1.    #1  
    Lately, on several occasions, when my 650 is plugged into the PalmOne USB / powered charger cable I'll pick up my phone and the battery will be burning hot. And... When I turn the phone on the screen is black - no back light. If I pop the battery out, and put it back in then the screen returns to normal. Anyone else seen this?

Dunc
    This tends to happen when your surfing or talking while the phone is charging. Its a good thing because the phone won't hurt itself by overheating. I just look at it as a feature that can get annoying but remember its a good thing and your not alone..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, all Treos (300, 600, 650) get warm while you talk. But that's not what I mean. I come back to my desk, pick up the phone that is plugged in, and presumably asleep, and it's fire hot. I push one of the 4 app buttons, the Treo wakes up and the screen is w/o backlight. The only way to get the backlight back on is to pop the battery out and put it back in.

Dunc
    Definately sounds like something is at fault...The battery should get warm during use but not burning hot. I would definately remove the battery from the Treo in order to avoid any explosions or leaking, and promptly return it for an exchange. Return the charging cable too...that may be causing it...might be the battery...or might be the Treo. Impossible to tell.
    My phone does the backlight thing all the time and its quite a pain. My phone can just be sitting on the table not being charged and I will recieve a call. When I go to look at my phone the blacklight is not even on so I can tell who is calling. It also does it when I go to wake my phone up, only way to get the light on is to hit ALT P and move the slider a little. At first I thought it might just do that when the battery is low, but its done it with a 60% battery.
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Mine is charging now and when I picked it up to check for calls, the backlight would not come on. I locked and unlocked it several times and seems to have cleared up.

However it is not hot while charging.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    This happened to me a few times while using ptunes. My backlight went off, and ptunes stays playing. However my screen is not completely off... you can still see ptunes playing... after a while it gets hot. I always make sure my screen is off now so this doesn't happen. Hasn't happened since. If it is happening to you while it is completely off, then you might have a bad battery, or a faulty charger...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    Lately, on several occasions, when my 650 is plugged into the PalmOne USB / powered charger cable I'll pick up my phone and the battery will be burning hot. And... When I turn the phone on the screen is black - no back light. If I pop the battery out, and put it back in then the screen returns to normal. Anyone else seen this?

Dunc
    Sounds like something is definitely wrong, there were cases when people got burned by defective kyocera 7135 batteries, I would return it.
    So is this definately a problem with the treo itself? or a problem with the battery? I can't really imagine it being a battery problem. Mine just did this for the first time yesterday when i was charging it.. i turned it on and the screen went dark (but the keyboard stayed lit). i checked the brightness, which i usually keep set about halfway... and found that if i turned it all the way up, it would come back on... but at any level less than that it would go out. The problem fixed itself when i unplugged it from the charger. Also, this has happened twice to me when hotsyncing (i don't charge while hotsyncing...usually i charge all night long, then hotsync when i get home from work). One time i had to do a reset to fix it... the second time it happened, just powering off and back on took care of it.

anyhow... I guess i should take the treo back and exchange it?
    If your battery is hot I would say its a hardware issue and take it back. If the battery is not hot you would have to hard reset and go without syncing for a bit or only sync pim and go for a few days to rule out software conflicts. Because returning the phone for software conflicts is pointless.