1.    #1  
    I am confused even after reading all i could find. I want to buy a palm treo 650 to use on cingular. Here is whati want to know. Can i be signed on to aim all the time on my treo so that anytime i get a message, it will come there and i can send messages from it. I have an AIM account, not an AOL account. (Actually i have an aol account too, but don't use it for messaging. the one i use for messaging isn't connected to an AOL account!) If so, what program do i use and are there any fees associated to it? much appreciated, simple response!

thanks,
    michael

------
    grundler30606
    ------
  2. rg1
    Yep, most Treo owners do exactly that. There are a number of apps that do this: verichat and causserie are the most popular.
  3.    #3  
    thanks. anyone have a preference about verichat vs causerie?

michael
    One other option, which is what I do, is to use AIM SMS forwarding.
    Any time you log out of AIM, it automatically forwards all text messages to your phone via text (SMS) messaging. The obvoius downside to this is that you'l need to pay for a text messaging plan, but this way you don't need to run a text messaging app to be signed in 24/7.
    Check out http://anywhere.aol.com/ and check out 'IM forwading'.
    There are also complete instructions for logging in, out, adding buddies, removing buddies, and initiating IM sessions somewhere on that site.
    Last edited by taylorh; 06/12/2005 at 02:51 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  5. rg1
    ^^ Very good point. SMS forwarding has some advantages... it will save your battery since you don't need a constant data connection. And, the Treo has a very nice SMS app that looks like a chat session -- so, it will be organized nicely. But it's a little more cumbersome to get your buddy list as well as send someone an IM that didn't initiate it to you.

Regarding Causserie vs Verichat.... do a search. There are too many threads out there on this exactly topic already.
    I know this is branching a bit off topic, but I accidentally found this site called "IM Forwards." What I don't get, is why you would use this "service" to do exactly what you can do for free through Yahoo and AIM. I just don't get it.
    http://www.imforwards.com/

Anyway, back on topic. I personally think verichat is the best for IM client for always on background IMing if you go that route. Verichat also offers their own IM forwarding os you don't have to stay logged in with Verichat.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G