1.    #1  
    I've been using an old version of Eudora on my Treo 600 to occasionally check about 5 or 6 different pop accounts. I'm considering switching to VZW's unlimited data plan and will then possibly look to one of the email apps that support "push" for at least one or two of those accounts. But, I don't fully understand how this all works.

Currently, at any given time, I might be working from a desktop or one of 3 laptops (which, for purposes of this discussion, I'll call desktops). Each of the desktops is running Eudora and each is set to NOT automatically delete messages from the server. This allows me to read on either my Treo or any of the desktops and still be able to manually delete any unwanted mails from the server from any device - but, also allows me to archive what I want to keep when I get back to the main desktop. Whatever email client I end with on the Treo, I don't want to lose this capability.

So, with this in mind, can anyone explain how IMAP and Push work (are these the same?) and if I'll lose this flexibility.

I should also mention that I'm not interesting in Synching to any of my desktops - I prefer to get email on the Treo wirelessly and having the Treo and each of the desktops totally independent of each other.

Additional preferences
    - no ongoing license fees
    - no intermediate server
    - ability to store mail on SD card
    - push for at least one or 2 accounts (I think)

Some of the clients I'm looking at are ChatterEmail, SnapperMail and VersaMail.

From what I've seen on the different product sites, only SnapperMail supports memory card storage of the 3 listed above (but, it's a premium version).

Should I be considering any other clients that fit my preferences?

Thanks in advance
    Push is an otional feature of IMAP, not all IMAP servers support it. I use Fastmail and it supports push. I also use Chatter and Snappermail. Chatter supports push, background checking of your mail, background sending of your mail, et cetera. Snappermail does not support push or other background functions. Both are very good products with good support. Snappermail is the only one to support memory card storage and is on the "think about list" with Chatter.

If you want push, you should consider Chatter. If you want storage, it's Snappermail. If you want push with multiple accounts, it's Chatter again. No intermediate servers - Snappermail and Chatter. No ongoing license fees - well, it's a developer's choice.

Ben
    Yeah, apart from the fact that Chatter doesn't yet support messages on SD it's perfect. I do know that several CE users are requesting this feature, though, and that the developer is a very responsive with new releases. I haven't seen a promise of this capability, but I know that it's on the list of enhancements that are coming.
  4.    #4  
    It looks like Chatter may be the way to go, although, external storage may become an issue.

With Chatter, would I be able to delete / save messages on my desktops independently of the Treo? IOW, can delete a message from the Treo to free up memory without deleting it from the server and from the desktop(s). How about attachments? Can I set Chatter to NOT dowload attachments or can I delete those attachments without deleting them from the server / desktops?
    If you're syncing messages with Chatter, then (by definition) you can't delete indepently. But you don't HAVE to sync. Attachments are always loaded manually, and yes, attachments deleted from the Treo are kept on the server.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by nycfonephreak
    It looks like Chatter may be the way to go, although, external storage may become an issue.

With Chatter, would I be able to delete / save messages on my desktops independently of the Treo? IOW, can delete a message from the Treo to free up memory without deleting it from the server and from the desktop(s). How about attachments? Can I set Chatter to NOT dowload attachments or can I delete those attachments without deleting them from the server / desktops?
    I'm not sure this is completely what you intend, but there are configuration options for each account/folder ("Mailbox" in CE-speak) you add. In particular, the __ days and Keep Older Messages on Treo options work together to define a retention policy for messages (only on the Treo, not the server). For very busy folders, I might only keep 3 days, but my inbox I don't specify a date and allow all messages of any age to remain on the Treo.

The other option that can help is that you choose (again, per mailbox) how much of each sync'ed message is actually loaded onto your device. If you open the message and want to see more, you click on a "Load More" link and the rest of the message is retrieved.

Tuning the options for your particular wishes or email patterns will take a small amount of care, but you should be able to strike a balance between the storage the messages take up and the ability to process your email effectively.

I totally agree, though, that I would be tracking many more folders if I had an SD storage option. :-)