Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to use the 650 to view webcams? For example I have a simple webcam set up that allows you to view my cam through a browser using Windows media player, ActiveX or Java. This works fine from my desktop or laptop but I can't seem to make it work with my 650. I've tried the Blazer browser as well as the demo version of WebViewer (I do have the IBM JVM installed) and niether works. Using Blazer I can't even bring up the URL, I get a vague URL error message. With WebViewer I get to the screen to select Mediaplayer, ActiveX or Java and when I select Java I get a screen that displays a static logo for WebCam 123 (the cam server software) but no cam image.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Mitch
  2.    #2  
    I posted this in the Commo forum but it's probably better off here....Is it possible to use the 650 to view webcams? For example I have a simple webcam set up that allows you to view my cam through a browser using Windows media player, ActiveX or Java. This works fine from my desktop or laptop but I can't seem to make it work with my 650. I've tried the Blazer browser as well as the demo version of WebViewer (I do have the IBM JVM installed) and niether works. Using Blazer I can't even bring up the URL, I get a vague URL error message. With WebViewer I get to the screen to select Mediaplayer, ActiveX or Java and when I select Java I get a screen that displays a static logo for WebCam 123 (the cam server software) but no cam image.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Mitch
    You cannot do this. No streaming vid within blazer. Kinoma is to be updated later this summer to support usable streaming video.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/06/treo_video_stre.html
  4.    #4  
    Well thats....that. Thanks
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Blazer doesn't support activex (thank god) or jave applets....live streaming webcams are out of the question....

but if you can have it just take a snapshot and upload a jpg or such to a web server...that would work.
    Check out: http://www.firepad.com/

PalmLover
    There's a bunch of apps that do this... do a search for web cams...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmLover
    Check out: http://www.firepad.com/

PalmLover
    Damn, that's pretty slick. I might pick up FireProducer Desktop just to see what my dog does all day. LOL. I wonder if it will work through my firewall? I'll have to investigate. I don't like how you have to install Firepad Picture Viewer to see the feed. I wish both were bundled somehow for less money than $80. I don't need the extra features in Viewer.

EDIT: It does work through a firewall with port forwarding. Cool.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Palm Video Client with Palm Video Producer looks like a cheaper option. Less than $30 for the combo but I can't confirm that this setup works behind a firewall.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    There's a bunch of apps that do this... do a search for web cams...
    gfunk! Good to see you.

Are you sure? He wants to view webcam feeds...not use the treo as a cam.
  11.    #11  
    I'm trying Firepad but I can't seem to make a connection from the 650 to the Fireproducer Desktop Server. Anyone ever done this succesfully?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    On your firewall you'll need to forward whatever port that firepad uses to whichever machine on your home network is running the producer server.
  13.    #13  
    Did that, didn't seem to matter. It's port 4712 based on the documentation.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I Windows XP Firewall getting in way?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    there's an app called TrafficEdge "with Hundreds of Traffic Camera Images and Traffic Maps Displays Critical Traffic Information Real-time." It uses java on the treo. i haven't had a chance to try it yet, but they are web cams.
  16.    #16  
    Nope, its shut down. The firewall I'm using is set to leave port 4712 open.
  17.    #17  
    Got it! Thanks to aldamon for pointing me in the right direction, I had missed a firewall setting. It does work, the picture is kinda jumpy but I suspect that has to do with my treo to internet connection and my camera. Pretty cool really. Thanks for the help
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    UNYTU, have you tried Palm Video Client with Palm Video Producer? I'd like to know if they work through a firewall as well. The combo is cheaper:

http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...20Technologies
  19.    #19  
    Haven't tried that combination. Gimme a bit and I'll see what it's like
  20.    #20  
    Well I tried the Palmsource video client and producer. The producer seems to set up and work very easily. Just has to sit as the front window on your computer. When I try to start the client and connect to the producer server my 650 immediately soft resets. Doesn't even come close to loading the program and then crashing, just resets. Probably because of the other cam viewer software (firepad) that I loaded earlier but that's just a SWAG. Question is should I unload the Firepad stuff just to see if Video Client works or leave well enough alone.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast