webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm OS Devices & Apps > Li Ion High Capacity 2200 mAh battery review (Mugen Power made)
Li Ion High Capacity 2200 mAh battery review (Mugen Power made)

Old 06/10/2005, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Introduction

Treo 650 Hi Capacity Battery

Lion Ion, a long time ago was very kind enough to send me an extended battery (rated 2200 mAh) so that I could use it and test it out with the Treo 650.

When I first received it, I was very impressed by the packaging. Unlike the typical blister packing which you have use the jaws of life to get open, this was an easy pop open protective clear plastic holder.

The size of the battery is that of the exact same size of the OEM battery. I did not experience any problems putting it, closing the lid etc. In fact, from afar and even up close you would not be able to tell the difference between the Mugen Power battery (the company who actually makes the battery itself) and the OEM battery. Both have the same look and the same feel, and the same "plastic coating."

One thing I did notice, is that the extended battery was slightly heavier. Of course this goes without saying as there are more cells to hold the power.

Specifications

Although I was never able to find the values from the Pa1mOne documentation, I did however determine the maximum current used during load and standby.

Here is the math

For talk time (6 hr)
Current = Rating / Time
Current = 1800 mAh / 6 hr
Current = 300 mA

For standby (300 hr)
Current = Rating / Time
Current = 1800 mAh / 300 hr
Current = 6 mA

Taking this information I applied this to the 2200 mAh battery

For talk time
Time = Rating / Current
Time = 2200 mAh / 300 mA
Time = 7 1/3 hr

For standby time
Time = Rating / Current
Time = 2200 mAh / 6 mA
Time = 366 2/3 hr

Or if you wanted to, taken

2200 - 1800 / 1800 = 22 1/5 % increase in capacity.

Tests

I tried to get this to work as best as possible. I tried to make sure I can keep the tests constant, but again there will be some error.

These were the controls for the experiment

Bluetooth ON
Screen timeout: 1 min
EGPRS: Connected with Chattermail checking for mail every 1 min
Beam receive ON

Regular OEM Battery (1800 mAh):
Start time: 06h06 EDT (100%)
End time: 22h34 EDT (0%)
RUN TIME: 16 hours 38 mins

Extended Battery (2200 mAh):
Start time: 06h48 (100%)
End time: 03h18 (0%)
RUN TIME: 22 hours 41 mins (6 hours 3 mins longer or 36.8%)

Now those numbers truly tell all. The extended battery was able to do exactly what it was supposed to. I made sure to follow the instructions and charge and discharge the battery as indicated

Conclusion

I was really impressed by these results, and more so now, after work when I get home and check my battery power I usually have approx. 80% left with my hi-capacity one, whereas the stock would be at 50 - 60 percent. Those settings are, Beam OFF, BT OFF, Screen 30sec, Chattermail on withe EGPRS and mail being checked every minute.

My overall conclusion of this battery is that it is superior to that of the OEM battery. It took me a lot of courage to suck it up and test it, as I do not like using 3rd party electrical equipment to use on any of my gadgets. However, with Mugen’s reputation, you will not be disappointed with it at all.

I will do my best to get some pics shortly up, I do not own a digital camera, but hopefully that will soon change.

PROS:
Looks exactly the same as the OEM battery
Fit is perfect
Packaging is safe secure and easy to pen with hands
It will give you more power

CONS:
For the price it would have been nice to have had a 50% increase in this hi-capacity battery, although you would have to sacrifice the size

I thank you Lion Ion for this battery and I hope I could meet you to thank you in person.

If there are any questions you would like to know about the battery please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lion Battery Store
Mugen Power (Unifirm)
I LOVE -40c!!

Last edited by hofo_mofo; 06/10/2005 at 12:05 PM.
hofo_mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2005, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've been wondering about that battery. Great review! Thanks!
newyorker545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2005, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker545
I've been wondering about that battery. Great review! Thanks!
thanks man...glad i could help
I LOVE -40c!!
Old 06/10/2005, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome review...I might have to pick one of these babys up and use my OEM battery as my "back-up."

Note: besides heaviness, are there any other markings on the extended battery that differentiate it from the OEM battery? (I'm guessing there's no "Treo" marking on it!)
###
KevMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2005, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

How much extra talk time do you get? I'm real tempted to buy one, much more so than another BT headset

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
100thMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2005, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

2000 mha that is floating around as well? Cheap Japanese model but supposedly the more mha the longer the time?
ovrdrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2005, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
How much extra talk time do you get? I'm real tempted to buy one, much more so than another BT headset
unfortunately nobody loves me and thus with that said I dont get many voice calls...in actuality i am a dataholic and sms-addict
I LOVE -40c!!
Old 06/12/2005, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the review Hofo mofo!

Also fyi, I would recommend NOT buying the factory direct cellular battery. It is a total piece of crap! I bought one and it completely died within 2 weeks and the bastards over at factory direct won't even give me a rma!! Avoid them like the plague!!

Current device: Palm Pre
Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Gaurav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2005, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
Thanks for the review Hofo mofo!

Also fyi, I would recommend NOT buying the factory direct cellular battery. It is a total piece of crap! I bought one and it completely died within 2 weeks and the bastards over at factory direct won't even give me a rma!! Avoid them like the plague!!
you're welcome magic man

who or what is Factory Direct?
I LOVE -40c!!
Old 06/15/2005, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
Introduction

I will do my best to get some pics shortly up, I do not own a digital camera, but hopefully that will soon change.
What about your 650?

btw, Nice review!
samyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2005, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

I ordered mine today. My Treo, is now in your mittens, hofo mofo!!!

No, just kidding. I am very confident that this will be a good thing.

I shall report back with my experiences.

Cheers, Perry.

Last edited by gtwo; 06/16/2005 at 10:37 AM.
gtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2005, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Mine shipped yesterday.
Old 06/20/2005, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the 411, hofo. Your review makes me wanna get that battery now.
TR30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2005, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

SOME POSTS I MADE IN ANOTHER THREAD. I thought they would be relevant here, as well.

Interesting IMPORTANT NOTICE that I just recieved with my new 2200 mAh from Lion Battery:

"When charging the battery for the first time, it is recommended to charge it together with your PDA for 12 hours. This will allow the battery, PDA, and battery ROM to synchronize their status. Charging the battery alone in the charger/cradle or another method could lead to future incompatibility problems. . . ."

So, could this mean, for those of you experiencing battery drain problems due to the 1.12 upgrade(if that was the problem) -- fix the problem by charging your Treo for 12 hours? If it's a situation for the 2200, it might fix the problem for the 1800 original issue battery drain? (Giving them enough time to "re-synchronize" their status?)

Just a thought.

(I am going to go into withdrawal, giving up my sidekick for 12 hours!!!!!!!)
(OK, 6 hours -- given I sleep for 6.)

Cheers, Perry.
Old 06/21/2005, 07:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

The 2200 mAh package also said that maximum power would be achieved after 3 to 5 complete charge and drain cycles. (This seems contrary to the "keep it topped off philosophy" I have seen else where.)

Maybe both are true. Get to maximum power, then keep it topped off.

Cheers, Perry.
Old 06/21/2005, 07:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwo
The 2200 mAh package also said that maximum power would be achieved after 3 to 5 complete charge and drain cycles. (This seems contrary to the "keep it topped off philosophy" I have seen else where.)

BY tmt:
A new Lithium Ion battery should be cycled fully several times to initialize its chemistry. After that, the cells should be pretty much trouble free.
Old 06/21/2005, 08:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

hey perry sorry i havent emailed you yet...me lazy and well lazy LOL

but yeah the charging of 3 to 5 times is what i did...then afterwards i just charge it all the time. I did find it odd as well...but meh dealt with it. How do you like the look and feel of it?

Kris
I LOVE -40c!!
Old 06/21/2005, 09:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
hey perry sorry i havent emailed you yet...me lazy and well lazy LOL

but yeah the charging of 3 to 5 times is what i did...then afterwards i just charge it all the time. I did find it odd as well...but meh dealt with it. How do you like the look and feel of it?

Kris
No problem Kris! I was set to buy after reading your review anyway. It looks and feels EXACTLY like the original 1800 mAh battery, except for it doesn't say Palmone on the label.

I am dropping about 1% per hour at the moment, I will know more after the 3 to 5 full recharge cycles . . . .

5:50pm edit -- it's been out of the cradle 12 hours now, down to 72%, usually when I get home it would be at 50%, so it appears I am getting the increased staying power mentioned in your (hofo mofo's) review. Again, I will know more after the 3-5 full recharge cycles.

Thanks for the review and testing!! It's always nice to have someone jump in the water first!!

Cheers, Perry

Last edited by gtwo; 06/21/2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06/21/2005, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

I got the MUGEN battery too. Although I didn't make a test of the true battery life of this higher capacity MUGEN, I must say, it keeps my Treo going throughout the day even with very heavy use. Thanks, Kris for taking the time to test it.
DocGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2005, 11:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

I want to thank you also Kris. It is reviews like this that influence me to buy decent products and know that I wont be let down. Besides, I'd also rather by a better battary than another BT headset.

And a thank you to Perry for taking the time to add your results/input as well. You both seem very happy with this battery.

(pulling out my VISA)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0