraza
    I encode at 64kbs so i can pretty much load about 400-500 songs on one 1gb sd card. There will be a slight sound degradation at this lower encoding
    You can say that again...icky sound!! My collection is already in MP3 format...if I were just starting to encode my music, I'd encode it to OGG Vorbis format and use Aeroplayer (it's free to use Aeroplayer if you're music is in OGG format)

...but still sounds really good on my sony in the ear headphones.
    Welcome to 2005...we call those earbuds.

In addition i tried the card export app as a demo and it works like a pocket pc would where your computer recognizes the treo as an external storage device allowing fast transfer of files and songs to the card.
    Don't buy Card Export....buy a card reader. If you have a laptop with a free PCMCIA slot...get a PCMCIA card reader!! Otherwise, get a USB card reader. They're a bajillion plus one times faster than using that slow medium that you're using called a cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Count me in the bunch! My first personal MP3 player was the T600 . Glad that the T650 has a nicer screen so I could use Pocket Tune's Hi-res skin .

I use Replay Radio to capture streams. It has a built-in timer that can be used to record Windows Media and/or Real Audio streams. So if there is a show that broadcast daily at a time you won't be able to catch a show, you can set the timer to record that show daily and save it as an MP3 file. It allows for various levels of quality in recording. It can record any audio going through the sound card, but is customized for WM and Real streams. And if a stream is not part of their built in list of stations you can easily add it yourself and have them add it to their global file for everyone else.

I have a friend that listens to WM streams LIVE via turning his home PC into a Shoutcast server. Basically he has the WM stream play on his home PC and has the speaker output jack going into his sound card's audio-in jack. Then runs the shoutcast server off the audio-in feed. That allows him to stream live WM stations to his Treo via Pocket Tunes .
    I just purchased this Radio Replay today and have several talk shows ready to record on Monday. Not too sure if I setup everything correctly. Guess I will find out on Monday.
    I was using the Sony Fontopia earbuds. However, I lost them and got some JVC earbuds that fit like the Sony, but sound better. They also have a volume control in-line with works GREAT and is really handy. With PT and the in-line volume, I can make it as loud as I want. I've thought about getting the Shures or Etymotic's, but not sure if they will make much difference on the 650. However, I am really impressed by my JVC's for less than $30.
    This isn't the place to do it, but I'll ask here anyway.. Does anyone else have trouble listening to streamed music over GPRS? Every time I try it, it buffers, plays... buffers.. plays.. Not even worth listening to. I've even tried it on 48kbit resampled music, same deal. I can download from GPRS (Cingular EDGE) at 180kbit but streamed music just barely will play.

Plays fine over BlueTooth at home btw. Even full bitrate stuff streams fine, and I only get 300kbit out of it.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    My Treo 650 holds up against my iPod but it clearly isn't optimal for "gym use" due to size/weight/configuration (compared to an iPod Mini or Shuffle).

Battery life is also a concern - well below that of a "primary" MP3 player.
    I have a question. How do I upload mp3 fles to SD card without removing the card from the phone ?
    I retract that earlier statement. It's pretty good with Aeroplayer...just found it yesterday. Compared it with my girlfriend's iPod and couldn't tell a difference. I do, however, have one problem...lemme tell ya about it (copying & pasting):

"I love Aeroplayer!! I might actually decide to buy it because the quality is so much better than PTunes - specifically the bass (went back and forth between the two players for at least half an hour before my ear picked up on the major bass difference). Whenever I get the auxiliary input cable for my car's CD Player, I'm sure I'll be able to tell a huge difference between the quality then - Aeroplayer just provides a fuller sound.

However, my only beef with Aeroplayer is that when I open Blazer, it skips and skips and skips...even long after the page has been loaded. PTunes does it once or twice...Busker doesn't skip ever...and I don't care what Real does because it doesn't even have an EQ (on top of a billion other things it's lacking).

Does Aeroplayer skip on others' Treos when browsing with Blazer?? Any way to get around it? I tried PXA Clocker and it didn't help. I tried browsing with Xiino, and it maybe skipped once or twice...but I don't like the way Xiino renders pages. Are there any other apps I should fear using while playing songs with Aeroplayer?

Thanks in advance."

Yeah all the players out there have their pluses and minus...

Ptunes has streaming shoutcast support, janus DRm wma, OGG, Wav, etc but it relatively expensive and big.

Aeroplayer has probably the best all around audio playback, ACC, OGG support, nice equlilizer, Skinnable, but does not support wma or streaming yet...

Real is free and supports ra, mp3 and is of course FREE. But again it's not as full featued as Ptunes...

Busker is Treo specific, good backround playback with MP3, Ogg and Wav support, but again not as full features as Ptunes, nor does it support any sort of DRM...

IMO, if most of your musicn is primarily mp3 format and you don't care about streaming, then stay with Real. If you want shoutcast, mp3 streaming and need Janus DRM support, then go for Ptunes. If want to play ACC files (unencrypted with Hymn from iTunes) then go for Aeroplayer or Kinoma...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FLY
    I have a question. How do I upload mp3 fles to SD card without removing the card from the phone ?

If you have Ptunes, it integrates with windows media player to transfer your music.

Other wise use card export II from softick.com

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    *stands up and raises hand*

with my 1 GB SD card how could i NOT load it up wit MP3s?
    Ditto here