1.    #1  
    Just bought a 2gb SD card made by ATP. Can format it on the Treo 650, and it works fine on the Treo. BUT, when I put it into the card reader on my PC (to load it up with 2gb of MP3s, DVDs and other good stuff, natch) the darn thing says that the card is not formatted.

If I try to format it (on the PC), it doesn't give me an option to format in FAT16, but only FAT32. The PC dialog box also shows that the card is 3.83gb in size, not 2.0gb. If I try to format with the options of FAT32 and capacity of 3.83gb, the format stops and I get an error message that Windows cannot complete the format (BTW I'm using Windows XP Home edition).

Any thoughts or previous experiences? Thanks.
    Not a clue. Every SD card I have ever had (they all have been SanDisk brand) I have formated with my PDA and now Treo 650. My SanDisk 8n1 reader has never had a problem with them.

Did your package have a number for ATP or a Web site? Hopefully someone else here in the forum has been down this path before and can give you some direction.

Love my 2GB Card!! (Only have 600mb left.)

Cheers, Perry
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...141#post703141

It appears from browsing this thread that FAT16 is the suggested option that works. You may want to PM one of the people in that thread -- and find out why (or how) their PC gives them the FAT16 format option.

(PM = Private message. Click on their name in the post and you will get a menu where you can select the PM option window.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/09/2005 at 08:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...141#post703141

It appears from browsing this thread that FAT16 is the suggested option that works. You may want to PM one of the people in that thread -- and find out why (or how) their PC gives them the FAT16 format option.

(PM = Private message. Click on their name in the post and you will get a menu where you can select the PM option window.)
    Hi Dash,

It sounds like its actually just an older reader controller that you're using, as we've found that some of the older readers can't read higher than 1GB. Email me at jwh@us.atpinc.com and I'll hook you up with a reader at a heavy discount.

BRs,
    Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
  5.    #5  
    I'll take you up on it
    Dash, I haven't gotten an email from you yet. Has your issue been resolved?

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
    I'm having the exact same problem with my new Sandisk Ultra 2GB. The card is fine in 650. But my the reader from my laptop can not read the card. But I don't think it's the reader problem as mine is fairly new. The other older reader that I've purchased a few years ago can read the card fine.

Somebody help!!!
    there are many built in readers out there that are having problems reading any cards over 512MB. What kind of laptop do you have?

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
    I just sent back my 2GB Sandisk Ultra II card today for that same reason. My computer is just a couple of months old and has a built in card reader(Sony Vaio).

I am going to try and format the card in the computer before I put it in the Treo to see if that makes any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhsieh
    there are many built in readers out there that are having problems reading any cards over 512MB. What kind of laptop do you have?

-Jeff
    I have HP Pavillion ZD7000 with 5-1 multimedia reader. It is capable of reading SD and MS Pro. I had no problem with Sandisk regular 1GB and Lexar 1GB, but only with Sandisk SD Ultra. Funny thing is a standalone el-cheapo reader ($10) I got from Dazzle works like a charm with Ultra if I connect it to the USB port, which I've purchased a few years ago. My laptop is barely over a year old.

I've waited over 6 months to get the card, and what a disappointment. I've downleaded the latest driver for the reader, but still doesn't fix the problem. I've sent an inquiry to HP support. If it doesn't solve the problem, the card is going back to Buy.com as a defective unit.
    Wow, I'm amazed at the problems you guys are having! I just bought a new Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SD card, and had no problem copying and pasting apps/files from my old Sandisk 1GB SD card to my new 2GB card using my 3 year old Hewlett Packard desktop computer with built in SD card reader. No formatting needed, no FAT16/32 issues, nothing. I swear it was a simple case of copy and paste using folders on the computer Desktop. I must have lucked out as everything worked perfectly the first time around.
    The following is what I've received from Hp Total Care:

"Thank you for writing back to us.

I appreciate your efforts to troubleshoot the issue. However, as the
    issue persists, I would like to inform that I would like to inform that
    your notebook does not has the capability to support 2GB SD card as HP
    Notebooks will support only maximum of 256MB to 1GB cards."

Beaware for those buying 2gb SD. Mine will be going back to Buy.com.
    Well, I just received my replacement card from CDW and it does the same exact thing. I wanted to try one more thing before I shipped this one back. Someone had mentioned that there was a limit on how large a card would be supported as stated by bestoverall, and I found that to be true on my computer also. The only way to use the sd card in any useful way would be to use a USB 2.0 SD card adapter. That way you would be able to open the card and view and save files at a fast pace. It worked. A minor inconvience for the usefulness of the card.
    Well, I just received my replacement card from CDW and it does the same exact thing. I wanted to try one more thing before I shipped this one back. Someone had mentioned that there was a limit on how large a card would be supported as stated by bestoverall, and I found that to be true on my computer also. The only way to use the sd card in any useful way would be to use a USB 2.0 SD card adapter. That way you would be able to open the card and view and save files at a fast pace. It worked. A minor inconvience for the usefulness of the card.