1.    #1  
    I thought I remembered someone else discussing a similar problem, but I searched and couldn't find a fix anywhere.

Versamail has been working like a champ for months... but all of a sudden whenever I delete e-mail from my server, the old e-mail doesn't actually get deleted, and old messages keep reappearing whenever it checks for new e-mail.

Anyone know a fix for this?
    same problem - would love a fix
    I wrote a an email to Palm Support a while ago. Supposedly it is a known problem with Versa-Mail and they are working on a fix. I have not yet seen a download on the P1 website yet for this, I have the same problem. "Delete off server" and empty-ing the trash does not do what it is supposed to do. It keeps coming back!

I have a Sprint Treo 650 -- maybe this "new" (beyond 1.08) firmware update that is being talked about will contain the fix. . . . . .

Until then, I do the deletes when I get back to my PC.

Cheers, Perry
  4.    #4  
    Hmmm... the curious part is that it worked perfectly for a long, long time. Only recently has it stopped deleting old mail from the server.

So some file or setting must have got changed or corrupted. If anyone out there knows which corrupt file to delete and let the software re-create it, everything should go back to working correctly again.

I'm too lazy to try a hard reset and reinstall everything, though that should do the trick as well, since it used to work just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    Hmmm... the curious part is that it worked perfectly for a long, long time. Only recently has it stopped deleting old mail from the server.

So some file or setting must have got changed or corrupted. If anyone out there knows which corrupt file to delete and let the software re-create it, everything should go back to working correctly again.

I'm too lazy to try a hard reset and reinstall everything, though that should do the trick as well, since it used to work just fine.
    Hi mhzimmer!

Do you have Sprint, as I do? I do not know if this is a Sprint only issue. My delete off server, also, worked for awhile, then stopped -- and thus the email to P1 and their "We are working on it response."

Maybe I should call P1 or Sprint support and get confirmation that this is not a "quick fix" situation (file or setting change). It is an annoying problem.

Anyone out there have the fix?

Cheers, Perry.
    I dont have a "FIX," but I do have the same problem; old mail remains on server. Was working perfectly for a while; as others have already stated.

IMO, I dont believe that it is a corrupted that took place and can be removed from the Treo. My mind (which is constantly in motion) tells me it is a problem on the server end.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi mhzimmer!

Do you have Sprint, as I do? I do not know if this is a Sprint only issue. My delete off server, also, worked for awhile, then stopped -- and thus the email to P1 and their "We are working on it response.
    I'm on Cingular... so I don't think it's a carrier issue
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=8,E=0000000000077961285,K=3795,Sxi=18,Case=obj(39394)

Just talked to Sprint and PalmOne. The above is PalmOne's Knowledge Base statement on the issue. Apparently some POP3 servers cannot correctly process the delete request. The are saying it is the server's issue and not the Treo's or VersaMail. You must contact your server provider to see if they can correct the problem on the server.

Sprint confirmed the non-delete issue for VersaMail and said I should start using their Business Connection service.

Just talked with Comcast (my home internet email provider) and the technician confirmed the issue as PalmOne states it in their knowledge base article. Mine was the third call he, personally, has had on the issue -- and he "escalated" them all up to network technicians. I imagine the more people that call their provider -- the better chance there will be for a cure --since some POP3 servers do not have a problem with the delete request.

Cheers, Perry.

Solution ID: 39394
    Email remains on server even though VersaMail option is set to 'Delete mail on the server after deleting from VersaMail'

This issue can occur when you've set up VersaMail to delete email on the email server after you've deleted it from the VersaMail application on your palmOne device. Even if you have this setting activated, the emails are not deleted from the server.

Why does this happen?
    It happens because when you delete an email in VersaMail, you must also empty the Trash before the email is deleted from the server.

Why? When you delete a message in VersaMail, messages are moved to the Deleted or Trash folder in VersaMail. You must select "Empty trash" from the Messages menu. Once you've done that, you'll be prompted to "Delete messages from both the handheld and the server, or from just the handheld?". You must select Both, which then prompts "Would you like to update the server now to avoid delays getting and sending email later?" Selecting OK will delete the messages from the server.

Help! I've emptied the Trash, and emails are STILL on the server.
    Some POP3 email servers and accounts do not have the ability to "remember" messages that have been downloaded before. In addition, the POP3 protocol does not support Read/Unread flags, so if you choose to just download "Unread Only" messages, you will still get all messages that are in your email inbox.

If this is happening to you, unfortunately there's not much you can do about it. The issue stems from the way your POP3 email service provider has set up the account.

Other types of email accounts (IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync) do have the ability to "remember" which messages have been downloaded. You should not see this issue with IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync accounts if you empty the Deleted or Trash folder before synchronizing email.

Article ID: 39394 Category(s):
    Date Created: Dec 17, 2004 Date Modified: Apr 22, 2005
    Relevant products: Visor Deluxe, Visor Platinum, Visor Prism, Visor Edge, Visor Pro, Visor Neo, Treo 90, PalmPilot, Palm Pilot w/2mb Upgrade, Palm IIIxe, Palm IIIx, Palm IIIe, Palm IIIc, Palm III, Palm Vx, Palm VIIx, Palm VII, Palm V, Palm i705, Palm m515, Palm m505, Palm m500, Palm m130, Palm m125, Palm m105, Palm m100, LifeDrive, Zire, Zire 21, Zire 31, Zire 71, Zire 72, Treo 180g, Treo 180, Treo 270, Treo 300, Treo 600 (Verizon), Treo 600 (Sprint), Treo 600 (GSM), Treo 600 (Bell Mobility), Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM), Treo 650 (Sprint), Treo 650 (Verizon), Treo 650 (Rogers), Treo 650 (Earthlink), Treo 650 (Cingular), Tungsten W, Tungsten C, Tungsten E, Tungsten E2, Tungsten T, Tungsten T2, Tungsten T3, Tungsten T5
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/13/2005 at 09:35 AM.
    My work around at the moment is this:

I delete e-mail from my main Versa-Mail screen on theTreo but DO NOT empty the "trash." In that way, the deleted email is not redownloaded to the Treo on the next "get."

When I get home or back to the office - I empty the trash off my Treo and delete the file(s) from the server using my PC.

Annoying, but it gets the job done.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/14/2005 at 07:16 AM.
  10.    #10  
    Anyone try a hard reset (and then restore data) to fix this problem? Did it work?

I'm heading out on vacation shortly, and while I was hoping the Cingular ROM update might fix this issue... it doesn't look like Cingular is going to release it in time for me.
    And I hate to go the hard reset route more than absolutely necessary (especially since the ROM upgrade is around the corner and will require the same thing).

Mark
    Anyone try a hard reset (and then restore data) to fix this problem? Did it work?

I'm heading out on vacation shortly, and while I was hoping the Cingular ROM update might fix this issue... it doesn't look like Cingular is going to release it in time for me.
    And I hate to go the hard reset route more than absolutely necessary (especially since the ROM upgrade is around the corner and will require the same thing).

Mark
    The Sprint 1.12 firmware update did not fix the issue. It is a problem at the POP3 server end. Some can do it, some can't. My IT person at work is going to take a look at upgrading our POP3 server, to see if she can fix the situation.

However, I have noticed on autosync (I have mine set at every 30 minutes) that VersaMail only brings down new mail in that time frame -- not all email in the inbox, even if I have deleted it off the Treo.) So you could do that. Have it set for every 15 minutes, delete off the Treo as you go to save space, and only get "new" mail on the autosyncs. (I do, however, get everything that is in the server in box if I do a manual get.) Then do your deletes off the server from a PC when you get back from your trip.
  12.    #12  
    Do any of the other Palm e-mail applications have the same reported problem, ie., like Snappermail, etc? Or is this just a Versamail issue?

If so, I may just succumb to buying a different e-mail client for my Treo.

Crazy thing for me is that Versamail was working perfectly until about a month ago; which is why it just doesn't feel like a pop3 server issue.

Mark
    Do any of the other Palm e-mail applications have the same reported problem, ie., like Snappermail, etc? Or is this just a Versamail issue?

If so, I may just succumb to buying a different e-mail client for my Treo.

Crazy thing for me is that Versamail was working perfectly until about a month ago; which is why it just doesn't feel like a pop3 server issue.

Mark
    A portion of the PalmOne issue sheet:
    If this is happening to you, unfortunately there's not much you can do about it. The issue stems from the way your POP3 email service provider has set up the account.

Other types of email accounts (IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync) do have the ability to "remember" which messages have been downloaded. You should not see this issue with IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync accounts if you empty the Deleted or Trash folder before synchronizing email.

by Perry -- so, if ChatterMail or SnapperMail use IMAP or ActiveSync, you should be good to go. . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/23/2005 at 11:04 PM.
    I've only had my Cingular Treo 650 for a week, and it's my first PDA so although I'm computer literate, I'm a complete newbie here.
    I played with the Treo a few days, learning the essential buttons and menus, before setting up my SBCglobal.net account to POP in. When I opted to "get" mail, of course it downloaded all 206 "unread" messages in my account. I had no problem deleting the first 50 or so, but now I can only delete one to four message before the Treo resets, and some of the messages I thought I deleted are reappearing.
    I went to my PC and marked ALL messages as "read" but I'm still getting the resets on the Treo. After reading some of these threads, I emptied the trash, but that has not helped.
    What should I do next?
    Thanks, CurliSu
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I check 3 POP mail accounts from my SprintPCS Treo. Two of the accounts delete fine, the SprintPCS account does not.
    I use an IMAP account and it also deleted everything fine at first; but lately has not been deleting. It is frustrating to keep getting the same emails and then to have to get them yet again when I find a hotspot for my notebook. I really do not understand why it would work and then NOT work.

Alan
    I can confirm it is not related to the mail server at the ISP. Rather, a corruption in the VersaMail database. Here's how I fix it whenever that happens: I delete the mail account on VersaMail, and create it again as new. Problem solved -- messages are now correctly being deleted from the server when removed from VM's trash.

Sidenote: Versamail only allows for the creation of 10 or so new mail accounts. When you have reached the 10th new account, you need to delete the VersaMail database on the Treo, and soft reset. Then, create the new account as necessary.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilson
    I can confirm it is not related to the mail server at the ISP. Rather, a corruption in the VersaMail database. Here's how I fix it whenever that happens: I delete the mail account on VersaMail, and create it again as new. Problem solved -- messages are now correctly being deleted from the server when removed from VM's trash.

Sidenote: Versamail only allows for the creation of 10 or so new mail accounts. When you have reached the 10th new account, you need to delete the VersaMail database on the Treo, and soft reset. Then, create the new account as necessary.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Mike
    "I recommended the usual rebuild of the account. If that doesn't work from there it's back to scratch with FileZ fix (from device soft reseting with versamail) or hard reset and rename backup and versamail folder. The only other alternative i've found is using outlook or another pop client from a computer to clean the server every few days. While this may not be a solution, it is a work-a-round that actually works
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilson

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Mike

THANK YOU !!!!!!!! It works! And Sprint and Palm told us it was a POP3 server issue. Shame on them!

Side note -- my VersaMail only allows 8 accounts and I also had to delete the deleted versamail account, from my Treo, from the hot sync manager conduit on the PC, as well.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/29/2005 at 07:27 AM.
    I can't delete my Versamail messages on my palm treo 700P from my server... they keep coming back. Can anyone help me here?
    Thanks!