1.    #1  
    This has GOT to be the most BLOATED PRICE ON PALM SOFTWARE that I have seen to date. $69.95!!!!! Are you kidding, Dataviz?!?

I purchased their product for my Handspring Visor a few months ago and was sorely disappointed to find out that their software did not allow me to edit Word documents. Basically, it was a reader and that's it.

Now they have provided the ability to "edit" Word and excell documents, which of course, meets all of our needs, but $69.95 is absolutely rediculous. Where do they get these marketing people from?

Hey Dataviz, did you know that we can <gasp> edit documents using the FREE SmartDOC <gasp>? Did I mention that it was FREE!? And there are others too! <gasp>!

Yes, the product looks nice, but to think that people would pay nearly $70.00 for this is crazy.
    tc.
    ASPguy,
    First off the price you read ($69.95) was for Documents To Go Professional WITH Desktop To Go (which I gather is a desktop sync conduit).

Secondly SmartDoc from Cutting Edge Software (I am not aware of another program with this name) is not free, but $20, this is in fact the current DOC editor I use. I think that only FREE doc editing software is Zdoc and I have heard of some stability issues with this program.

I think that $49.95 (the actual price for Documents To Go Pro) is quite reasonable for a document and spreadsheet editor, as well as an e-mail app with attachment support. Not to mention the very convenient sync facility.

That is my 2 cents,
    - Ryan
  3.    #3  
    rdanell, forgive me, you are correct when you say that SmartDOC from Cutting Edge Software is $20.00. Believe it or not, I forgot that I registered that product. I also spent $20.00 on Documents to Go so that I could update what I have typed in the SmartDOC document. Maybe it is worth it, but it just seems high to me. Their site does say $69.95, and yes it is for both Documents To Go AND DeskTop To Go, but if I am not mistaken, the DeskTop to Go came free on the Documents To Go CD.
    tc.
    Just downloaded the new version. I caught a sale at CompUSA for Documents to Go for $19.95 in the spring.

I upgraded at the DataViz site for $19.95 (for registered users).

You can edit your docs and spreadsheets, and sync 'em back to the PC. This is what I needed badly.

With this and datebk4, I'm set for a while.

Now when my Mets beat the Yanks in 5, my life will be complete.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    If you already have documents to go, you can upgrade to the new version for $39.95. Steep, yes, but not $70. I plan to upgrade because I've been very happy with my prior non-editable version, which I've also been using as a doc reader, since it so far has perfectly converted every e-book format I've tried and also does great on both my own WordPerfect documents and Word documents clients send me.

BTW, I bought the Documents to Go together with Desktop to Go as a package, last year for about 20 bucks. The Desktop product is excellent, and has had the ability to sync to Outlook public folders for some time, which Mirror has only just added. Plus there is a free add-on which decodes Word documents sent as e-mail attachments which I have found to be invaluable.
    -Michael-
    Originally posted by flacks
    Now when my Mets beat the Yanks in 5, my life will be complete.
    YEAH!!!
    http://secure.acssports.com/NewYorkM...ages/NEC70.jpg
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Fl;acks, you payed $19 to upgrade?? How'd you do that? I put in my reg # and I had to pay $39. I got the same combo deal from CompUSA in the Spring too.

Oh well, at least I'll still be a happy camper after the Yanks smother the Mets.
    -Michael-

[Edited by flacks on 10-18-2000 at 03:30 PM]
    I only got the Documents to Go, not the Desktop to Go, so I
    only upgraded what I had, and that was $19.95. I got an e-mail this morning that said:

*** For EXISTING Documents To Go customers ***
    As a special thank you to our loyal Documents To Go customers, we are
    offering the new Professional Edition for a limited time upgrade price of
    only $19.95 (plus applicable shipping & handling). This promotional offer
    will not last for long and will expire on January 31, 2001. To receive this
    offer you will need your existing Documents To Go registration number. So
    order your upgrade now to receive this special offer!
    http://www.dataviz.com/purchase/upgr...ogo/index.html

And as for the Yanks smothering the Mets....We'll see my friend, we'll see.

Michael

Ditto to Flacks paying only 19.95, that's what I paid.

Mark Engle - since the Giants, A's and now the Mariners are out of it Go Mets.

Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Thanks Moose and Flacks, after reading your postings I called DataViz and got them to credit me the $20
    -Michael-
  12. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I downloaded the trial version of Doc to Go, and I am pretty impressed. I'm surprised, though, that since you can now edit with it that you cannot start a new document with it also. It would be a GREAT product for taking notes in class or drafting a memo or something. I guess I'll have to import several blank Word docs into Doc to Go so that I can "edit" them when I need a new document. Anyone know if there is a programming issue that keeps this feature out of the program?

Stephen
  13. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by SCM
    I guess I'll have to import several blank Word docs into Doc to Go so that I can "edit" them when I need a new document.
    Actually, you only need one blank doc. You can use the 'save as' menu option to duplicate it. (we had this discussion in the other doc2go thread)
  14. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    [
    Actually, you only need one blank doc. You can use the 'save as' menu option to duplicate it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, that works!! I need to look at the other thread. I do notice that Doc to Go is pretty slow receiving typing from the Stowaway. I have to slow down my fingers a little.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I myself hadn't noticed that typing was noticably slower in Docs to Go on the Stowaway but then, perhaps I don't type fast enough to begin with. However, after going into Afterburner and increasing the speed of Docs to Go and Keyboard, I did see a noticable increase in speed, so you may want to try that. For me, the default speed is quite enough.

I have noticed, though that the typing keyboard short cuts (e.g.- Ctrl+Shift+ Left Arrow, to select previous word, etc. etc.) all of which work with the included Memo application, do not work in Documents to Go.

That also isn't a major issue for me, since I don't use the keyboard enough to remember most of shortcuts in the first place, without having the manual open in front of me.

-Michael-
    Could someone who's upgraded to Documents to Go 3.0 tell me if both Windows and Mac versions are on the same CD (as was the case with the 2.0 version)? I'm asking because I was given a copy of 2.0 which I'd like to upgrade. Unfortunately the registration number indicates that it's a Mac version (even though I'm using Windows).

A Mac version is only upgradeable (for the $20 price) directly to another Mac version. I don't want to upgrade if the CD truly only has the Mac version on it.

Thanks!