1.    #1  
    This thing is terrible.

I have been wanting one for months just waiting for my plan renewal to come up with cingular so that I didnt' have to pay a fortune for it. Finally went to get one today.. one store 30minute wait while employees just made personal calls and goofed off finally someone helps me only to tell me after 5 minutes of taking my phone number that they do nto have them in stock.

go to another location they have one get it all is fine.. works right away. Most of my numbers did not transfer with my SIM card from my old phone so I wanted to sync it and put it them in through the computer since the keyboard is easier to use. I follow the procedure to a T of what I had to do when first syncing it..

NOW THE DAMN PHONE WILL NOT WORK.. the palm turns on fine I can do plenty of things related to that part of it.. as soon as I turn the phone on it locks up.. Either with the first number I press it just freezes or it just wont' even connect just keeps resetting itself.

If anyone has any idea that would be a great help. I got this because I need a phone and Palm yet cant' fit both in my pocket, with my job I can't wear one on me or carry things with me.. and if I do carry them I never remember to take them so they are useless.. This is the perfect answer to my problems so I really do nto want to give it up after only a few minutes.. But this is not a good start.
    I would call Cingular customer service and see if they can help. If all else fails, take it back to the store. Maybe you just got a bum device. Don't give up yet.
    This problem wouldnt be related to the 'loose' sim card issue would it?
  4.    #4  
    I am on hold with them now... waiting to have them transfer me to their treo support.

It was working perfectly fine until I installed the sync software and it did its reset at the end of the install session. Now for the last 30 minutes it will reboot and work fine until I turn the phone portion of it on... then it just locksup or goes into a repeated reboost cycle....

Also I was deleting a few of the stupid customer service numbers from cingular inthere.. it like blinked in the middle of it and now I can't edit any of the numbers in the contacts list.
  5.    #5  
    Told me how to get the code out of it.. got the "oh god thats not good".. please bring it back to the store and get a new unit.. So off to the store.. hopefully this works out fine.

I'll let you know how it goes..

Site looks like it will be very useful in the future and I am grateful for the quick responses so far.
    Yeah I would say just get a new one and hang in there. If you have been carrying two devices for a while, you can appreciate how much a *working* 650 will be in simplifying your life.
    ouch that sucks
    You really should do fresh installs of your programs instead of using an old user profile. It is more work, but it will be worth it.
    A new unit..that will help
    Fresh installs, absolutely!!!

If you had a Palm folder already, some of the apps in there will NOT be compatible with the 650. Rename your Palm folder, do a hard reset of your Treo, reinstall the Palm software, then load the apps one by one to make sure they work.

It is worth the effort and time.
  11. agi
    Also, make sure you have AXALTO SIM card. I saw a guy who was buying Treo, put the SIM card in and endless resets. Changed the SIM, worked like a charm.

Worth the try.
    Heh, my Alto sim hasn't given me any problems.
  13.    #13  
    It is all sorted out.. The card I had from everything I read should have worked fine but it didnt' work in another unit either when I went back. This time it failed instantly instead of waiting a few hours so we caught it in the store. Just to be safe they gave me a new unit and new card. I have not tried to sync it yet so hopefully nothign will go wrong then but I played with it for a few hours last night watching TV and had no problems. Still trying to learn it.

I had no palm before just a phone and a regular paper planner. The problem was I can't carry the paper one with me so I forget it all the time (I have ADD) Trying to run my own business and keep track of stuff was impossible. Its an automotive business so I am not at a desk.. Anything I use has to stay on me, but at the same time has to be in apocket not on attached to me, so this is only slightly larger then my old phone and will double as my planner. Should hopefully help out alot.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am going to be keeping it simple so I shouldn't have any problems with apps messing it up in the future.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw
    It is all sorted out.. The card I had from everything I read should have worked fine but it didnt' work in another unit either when I went back. This time it failed instantly instead of waiting a few hours so we caught it in the store. Just to be safe they gave me a new unit and new card.
    At the begining of this thread I thought it might be the sim.
    I had no palm before just a phone and a regular paper planner.
    Wow! Paper planner, what is that?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Wow! Paper planner, what is that?
    Its worse then that.. Since that wouldn't stay on me for quick notes I kept one of those like 2X3 top flip spiral notebooks.

I may still actually use that as often my hands are dirty and I dont' know if I want to be typing stuff out on this with grease on my hands.

I freak if my phone is not on me so this is sort of my way of insuring that what my schedule is on is also with me.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Given your profession, I recommend looking at one of the "skin" type covers and a screen protector. A good place to start looking at the available models is the Treo Central Store.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I have the S650 rubber skin and its awsome. I always had trouble will the phone falling out of my shirt pocket. No more! The rubber skin makes it feel like its glued in there.

The rubber skin comes on and off pretty easily, and washes up in warm soapy water very well.
    It is all sorted out.. I am going to be keeping it simple so I shouldn't have any problems with apps messing it up in the future.
    Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy that you decided to stick with it!