Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Do USB adapters allow for internet on Treo650? Also, what is up with 300+ feet range they advertise? I thought bluetooth was 33ft. max? Compusa has several models on their website.

Thank You
    *sigh* search for the "BT DUN patch" and PDAnet for more info....

Also, the range of BT devices depends on the class. The Class 1 has the sensitivity specified at -88 dBm and the distance is up to 100 m outdoors. Few companies include such products in their lines because such distances are rarely needed. Class 2 devices have the standard range of approx. 10 m, however some indicate as much as 20m, and it makes -70 dBm. Most BT dongles are Class 2 obviously.

Furthermore, a Class 1 dongle will not necessarily increase your BT range b/c the Treo still need to communicate with the dongle, as such the range will be determined by the Treo's BT range...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by kronium
    Do USB adapters allow for internet on Treo650? Also, what is up with 300+ feet range they advertise? I thought bluetooth was 33ft. max? Compusa has several models on their website.

Thank You
    Which way are you trying to make it work? Are you trying to use the Treo as a modem (over bluetooth) for a PC. Or are you trying to get on the internet through broadband via the PC instead of using the cellular network to get online?

I have used both the 33ft and 300ft versions.
    My suggestion, just get the 150 meter version that CompUSA sells which is CompUSA branded (with a flip up antenna.) I have 3 of those and they work great.
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...330&pfp=SEARCH
    You can't beat the price, and as I said they work very very well.
    They advertise 150 meter (about 500ft,) but the range is really closer to about 100 feet, not 150 meters. At that, the 33ft models actually work within about 33 feet based on my experience.
    So the the 100 foot limitation I mention may be the Treo's ability to broacast back to the adapater, so while the adapter may have a actually have a 150 meter range (same model adapter to adapter) the Treo doesn't have that range. Still I get about 100 feet as long as there isn't a lot of metal (walls and such) between me and the adapter.

To use the treo as a modem with bluetooth, use PDANet http://www.junefabrics.com/
    To do the oposite and get the treo online without using your cell phone data plan (getting internet access through your pc via broadband) use Softick PPP
    http://www.softick.com/ppp/ which, by the way, also works with your USB sync cable in addition to bluetooth.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses guys. I should have clarified myself. I'm trying to get broadband off of my PC. Taylorh, how is the experience with softick ppp, what kind of speed are you getting? Does it work well with blazer or do I need a different browser?

That's amazing you can get 100 feet off your Treo! I'll be setting things up this weekend. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by kronium; 06/11/2005 at 03:00 AM.
    OK, so I don't know if it's exactly 100 feet, but it's pretty far. It's most of the floor at in my building at work and it's all the way to the street outside at my house (in the back room.) So it's pretty far.
    You don't need softick PPP to do the broadband thing. You can simply install the bluetooth software and set up the adapter to allow 'bluetooth LAN access." This turns the bluetooth into a virtual network adapter and then enables broadband sharing on your actual PC network card to give you network access. However, I have issues using my VPN client to VPN in to work when it's configured this way.
    Softick PPP simply listens for a serial connection on your USB sync cable or virtual COM port set up on your bluetooth adapter. Then, it acts like a PPP server. It'll let your treo log in, give it a (NAT) IP address and you're golden.
    So simply set up your bluetooth adapter for virtual serial (COM) port (nothing else) and instlal softick PPP, and it makes it really really simple. The only thing you can't do is access the PC directly...such as using mobleTS to try to remote windows desktop login to your PC this way or a web server you might be running on that actual PC that you're using to get on to the broadband. It's because of the way it sets up NAT. Otherwise I think it actually works better than using the built in windows virtual LAN adapter for bluetooth to get online.
    Also Softick PPP, again, works over USB sync cable.
    I first discovered it when I had a Treo 600 and did not have an unlimited data plan. I wanted to get online to set up bookmarks, cache pages, etc over the USB cable so I'd use minimal bandwidth over the cel network.
    Softick PPP has since been upgraded to support bluetooth with Treo 650. So it works well.

The typical buzzword for this is "Reverse bluetooth DUN" or "Reverse DUN" although that description is inacurate, that's what people on here refer to this method as. In any case, if you search on those keywords you might find more discussions on this subject. I know I myself have posted on more than one thread on this topic. Regardless, I'll be happy to answer questions if you have any.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Taylorh, much obilged for the help. I'll try the simple method first. Just need simple internet access at home. I found the same usb adapter you pointed out at Compusa, coming out of Hong Kong for less than $20 including shipping. I got a couple of them for kicks. I'll read the reverse DUN threads, and come hunt you down later if I still can't get it.

Thanks Again!
    bump