1.    #1  
    Hello all.

Does anyone know of any plans, from PalmOne, to release a new 650 w/ no camera?

I never wanted a camera in my phone, but the 650 was cool enough to offset my distaste for such a thing. Now, less then a week into a new job, I learn that I must leave my phone in my car because of the damned camera.

The Treo is great -- it does everything, all in one package! That is exactly my problem -- I have to leave *everything* in my car, simply because of a little lens on the back of the phone.

If PalmOne has no plans to release a sans-camera version I'm afraid I'll have to part ways with my Treo. Something I am not in the least bit eager to do, especially since I'll end up going with a MobilePC... no matter how hard I try to escape, Microsoft keeps pulling me back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie
    Hello all.

Does anyone know of any plans, from PalmOne, to release a new 650 w/ no camera?

I never wanted a camera in my phone, but the 650 was cool enough to offset my distaste for such a thing. Now, less then a week into a new job, I learn that I must leave my phone in my car because of the damned camera.

The Treo is great -- it does everything, all in one package! That is exactly my problem -- I have to leave *everything* in my car, simply because of a little lens on the back of the phone.

If PalmOne has no plans to release a sans-camera version I'm afraid I'll have to part ways with my Treo. Something I am not in the least bit eager to do, especially since I'll end up going with a MobilePC... no matter how hard I try to escape, Microsoft keeps pulling me back in.
    Hoagie:

Before you get rid of your Treo 650 check out this app and dowload the manual.
    Show it to security at your work and see if they will accept mCamLoc. I now use
    it to get into the federal courts where cameras are not allowed. You simply disable the camera for any period (say for 10 hours) and you cannot use the camera. So far,
    the U.S. Marshal's office is allowing me to bring in my Treo 650 now that they can see I cannot take a picture. Here's the link:

http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?mcampe

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Sprint does have a cameraless 650. I believe you have to contact their business sales division to get it. I don't believe any other carriers do have it. There are also a few threads here about how to physically remove the camera from your 650.

HTH,
    Brett
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info TreoDave and BrettS.

I asked about the locking program, but no dice. I'm thrilled that Sprint has a non-camera version of the phone, since that is my current carrier.

I will be picking one of those Sprint camera-less Treos up -- bummer I can't turn in my old phone for a rebate though (guess I'll hit eBay when I get the new device).

Thanks again for the info!
    My Treo 650 w/ Sprint is actually Cameraless, No Camera, So Clean -n- Cozy, I love it!
    Keep the camera. Lose the job! DOWN WIT' DA MAN!!!!
    I know, I know. Not bloody likely.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    There's also this thread which details how to physically remove the camera module from your 650. Of course, this technically voids your warranty, so I guess you're still in a dilemma.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Ya beat me to the reference jetkins!!!
    ...you can ebay for probably $400-450 and then buy the camera less version and avoid the whole warranty issue.
    Last edited by t2gungho; 06/09/2005 at 11:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    got any pictures of the no camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Ya beat me to the reference jetkins!!!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro