Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone recommend high-end (possibly noise cancelling) ear bud stereo earphones with a 2.5 inch plug? I'm tired of the cheap ones that crap out after a few months.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I'm sure you have your reasons, but it seems like it would be much easier (and better from a performance standpoint) if you just bought buds with a regular plug and then used an adapter. Of course this desn't always work best for talking on the phone...

Possibly interesting note: I was surprised when listening to TCPMP with earbuds with a 2.5 adapter. When I got a call, I was able to answer it and hear the caller in the headphones. Not only that but with my phone sitting in the car door the caller said they could hear me fine. Not saying it's a replacement for a real headset, but I thought it cool the 650 mic would still pick up my voice from that far away.
    I'm using mine with an adapter and I hate it. The adapter sticks too far out of the socket and doesn't align well with the 650 (note the curved bottom where the plug is supposed to go). Since it's never really snug it's constantly trying to fall out with the slightest movement (like when I put it in my pocket) and as a result it makes obnoxious noises in my ears when I walk/move etc...

I too would like a native 2.5 headset. Why isn't there a "decent" one??? Do I have to splice some wires together myself (which I think would be a better alternative than the adapter)??? Actually, why isn't this a "normal" sized plug? Did Pa1m save .0001 cents in the manufacturing costs using this POS instead??? Hrrrrrm, can I hack my Palm without voiding the warranty?

Anyone have a solution???
    it's not a normal size plug because it is first and foremost a phone headset jack. You won't find many phone headsets with an 1/8 inch jack
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I'm very happy with the Seido headphones. There's one version with a retractable cord.
    Check out the Shure E3c and E4c phones (www.shure.com).
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Check out the Shure E3c and E4c phones (www.shure.com).
    Ditto. I have a pair of E5c. Costly, but the series has one of the best sonic qualities to date.

Dreadone
    You can also try www.etymotic.com. However, I find the Shures far superior.

Dreadone
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadone
    You can also try www.etymotic.com. However, I find the Shures far superior.

Dreadone
    Funny, I found the opposite. Etymotic.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry-man22
    I'm sure you have your reasons, but it seems like it would be much easier (and better from a performance standpoint) if you just bought buds with a regular plug and then used an adapter. Of course this desn't always work best for talking on the phone...
    You're right. I would have far more choices by using an adaptor. It just bugs me to do so especially if I'm paying a lot for the earphones.

Possibly interesting note: I was surprised when listening to TCPMP with earbuds with a 2.5 adapter. When I got a call, I was able to answer it and hear the caller in the headphones. Not only that but with my phone sitting in the car door the caller said they could hear me fine. Not saying it's a replacement for a real headset, but I thought it cool the 650 mic would still pick up my voice from that far away.
    I have the same experience with my 600. I just talk at the phone and the other end hears me and I hear them perfectly through the earphones.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    If we had a 3.5 jack this would all be null and void, and just force the people who are still using a corded headset on a bluetooth phone(why I don't know) to use a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    I'm very happy with the Seido headphones. There's one version with a retractable cord.
    Seido has a 2-in-1 adapter which is retractable , and you supply the whichever headphones or buds you want:

http://store.treocentral.com/content...73-75--158.htm

I have one, use it daily, and it works great. Phillips has some inexpensive noise cancelling buds, though I don't know what they're like. Everyone raves about the Bose, but they're too rich for my blood (and my ears are old and worn out anyway)

Cheers,
    Micael
    the problem i have with the plug adapter sold here and elsewhere is that i think it may put strain on the plug if you use it while running or moving around, since it only has one degree of freedom (rotation). now i read here that it doesn't fit in well, either.

I've considered the seido adapter, but that just seems to have too much stuff hanging on the cord...the earphones I want to use are sony noise cancellation ones, which already have a small battery/mute box on the cord, so it would be very clumsy to have all that hanging there. Plus, the sony already has a really long cord.

What I'd like (besides a 3.5mm jack built in) is something like this:
    http://www.expansys.ca/i/l/l104589.jpg

This would allow more degrees of freedom to flex with movement and not strain the connector. This picture is of a item listed as a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for Garmin Rino 2-way radios, so I am not certain whether it will work in this application or not. Anybody know?
    Last edited by collin; 06/09/2005 at 08:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by collin
    This picture is of a item listed as a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for Garmin Rino 2-way radios, so I am not certain whether it will work in this application or not. Anybody know?
    The cheapo adapter I got from radio shack works pretty well other than just being too long. Looking at the plug on mine and the one in the picture, I say it will work. I think I've seen two different kinds of 2.5mm plugs, one with three black rings and one with two. Mine has two and works just fine, the one in the picture looks to have two. Just my guess...
    I wish the jack were 3.5mm, too.

The adapter I bought is Sony PC-262S.
    It was Y485($4.49) with tax in Tokyo.

See the pics below.
    It still sticks out considerably, but I guess it's acceptable (but only until I damage my Treo, right?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The cheapo adapter I got from radio shack works pretty well other than just being too long. Looking at the plug on mine and the one in the picture, I say it will work. I think I've seen two different kinds of 2.5mm plugs, one with three black rings and one with two. Mine has two and works just fine, the one in the picture looks to have two. Just my guess...
    what does your radio shack adapter look like? (straight plug to plug or with cable in between? is it right angle?)

do you know the radio shack part number? i went to my local store and they didn't have anything appropriate.
  17.    #17  
    The 3.5 to 2.5 adaptors work fine. I have a nice flexible one from Seidio:

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...e=ADA%2D25M35F

But I still think that having to use one on a very expensive headset is like putting tire chains on a Ferrari.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I have 3 of these from Seido.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...e=ADA%2D25M35F

They work awesome and don't have the problems of those big ones that stick out of the 2.5" jack. I use this adapter with my Etymotic 6i's and they are great for jogging, hiking, etc. The fit is perfect and very low key. I also have the Shure E3c and while they should good, the fit it too bulky and they don't stay fit enough for exercising (for me anyways).
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    hrm, being able to make and take calls without removing or swapping cords was a requirement for me.
    what about these....they look kewl....

http://www.sonorix.com/eng/product/product_obh0110.php
    Last edited by ekuzco; 06/10/2005 at 12:41 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast