1.    #1  
    I hate to report some terrible treatment from Cingular, but they could care less about me. I am a new Treo 650 user, I came over from Sprint. I have had my phone for 3 months and had many problems with it. (i solved most of them with help from TC) I love the 650 but there are just too many little things that keep coming up and it is now becoming more of a problem than I want. I have invested a couple of hundred dollars in software and accessories and I hate to get rid of it. I called Cingular and waited for 1.5 hrs. on hold! I asked them for a new phone. They told me that they could only keep swapping out my existing Treo for a new one. I do not want another new one. I need another phone not another Treo! They refused to help me. This is terrible customer service! I would not purchase anything from Cingular! Beware!
    Mis-read the first time.

So you don't want to keep the 650 at all? I'm surprized they wouldn't do something about that, especially if you've switched it out three times. I can't imagine what would cause you to switch it out that many times, mine has been great.

Go to a store and see what they can do. You might have to buy a replacement phone and sell yours, but see what happens.
    Last edited by khaytsus; 06/10/2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Misread the original post :o
    Why should they give you a new phone? I think they should give you a new treo, but why a different phone. It sounds to me that you are unhappy with your purchase and are looking to blame it on somebody. If you have really spent that much on software maybe that is your problem. I have had little to no problems with mine.

Don't blame cingular and drag their name in the mud because you made a purchase that you are not happy with.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    khaytsus... I think the problem is that he got his 650 at the subsidised price when he switched to Cingular 3 months ago. He wants another phone now.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    shatter... I don't think any carrier would take back a 3 month old phone. Cingular would have taken it back at 30 days, but you're long past that now. If you really want to get rid of it, sell it on Ebay and buy a phone from Cingular at the nonsubsidized price.
  6. Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by jscogin
    Don't blame cingular and drag their name in the mud because you made a purchase that you are not happy with.
    Agreed. Sorry for your troubles, but it seems you have unrealistic expectations.

Which carriers take back a Treo 650 after three months?
    VZW? Doubt it. Sprint? Not likely. TMO? Oops, they don't carry Treos.

Cingular gives 30 days to determine if a phone suits you. Past that and your choice is to sell your phone on ebay or similar and buy a non-subsidized replacement @ a corp store or buy a replacement off eBay.

-- Lew
  7.    #7  
    I can go through the whole list of problems that I have had that are not software related. How long should I have to have problems before I have to switch to another phone. There are known problems with the Treo 650. Cingular has told me themselves. I am happy for each of you if your unit works flawlessly.
  8. Lew
    So switch to another phone. What's stopping you? Sell yours on the Marketplace here or on eBay, then go buy a replacement. Net price differential should be little; and you can buy a no-committment phone from Cingular with warranty, or save some money & buy an unlocked (or Cingular-locked) GSM phone off eBay or Amazon or any number of other sources.

You can make it happen or you can sit here an complain. One of the two will solve your troubles, the other won't.
  9.    #9  
    Lew, the reason for my complaining is that Cingular has terrible customer service and Palm still has too many problems with the 650. People need to know these things Lew. The only way to fix a problem is to make it know to Palm & Cingular. If enough people speak up, then maybe they will make some changes. You can sit on the sidelines Lew, or you can make a difference in life. It is obvious where you stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatter
    Lew, the reason for my complaining is that Cingular has terrible customer service and Palm still has too many problems with the 650. People need to know these things Lew. The only way to fix a problem is to make it know to Palm & Cingular. If enough people speak up, then maybe they will make some changes. You can sit on the sidelines Lew, or you can make a difference in life. It is obvious where you stand.
    Careful there Tundy. That's treason.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  11. agi
    Sell it on Ebay and buy another phone ... on Ebay
  12. Lew
    You can sit on the sidelines Lew, or you can make a difference in life. It is obvious where you stand.

Get a clue. I expend plenty of time making a vast difference in many people's lives through the many hours every week I put into various volunteer service organizations. I make real differences in real people's lives.

Cingular doesn't care about you? Big surprise. Cry me a river. Do you honestly think VZW or Sprint would be any better? You're only an ETF away; and selling your Treo on ebay or here or craigslist would more than pay that ETF. Or take the other suggestions made to solve your situation.

I won't defend Cingular whatsoever. My point has been that if you think whining on an Internet forum is going to make one bit of difference to Cingular you are either naive or stupid.

With all the problems you've experienced, you should have done something about it within the thirty day window you had for returning the device. No problems in the first thirty days? Sh*t happens, sorry you had a bad experience.

People here have offered to assist in determining the issues; others have offered suggestions as to how to get rid of your Treo and move on.

You can whine about it or you can do something about it. One will get you somewhere, one will not. Your choice.
    I bought my 650 from the Cingular store cuz they were the cheapest. I unlocked it myself for T-mobile. T-mobile loves me. They send me bills every month because they care!
    Shatter, your problem is with P1 not Cingular. How is it Cingular's fault? They do not manufacturer the product. They can only replace your faulty product with another, which they have been doing.

Most of us have had problems with the 650. But most of us just try to resolve them using this forum and move on. There is not another smartphone out there that is as good as the 650. When there is, I, along with a lot of other 650 owners will be all over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by agi
    Sell it on Ebay and buy another phone ... on Ebay

My sentiments exactly.
  16.    #16  
    How long should one continue to try to solve issues with this device? I have solved several issues with the help of others on TC. For people like Lew, everything is black or white. Which is fine. I have invested allot of time and effort in this thing and I am angry that it does not work. I waited for 7 or 8 months for the T650 and spent months educating myself on this product prior to making the plunge. I guess I should be mad at myself really. I should have known better and returned it to Cingular in 30 days. As Lew so elequently put it, sh*t happens. I will make sure to tell my kids that the next time they run into a problem that they would like to change.
  17. Lew
    Wow. Guess I struck a nerve.

Maybe you should chill out a bit then reread what I posted; your last sentence suggests that you haven't yet understood what was written.

To restate it; whining and crying about what is past or what is outside your control is pointless. What matters is what your options are to change your situation as of the moment. You can take the "victim" approach and sit there like a two-year old, crying about the wrongs of the world in hopes that someone comes and fixes it for you. Or you can take the adult approach, evaluate your options, choose one, and work toward resolution.

Teach your children the latter and they will go much further in life.

Do you have reason to be mad? Sure. It can be quite frustrating when a much anticipated thing turns out to not be as hoped. Being mad and frustrated doesn't solve a thing. Ranting and raving on an internet forum accomplishes little; some will likely offer help, but typically less than a calm request for assistance. Calling for class action lawsuits does nothing except put money in lawyers' pockets.

Sh*t happens. Life is NOT fair. Complaining about these is like shouting at the rain. Better to accept that which cannot be changed and work on changing that which can.
    Last edited by Lew; 06/13/2005 at 08:01 AM.
  18.    #18  
    Lew, you are right, point well put. The Treo is being replaced again today and it is going up on Ebay. That has been my plan all along. Everybody picks their battles. I will write a letter to Cingular telling them of my disgust with their policy. Will it change it? No. It is like shouting in the rain, you are right. I have treated this like some sort of cause like erasing the debt in Africa. That is just plain stupid. I should not have worked so hard to make this thing stable, giving up should be allot easier. There will be other versions and other projects...
    I will put in my .02 cents by saying Sprint customer service is no better. I've had plenty of frustrations with Sprint over the years, and for now, everything is okay.

My first Treo 650 was replaced at the Sprint store because it was not hotsynching my Calendar properly (not at all). The replacement Treo 650 works just fine.

My personal advice is to simply replace the unit, assuming if it's still within the time limit allowed.
    My suggestion is to unlock it and switch to T-Mobile.

I got frustrated with Cingulars' crappy GPRS network support, so I switched two weeks ago and have never looked back. This is after being with Sprint for over 5 years.

Greg

unlocked unbranded GSM / T-Mobile / FW ver. 1.23