1.    #1  
    Is there a decent outliner/notetaking application for Palm that syncs with OSX? I'm thinking of something like Omni Outliner, but I don't necessarily need something quite that sophisticated. The ability to make nested notes and to have it sync well are the biggest issues.

Kurt
    Sorry, I was about to recommend Natara bonsai http://natara.com/Bonsai/index.cfm But it doesn't have mac sync support...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I have tested a lot of outliners and IMHO the best one is Shadow Plan. Download the Palm and the Mac (desktop) versions from www.codejedi.com. The Palm version works on Treo 650 but the optimized version can be installed only from an .exe installer (strange, at CodeJedi are very careful about Mac support). A version to be installed from Mac will be soon available, I believe. At CodeJedi they say that OmniOutliner is compatible with Shadow Plan via XML but it doesn't work for me. An OO <-> SP conduit would be a dream...
    Best
    Stefano
  4.    #4  
    I looked at Shadow Plan a while ago and it seems that syncing isn't so great. You can't modify files on both the mac and the Palm and have them sync properly. Apparently, you can just copy the working file back and forth, which isn't really syncing.

I suppose this is apple's fault or maybe Palm's fault, but one of the two needs to get on the ball and make a decent syncing tool that actually works.

kurt
    Inspiration is great, it mind-maps/outlines and syncs very nicely with the palm. Brain forest is another Mac compatible Palm outliner application, IMO not as good as Inspiration. LifeBalance outlines and also integrates with your datebook and tasks, it is also excellent.

If you want nested notes, not neccessarily outlines, consider MacNotetaker, it does just that - allows you to write nested notes, and it is free.
    Also take a look at ThoughtManager. It's pretty impressive, but I'm not sure if it syncs with Mac or not.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Also take a look at ThoughtManager. It's pretty impressive, but I'm not sure if it syncs with Mac or not.
    I am sure it does not

Here is a particularly good review of Mac compatible outliners:

http://www.atpm.com/Back/atpo.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zenni
    I have tested a lot of outliners and IMHO the best one is Shadow Plan. Download the Palm and the Mac (desktop) versions from www.codejedi.com. The Palm version works on Treo 650 but the optimized version can be installed only from an .exe installer (strange, at CodeJedi are very careful about Mac support). A version to be installed from Mac will be soon available, I believe. At CodeJedi they say that OmniOutliner is compatible with Shadow Plan via XML but it doesn't work for me. An OO <-> SP conduit would be a dream...
    Best
    Stefano

http://homepage.mac.com/james_sorenson/omnishadow.html

The developer will be returning from overseas in about 2 weeks. At that point, he will continue to work to add more features.
    As you can see, I have tried all of the Mac/Palm compatible outliners, LifeBalance, Shadowplan, Inspiration, Brain Forest, and they work good, but for me, I like to be able to outline on the fly wherever I am and I would like to be able to sync on the fly too without having to worry about whether my home Mac is syncing properly with my work Mac or my lab PC.

That is why I really like Tasks, a web based outliner and to do manager. I use the pro version to coordinate activities in my lab with multiple lab members and collaborators. You can access and work with it easily in your Treo browser, as well as your Mac or PC browser. Actually you can access it from any computer connected to the internet anywhere in the world. You can upload files, in my experience up to 8 mB in size onto it too, and you can export the stuff you put into Tasks into ical todo or calendar. I recommend it highly.

http://www.kingdesign.net/