1.    #1  
    If anyone know of a Treo and Apple Computer expert (and preferably experience with upgrading a machine with older versions of Palm software) would you please let me know.

I have spent endless hours installing, re-installing, e-mailing tech support at Missing Sync, and posting on this discussion board.

The problems I'm having are so complex that it will really take a major Treo/Apple expert to solve.

I live in Los Angeles, and would love to just hire someone to come to my office and figure this out.

I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP MY TREO!!! Even though I haven't been able to make it work, I can tell from reading this discussion board that many people have no problems with it, and I h ave been waiting forever for Verizon to offer it. So I'm not willing to give up just because of a corrupt file or some freaky glitch that's holding me up!

Thanks!
    I'm using a Mac and a t650 without any problems whatsoever. What Kind of mac are you running, and what exactly is your problem?

**Edit**I'm also using the Missing Sync software.
    Last edited by tonydrone; 06/09/2005 at 08:41 PM.
    [tony]
  3.    #3  
    The problems I'm having seem to be numerous. When I first got my Verizon 650 last week, during my first attempt to sync, it simply wouldn't transfer all my old Palm m515 user data. At first I got the Verizon store person to help me, but he couldn't solve it. He swapped out my Treo, in case it was defective. Then he got yelled at by his manager for touching a customer's computer. (All they are allowed to do is help with the Treo itself.) Then.... with advice from many helpful people here, I did all the "obvious" things. Now, I'm getting constant messages teling me that my "Transport Monitor" cannot be launched because of a "shared library error." The folks at Missing Sync (which I bought at the suggestion of someone here) told me to remove the Transport Monitor and Palm Background from my Login Items under my User Account in System Preferences. I did that, but they both keep popping up again under my Login Items. Also, the few times that I managed to get a sync completion without an error log, none of my Palm data was transferred -- only my Apple Address Book. I would like to completely un-install all my Palm software, but the new CD that comes with the Treo does not offer an uninstall option. I tried to find every Palm-related file on the computer and delete it, and then re-install, but I'm still having all the problems. At this point, it won't sync at all! With all the different advice I'm getting from everyone, as well as all of the install/uninstall attempts and many, many hard resets on the 650, who knows what the problem is at this point! That's why I'm hoping to find an expert who knows all the ins-and-outs involved with uninstalling and installing, and selecting all the correct options (such as "Enable Palm OS Syncing" in iSync) and everything else involved with taking my old User Data file from my Palm m515 days, and making it work with my new Treo software, and also with Missing Sync (assuming it's true that Missing Sync is a good idea). I hope that sums up my problem adequately. --Jim
    well, there are two different ways of getting files on your treo with Missing sync.
    1 is obviously the "sync" method. 2 would be to mount your SD card as a harddrive, and drag and drop the files. Once they're on your card, you would then copy them over to your palm, if need be.

Assuming you have tried this already, you might have to Flash your firmware....
    and I'm not sure the VZW version has an update. You also might want to get in touch with shadowmite

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMoll
    The problems I'm having seem to be numerous. When I first got my Verizon 650 last week, during my first attempt to sync, it simply wouldn't transfer all my old Palm m515 user data. At first I got the Verizon store person to help me, but he couldn't solve it. He swapped out my Treo, in case it was defective. Then he got yelled at by his manager for touching a customer's computer. (All they are allowed to do is help with the Treo itself.) Then.... with advice from many helpful people here, I did all the "obvious" things. Now, I'm getting constant messages teling me that my "Transport Monitor" cannot be launched because of a "shared library error." The folks at Missing Sync (which I bought at the suggestion of someone here) told me to remove the Transport Monitor and Palm Background from my Login Items under my User Account in System Preferences. I did that, but they both keep popping up again under my Login Items. Also, the few times that I managed to get a sync completion without an error log, none of my Palm data was transferred -- only my Apple Address Book. I would like to completely un-install all my Palm software, but the new CD that comes with the Treo does not offer an uninstall option. I tried to find every Palm-related file on the computer and delete it, and then re-install, but I'm still having all the problems. At this point, it won't sync at all! With all the different advice I'm getting from everyone, as well as all of the install/uninstall attempts and many, many hard resets on the 650, who knows what the problem is at this point! That's why I'm hoping to find an expert who knows all the ins-and-outs involved with uninstalling and installing, and selecting all the correct options (such as "Enable Palm OS Syncing" in iSync) and everything else involved with taking my old User Data file from my Palm m515 days, and making it work with my new Treo software, and also with Missing Sync (assuming it's true that Missing Sync is a good idea). I hope that sums up my problem adequately. --Jim
    [tony]
    No need to deal with the firmware.
    Go to PalmOne and do a search of their knowledge database for mac hotsync. Transport monitor errors and a few others will be listed.
    Which version of OS are you using?
    Do a repair permissions (using Disk Utility) and delete hotsync prefs.
    Make sure your user name is identical (upper/lower case matter)
    Check you conduit settings. If you don't have anything setup on your treo set it so Mac overwrites Treo.
    Enable only the conduits that came with your new system (you can enable more after you get it working)
    Don't mess with iSync and your old apps for now.
    Just try to keep a simple sync where you copy over your Mac Palm addresses/calendar.
  6.    #6  
    How can I ignore iSync? Doesn't it just take over automatically, and refuse to be ignored? If there's a way to have a Treo on a Mac WITHOUT using iSync, I'm all for it.

I'm running the latest Mac operating system. 10.4.1 "Tiger"

I guess I'll keep playing with it, and do what Scotttreo suggests. I'm not a quitter -- on anything. But man.... this is demoralizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    No need to deal with the firmware......
    Do a repair permissions (using Disk Utility)......
    Just try to keep a simple sync where you copy over your Mac Palm addresses/calendar.
    I can vouch for the permission repair issue. I was having trouble with sync on both a G5 tower and a G4 laptop, using 10.4.1 and 10.3.9 respectively. There is also the possibility of a corrupted Palm database for your old Palm.

I had to export out of my old Tungsten E and reimport into a new user account.

Now have have both PalmDesktop and iSync/iCal working.
    huh. I'm a nearly new Mac user and had no trouble setting up my 600 on Panther, nor transitioning to my 650 on Tiger.

But as scottreo mentions, disabling all of the conduits and gradually re-enabling them is how I transitioned. You can definitely ignore isync to start - records should be stored in your Palm Desktop. The isync conduit is what pulls the information from the Palm Desktop DBs anyways, so get those working first, then onward to full synchronization!

Hm. I'm not really adding anything. Gah.
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    If you installed and used Missing Sync, then re-used Palm Desktop, you'll muck up both. Missing Sync installs over Palm Desktop, actually disabling it. Uninstalling is easy, of course, just drag Palm Dtop to the trash.

Then remember that your conduits and your applications are separate entities: just because you have iSync and Missing Sync does not necessarily mean you have their respective conduits installed and running (for example I had to download the iSync Conduit from Apple when I was setting up my 650 after upgrading from my 180).

If you are like me, you've got your important PIM data in Apple Address Book and iCal; you have The Mising Sync (which has its own note pad and other cool stuff), so you have no need for Palm Desktop at all. Trash it, check your conduits are in the right place (iSync, TMS, others you may use like Docs to Go, Acrobat Reader, etc..) and let her rip! Initiaing a sync (from the Treo, not the Mac) will run everything (all your conduits) beginning with Missing Sync, so you do not need to hit an iSync button or anything else in the process.

I'm sure much of this you know already, and if I were in LaLa Land I'd be happy to help you out, probably needs to be seen to be sorted out. I know it took some messing about and fixing some stupid mistakes on my part to get my set up running, but it is lovely now (T650, TiBook 550, Panther, BT sync.)
    -mbd26
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26

If you are like me, you've got your important PIM data in Apple Address Book and iCal; you have The Mising Sync (which has its own note pad and other cool stuff), so you have no need for Palm Desktop at all. Trash it, check your conduits are in the right place (iSync, TMS, others you may use like Docs to Go, Acrobat Reader, etc..) and let her rip! Initiaing a sync (from the Treo, not the Mac) will run everything (all your conduits) beginning with Missing Sync, so you do not need to hit an iSync button or anything else in the process...........
    Sync yes, back-up and restore NO. You will still have to use something like Back-UpMan to do backups of installed databases etc. Where Palm has publicly stated that they will no longer develop for the Mac Platform (ie: PalmDesktop) you will have to use more than one piece of software to do complete sync in OSX. While it's kind of a hassle not doing everything at once, it makes more sense as I am not always near my Mac if something goes on the fritz on the Treo. Luckily I have not had any problems continuing to use PalmDeskTop