Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a long-time PC user who, after getting MacMini for my plasma TV at home, am seriously considering making a complete switch to Apple. idea

Since my Treo 650 is seemingly permanently attached to my hand, I need to make sure a Treo and Powerbook can co-exist in mutual harmony.

My questions:
    [1] Do I need to purchase separate synching software? (I currently use PocketMirrorXP to sync with Outlook, since Palm's native/free sync program kept screwing things up)

[2] I am certainly not in love with Outlook, but have been using it forever. What is Apple's analogous contacts and calendar program? (I know it has a separate mail program). As for second party applications, other than Outlook for Mac (which I assume is part of the Office suite for OS-X), are there other programs out there? What programs can the Treo sync with (for calendar and contacts)?

[3] Since the new Powerbooks have bluetooth, can the Treo be synch'd via Bluetooth?

[4] Any other Treo==>Apple Powerbook issues I should know about? Shocked

Apologies in advance for asking what I am sure are common questions, but couldn't find a concise post in my search that addressed these questions for Mac newbies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    [1] Do I need to purchase separate synching software? (I currently use PocketMirrorXP to sync with Outlook, since Palm's native/free sync program kept screwing things up)
    No. The sync software is already on the same CD that shipped with your 650. some will advise Isync (comes with Mac already) or MissingSync. Neither of these is necessary.

[2] I am certainly not in love with Outlook, but have been using it forever. What is Apple's analogous contacts and calendar program? (I know it has a separate mail program). As for second party applications, other than Outlook for Mac (which I assume is part of the Office suite for OS-X), are there other programs out there? What programs can the Treo sync with (for calendar and contacts)?
    Apple has a mail program... for more infor see www.apple.com.

AddressBook for contacts. but, I recommend the palm desktop because the apple organizing software is substandard IMO.

There is a palm desktop for mac that ships with the 650, I recommend using that since ical, etc. are substandard IMO since they do not maintain categories, etc.

The Splash suite of software will sync with Mac, as well as pocket quicken, etc.

If you want to watch movies on your Treo, Kinoma and Kinoma producer are excellent.

[3] Since the new Powerbooks have bluetooth, can the Treo be synch'd via Bluetooth?
    Yes.

Apple's poor implementation of organizing software has been shocking to me because they do everything else so well.
    The main problem with apple is the lack of support for palm categories and the lack of a built in memo program but StickyBrain from Chronos works fabulously for me as a memo replacement. I do use categories in the apple oragnizer program (ical) and to accomplish this, I simply type in a 2 or 3 character prefix to the front of todo items (@w, @c, @h ....etc) . One thing I have found useful as a todo supplement is using Tasks, a very well designed online todo database server, which you can access from your Treo browser or any mac or pc browser easily, and you can access it via the mac calendar and RSS feeds.

http://www.kingdesign.net/tasks/
    I made an XP -> Powerbook switch a few months ago and have had no issues. I have had a 650 for a few weeks now and can offer a few thoughts...

1) BT HotSync works perfectly -- I have never used my USB cable to date
    2) MissingSync for PalmOS lets you take control of all sort of conduits with ease
    3) I prefer Entourage (MAC Outlook) to the OS X Mail, iCal and Address apps. There is a conduit for Entourage included in the Office 2004 install
    4) Get Chatter and an IMAP mail service if you do not have one already -- the push mail is awesome
    5) There are plenty of OS X shareware and freeware apps that can fill any gaps (memos, etc.)
    I am a long-time PC user who, after getting MacMini for my plasma TV at home, am seriously considering making a complete switch to Apple. idea

Since my Treo 650 is seemingly permanently attached to my hand, I need to make sure a Treo and Powerbook can co-exist in mutual harmony.

My questions:

Apologies in advance for asking what I am sure are common questions, but couldn't find a concise post in my search that addressed these questions for Mac newbies...
    1. You definitely don't need to purchase additional sync software. However, I use the Missing Sync and I love it. I prefer it greatly to Palm Desktop, which I have always hated.

2. I use Mail/Address Book/iCal. I don't know if I understand what the "categories" are that people are missing out on. iCal lets you create different types of calendars (work, personal, etc.) and you can name them whatever you please. I find everything on Apple tends to work better when you fully integrate into their stuff. I use .Mac sync and iSync to keep all my calendars and contacts up to date across my two computers, my iPod, and my Treo. I used to use Entourage and I found it satisfactory as well if you are more comfortable in the MS environment. Apple Mail's junk mail filter is excellent, in my opinion.

3. Bluetooth sync is no problem, though I suppose not the speediest thing in the world.

4. If you want to mount your SD card to the desktop to transfer movies, etc. then I really recommend Missing Sync (if you don't already have a card reader). It also integrates well with iTunes and iPhoto. If you are into movies on the Treo, Kinoma certainly works, though I prefer the free alternative of Mac the Ripper and D-Vision. I find they also result in smaller files at the same level of quality as Kinoma, which means you can fit more movies on your SD card. Kinoma is probably easier to use and is an all-in-one solution.
    Are you folks having these successes with the Verizon flavor of the 650? I am a long time Mac and Palm user who'd like to get a 650 but I can't get consistent answers from the local Verizon folks about what works and what doesn't.
    I use a PB 15 with my Verizon t650 with no problems. Though currently I can't use Entourage/650 integration since my company hasn't upgraded their exchange servers past 5.5 yet. Will update when I migrate.

Scott
    missing sync is worth getting as it integrates well with splash photo and itunes...it also has a memo pad seperate programme that although basic works for me..they have 'conduits' of sorts that makes it easy to transfer songs and pics. Palm are dropping their mac ahem 'support' but the missing sync developer is well on top of important mac changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    Palm are dropping their mac ahem 'support'
    PalmOne is continueing to support Mac. It's PalmSource that has decided to forgo support. See http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/04...=1083216766000
  10.    #10  
    Now that I've determined that the Treo will work with a Mac, a couple more questions for your Apple People..

I went to the Apple store and am torn between the 12 and the 15" PowerBooks. I know this is a decision only I can make...

[1]I'm thinking of getting the 12" and buy an external monitor. Having never had an Apple before, I'm not sure what I need to look for in buying an external monitor. Anything I should know?

[2]Also, if I plan to use the 12" with an external monitor and keyboard (while at work), if everything is hooked up, does the notebook need to be open for it to work with the external display and keyboard/mouse? Just trying to picture the set up at my desk...

[3] If I want to buy one online (to save on sales tax), anyone recommend a retailer?

finally,
    [4] Since I plan on upgrading the memory to 1GB, where to people recommend getting it?

Thanks a ton.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    You are touching on one of the many best things about a mac. Get any external monitor you want, but I recommend one with a DVI input. You can use your laptop open and have an extended desktop, open and have the desktops mirrored, or closed and just use the external monitor.

The 12 inch is great, but I would go with the 15 because it has a firewire 800 port which is great for external hard drives.

Go with Missing sync just to make things easier. I use Entourage that syncs with my corporate exchange account which also syncs with the Treo.

These issues were big for me when I was thinking of making the "switch" because I always some kind of pim device. But it ended up working better than I thought it would. Just do it. Pick up a copy of a book called "Switching to Mac" today for a good little read on the differences between Mac and Windows.
    Mac office is very nice and Entourage is better (for now) than mail.
    Do you use an PC only apps? If so, consider that the only way to run them is using Virtual PC (slow). If you use any high level PC apps daily, you will need to find a Mac alternative.

12" vs 15"
    Smaller screen with fewer pixels. But easier to use on an airplane.
    100 megabit Ethernet vs Gigabit. May not matter to you.
    No PCMCIA card slot. I wanted to use a PC card for EVDO access so that was a big deal to me.
    Slower video card. Might matter if you use a big external monitor.
    I think the cache is smaller which would make some operations slower to respond.
    No backlit keyboard (not a big deal)

My advice? Unless you travel a ton and want the lighter weight, the 15" is a much better machine for day to day work.
    I use one with a 17" DVI flat screen at home and work. Mines been up without a crash for more than a month now.
    I've had Verizon's 650 for a couple of weeks now and largely it works without problems. An an Entourage user, the biggest issue I had came about when I started using Verizon's built-in WirelessSync and Email programs.

Long story short, it hosed up my Entourage conduits even though everything was properly set up. Because WirelessSync backs up everything to Verizon's servers -- something I neither need nor want -- I stopped using it as well as Verizon's Mail program altogether. Why?

First: Because Verizon's mail program is lame
    Second: Because I use Entourage
    Third: I don't have any use for Verizon keeping a backup of everything on my Palm, using lots of my 10MB/month data service to do so, and doing it all wirelessly -- kinda slow.

I recommend SnapperMail as a good alternative for email; it's GREAT (www.snappermail.com).

In any event, once I got everything reset and reconfigured properly (including WirelessSync, which you cannot delete), everything works beautifully.

The 650 is a great device, and I find that I now kinda feel lost without it. The combination of cell phone with speakerphone, IM, SMS, MMS, pretty decent camera/video, Calendar and full Contact database is like a dream; I'm literally in touch wherever I go. And I can turn all of it off when I don't want to be.

However, the Treo's not perfect; I don't think any PDA/phone on the market today is. The more third-party software apps you load, the more likely you are to have occasional freezes and other anomalies happen from time to time. I usually have to reboot my Treo once every day for something or other. The majority of my issues seem to center around using the phone when you've also been using other open apps, in my case particularly with Verichat (IM software that works very well), sometimes the MultiMedia Service and the latest challenge, better password protection software from Tealpoint's Teallock (great security program but a bit quirky on the 650).

But at the end of the day, none of the problems I have is significant and consistent, so they're bearable. I'm glad I waited to get the 650, however. And I'm glad Verizon finally got off the dime and certified the darned thing. On balance, I highly recommend it, particularly if you're a heavy Palm user; the integration with the phone is well done.

Battery life is OK; nothing to write home about. But considering all that the device is capable of doing simultaneously, it still gives a pretty good bang on a full charge -- usually about a full day for me. You'll find yourself charging this device much more frequently than a conventional cell phone. My recommendation is to get the charging cradle w/ extra battery recharger when it becomes available through this site or PalmOne store.

There's hefty debate over the efficacy of buying MissingSync and using it in favor of Palm's HotSync software. My suggestion is to try the latter first; if you don't have problems, then don't fix what ain't broken.

Hope this helps.
    --
    C D

San Diego, CA
    First, welcome to the MacWorld Argelius!

As you've read, there are no worries, we love our Macs and 650s. I like The Missing Sync as well, adds some nice touches.

As far as 12" vs. 15", I think that the 15" is much better if you plan to run external displays. Do a comparison at the Apple Store. If you don't mind being slightly obsolete, the Apple Store (online) has great deals on refurbished products. A few months to over a year old, but with the full waranty (upgradable with Apple Care) and Tiger and iLife but much cheaper. You gotta pay sales tax though.
    -mbd26
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    The PowerBook does not need to be open when in use with an external monitor.

My setup includes a 12" PB with external monotor, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and wireless network - saves connecting cables!

Cellmatrix: Nice avatar
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Argelius, another program you will love for the Treo and Mac is Salling Clicker. Comes in very handy if you use your Poerbook for everything as I do.
    Arsman (we got a lot of Brits in this thread?),
    Does the Treo 650 allow you full use of Salling clicker? I'd thought that the Treo's BT was disabled to some extent.

I know it should probably be a different thread post, but can you give a brief description of your user experience with Treo/Salling/Mac?

Cheers!
    -mbd26
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Lots of Brits on the Mac board? I knew you guys had good taste.

Anyway, my experience with Salling Clicker has been great. It is probably the most stable program I have used with the Treo. I use it mostly as a remote for iTunes and the DVD player. I also use it for presentations at work since it works very well with Powerpoint (it even shows you your notes for the slide displayed). There is also support for lots of other products that I don't own. Plus, it's scriptable so there are new functions available on the website all the time.

I haven't had any problems, I suppose the range on the 650 might be less than other phones, but I get good range (30 feet or so line of sight).

I highly recommend this software, I just wish most software was as well designed as this.
    I just downloaded and registered Salling Clicker this morning. Man this is one sweet application. The only thing I would like it to do is control which set of speakers in my house to stream my iTunes music through. I have 2 AirPort Express units, one upstairs in the Master Bedroom and one in the Family Room, that are slectable for streaming in the iTunes interface. One other thing, it would be cool if I could select the iTunes Radio channels too.

All in all, a great addition to the Mac/Treo Combo.
  20.    #20  
    Hello All,
    Thanks for all your thoughts. I am happy to report that I am now the proud owner of a 15" PowerBook. Just lovin' my Mac! I can't wait to send my PC notebook to its firey grave on Ebay.

A couple more questions.

[1] I am pretty much planning on using Entourage on my Mac to sync with my T650. I am using the 'test drive' version until my 'students and teachers' version arrives in the mail. Does anyone know where/if the Palm conduits are in the 'test drive' version that comes preinstalled?

[2] I am a little confused about iSync vs. PalmDesktop for Mac vs. Missing Sync. Which will work with Entourage? I don't have complicated categories or lots of contact fields (other than the standard ones). Can I use iSync? Do I also need to install Palm Desktop?

Thanks! After spending hours yesterday f*(%ing with the Sprint ROM update, I'm falling behind in my migration to Mac...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast