Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kevroc
    I have 3 of these from Seido.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...e=ADA%2D25M35F

They work awesome and don't have the problems of those big ones that stick out of the 2.5" jack. I use this adapter with my Etymotic 6i's and they are great for jogging, hiking, etc. The fit is perfect and very low key. I also have the Shure E3c and while they should good, the fit it too bulky and they don't stay fit enough for exercising (for me anyways).
    Okay, so what do you do with your Treo while you are jogging? Do you just hold it in your hand?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuzco
    what about these....they look kewl....

http://www.sonorix.com/eng/product/product_obh0110.php
    They do look cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry-man22
    Possibly interesting note: I was surprised when listening to TCPMP with earbuds with a 2.5 adapter. When I got a call, I was able to answer it and hear the caller in the headphones. Not only that but with my phone sitting in the car door the caller said they could hear me fine. Not saying it's a replacement for a real headset, but I thought it cool the 650 mic would still pick up my voice from that far away.
    Not to go too off track here, but were the headphones acting like a microphone? I've seen that happen in my computer where I had headphones plugged into the mic jack and they acted like a microphone. I thought that once something was plugged into the 2.5mm jack the external mic turned off.

Oh, as for adapters, I'm using http://store.treocentral.com/content.../12-45--13.htm
    Hey folks, I was also looking for a pair of high quality headphones with handsfree feature but to no avail. I ended up making my own by buying the Pivot stereo handsfree (US$15) and welding the shures 2c by opening up the microphone casing. I wish I got the 4e, but hey I don't get the $$. THe sound quality is actually better than just using the adapter. You may find what I just said very suspicious. But for some reason, the volume is louder and I no longer need to turn it all the way up. This end up giving me a more solid bass. I suspect there is something in the pivot handsfree that boost the volume. But I don't know actually what it is. I am just very satisfied right now.

BTW, the seido adapter is not well made and don't recommend it. It cost $30+ and the thin retractable wire broke in 3 months. Not worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yatbond; 06/11/2005 at 09:53 AM.
    I have researched headphones quite extensively. Two words: Ultimate Ears - http://www.ultimateears.com. These are custom molded, dual driver, in-ear monitors. I have a pair of 5C's and listening to music is more like being at a concert.
    Quote Originally Posted by collin
    what does your radio shack adapter look like? (straight plug to plug or with cable in between? is it right angle?)

do you know the radio shack part number? i went to my local store and they didn't have anything appropriate.
    Definitely go with the Seidio adapter. The Radio Shack one is cheapest but because it's straight it simply sticks out too far for my taste (the guy at my shop said they don't have any L-shaped 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters at any Radio Shack). I don't remember the part number of this straight one I have, it's not printed on the plug, couldn't find it online, and you don't want it anyway because I was actually embarrassed to use it!

I then bought a PalmOne L-shaped adapter which was much better, but still a bit bulky and has limited range of motion, as you mentioned earlier.

So just this past week I finally wised up and spent a couple bucks more to get the simple Seidio adapter, which I should have done in the first place. It arrived yesterday and is by far the most convenient simple adapter to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shure or ultimateears??
    Suggestions please...........
    I am leaning towards ultimateears as almost 90% of the artists are using ultimateears.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevroc
    I have 3 of these from Seido.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...e=ADA%2D25M35F

They work awesome and don't have the problems of those big ones that stick out of the 2.5" jack. I use this adapter with my Etymotic 6i's and they are great for jogging, hiking, etc. The fit is perfect and very low key. I also have the Shure E3c and while they should good, the fit it too bulky and they don't stay fit enough for exercising (for me anyways).
    hey, that looks exactly like what i'm looking for. price is right, too at $5.95 but the shipping cost is way high at $7.11 minimum.

anybody have any coupons for the seido site, or know of another site selling it for less or have cheaper shipping?

wish treo central carried this one in addtion to their right angle one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Shure or ultimateears??
    Suggestions please...........
    I am leaning towards ultimateears as almost 90% of the artists are using ultimateears.
    Which Sure's are you looking at, the E5c? IMHO, the Ultimateears are overkill for MP3 files.
    i have the following

MDR-EX71SL Black/Blue
    MDR-EX51(LP i think) Black/Blue
    MDR-EX81SL (imported from japan...great price and no duties) Black/Blue
    MDR-NX1 Black Hopefully soon...its out in Canada and the US, but very expensive in Canada when compared to the US

The guy who i bought my EX81SL from
    Canadian Link: http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQf...sunnylifeQ5fjp
    US Link: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ50Q...sunnylifeQ5fjp
    Quote Originally Posted by wifigenius
    I have researched headphones quite extensively. Two words: Ultimate Ears - http://www.ultimateears.com. These are custom molded, dual driver, in-ear monitors. I have a pair of 5C's and listening to music is more like being at a concert.

Do they print money? For that price, they'd better print money.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wifigenius
    They are expensive... but they've got the best chance of being really cool for the Treo. They have replacable cords, so all Ultimate Ears needs to do is make a replacement cord with the mini-jack, and you've got a nice single unit solution.

OK, it would still cost $200, but it would be cool!
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Which Sure's are you looking at, the E5c? IMHO, the Ultimateears are overkill for MP3 files.
    I was thinking about E4 's. I read quite a few reviews . It seems that sensaphonics Prx2 ($900) is the way to go if you can afford it .
    Westone UM 2 's have received great reviews and supposedly for the price ( 325 USD) eBAY 275 , are rated better than E5c's and etymotic E6i.
    More you get into details of these headphones, the more confused you get . I am going for UM2 's.
    Comments please and your experiences with any of the above headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco John
    Do they print money? For that price, they'd better print money.
    If you read the title of the thread , we are talking about high end headphones. If you have some time , would advise you to read forums at headfi.org , which will certainly help you in understanding why they are priced the way they are and what exactly is the difference?
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    IMO, any super-high-end headphones are going to be a waste when used on a Treo.

The original poster asked about the possibility of active noise-cancelling headphones - The only ones I've seen in earbud form are the Philips HN060 earbuds. They get very mixed reviews, some people say they're excellent, some hate them. The reviews were just as mixed for my new Philips HN100 circumaural NCs, and I can say this without a doubt - In the sort of environments they were designed for, the HN100s ROCK.

Note that in quiet environments or ones where the noise is higher-pitched (such as office chatter, voices, etc.), headphones with good isolation (such as big circumaurals or the high-end earbuds) will work better than ANC. In environments with lots of low-pitched noise (Airplanes, automotive road noise, sitting on a riding lawnmower), ANC is the only way to go. In such environments, any ANC headphone will eat a non-ANC headphone for lunch, no matter how expensive the non-ANC unit is. The highest-end Etymotics or Shures will be useless when sitting 20 feet from a turbofan engine, or 2 feet from a barely muffled 11HP one-cylinder lawnmower engine. Even the cheapest ANCs will make a huge difference in such environments.

At the price they're available for these days, you can't go wrong with a pair of ANC headphones. Philips HN100s go for $15 on eBay these days, and the HN060s can be bought for $30 at Target now. Get a pair for airplanes/trains/passenger seats of cars/lawnmowers, and then buy your choice of "quiet environment" headphones too. Note: I haven't tried the 060 earbuds yet but want to, I have the circumaural 100s and love them.

As to what's available in 2.5mm native - Pretty much nothing. The market for 2.5mm stereo headphones is currently too small, as it only consists of dual-function phone/music player units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    Note that in quiet environments or ones where the noise is higher-pitched (such as office chatter, voices, etc.), headphones with good isolation (such as big circumaurals or the high-end earbuds) will work better than ANC. In environments with lots of low-pitched noise (Airplanes, automotive road noise, sitting on a riding lawnmower), ANC is the only way to go. In such environments, any ANC headphone will eat a non-ANC headphone for lunch, no matter how expensive the non-ANC unit is. The highest-end Etymotics or Shures will be useless when sitting 20 feet from a turbofan engine, or 2 feet from a barely muffled 11HP one-cylinder lawnmower engine. Even the cheapest ANCs will make a huge difference in such environments.
    Not true. Non-ANC earbuds work very well on airplanes. 30dB+ reduction in background noise is pretty solid. ANC work better in that situation, but my Etymotics are only just short of amazing on flights and absolutely the best available in every other situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by yatbond
    Hey folks, I was also looking for a pair of high quality headphones with handsfree feature but to no avail. I ended up making my own by buying the Pivot stereo handsfree (US$15) and welding the shures 2c by opening up the microphone casing. I wish I got the 4e, but hey I don't get the $$. THe sound quality is actually better than just using the adapter. You may find what I just said very suspicious. But for some reason, the volume is louder and I no longer need to turn it all the way up. This end up giving me a more solid bass. I suspect there is something in the pivot handsfree that boost the volume. But I don't know actually what it is. I am just very satisfied right now.

BTW, the seido adapter is not well made and don't recommend it. It cost $30+ and the thin retractable wire broke in 3 months. Not worth it.
    Seidio will release the high end retractable 2 in1 headset very soon. This high end headset allows you to listen to your music with very good sound quality and also allows you to talk on the very same headset.

For most of the hybrid headset, one of the complaints is that the music quality is only fair. Seidio new 2 in1 headset will provide the solution for this. It is a blend of high quality stereo headphone and handsfree headset.

Seidio
    I tried the splicing thing with a headset and some Sony Fontopia in-ear buds (passive noise-reducing, they plug up your ear basically--I use them when cycling because they don't magnify wind noise as much as other ear buds).

It didn't work very well. Each wire inside the headphone cord is made of bundles of *very* thin wires, with with some kind of fiber mixed in. The wires appear to be insulated with some kind of coating, or perhaps with nothing, rather than a plastic insulator that you can strip off the cut ends. I couldn't get it to work at all trying to twist cut ends together. I tried to solder the wire ends together, and even when I succeeded (the tiny wires repel the solder) the sound was significantly degraded, differently for each ear, and it was prone to coming apart.

Quote Originally Posted by TRado
    I'm using mine with an adapter and I hate it. The adapter sticks too far out of the socket and doesn't align well with the 650 (note the curved bottom where the plug is supposed to go). Since it's never really snug it's constantly trying to fall out with the slightest movement (like when I put it in my pocket) and as a result it makes obnoxious noises in my ears when I walk/move etc...

I too would like a native 2.5 headset. Why isn't there a "decent" one??? Do I have to splice some wires together myself (which I think would be a better alternative than the adapter)??? Actually, why isn't this a "normal" sized plug? Did Pa1m save .0001 cents in the manufacturing costs using this POS instead??? Hrrrrrm, can I hack my Palm without voiding the warranty?

Anyone have a solution???
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  20. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I upgraded to Shure E3Cs a while back to replace the Apple earbuds I was using for my iPod and Treo. What a huge difference it makes. They sound sooo much better. They come with a bunch of sleeves to get them to fit right which is crucial. The darn Apple ones were always falling out.

Anyway I highly recomend the investment in a good pair of earbuds be they Shure, Ultimate Ear or Etymotics.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast