1.    #1  
    ATP announces 2 GB and 4 GB SD cards

Memory manufacturer ATP has announced plans to release high-speed 2 and 4 GB SD memory cards. Rated at 133x, the new ProMax cards have a theoretical maximum write speed of 18 MB/second, and read speed of 20 MB/second. The 2 GB cards should be available in July, while the 4 GB cards are scheduled for release sometime in the fourth quarter of this year. Either date could slip, though, as production of current 2 GB SD cards has been slow. Sandisk's 2 GB SD cards have been nearly impossible to obtain, and other manufacturers have had similar problems supplying the higher-density cards.

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2536
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    See this is why I love ATP. They make amazing products, and they do it quickly, but thoroughly

I still think though you can get their "regular" 60x 2GB card...which I believe is the max the Treo 650 can hold...n'est pas?
    If the guys at ATP can fit 4gb on an SD card and the Treo is limited to 2gb, could they do a twin 2gb card like Sony's memory select?

This has a switch so you can use half the memory on switch A, and the other half on switch B.

We could then make use of all 4gb on a single card.
    I've read that the real limitation is the filesystem, not the SD interface. FAT16 only supports 2gb, and the LifeDrive is the first palm to support FAT32. The good news is someone hacked the LifeDrive FAT32 driver, it will be interesting to see if this hack works when 4GB SD cards come out.

See:
    http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88022
  5.    #5  
    Wow, I've installed the above and it does work on Treo 650. We won't know until the 4GB card is out but it does improve VFSMark. I was getting a score of 423 before and 460 after with the driver patch. I haven't tried formatting the card to FAT32 yet. Will try that soon.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    you have a hack to upgrade the fat16 to fat32? care 2 share? what issues / benifits have you seen?
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Wow, I've installed the above and it does work on Treo 650. We won't know until the 4GB card is out but it does improve VFSMark. I was getting a score of 423 before and 460 after with the driver patch. I haven't tried formatting the card to FAT32 yet. Will try that soon.

Xemophonite, thanks for reporting that the FAT32 driver patch works on the 650! However, have seen any issues with the bundled apps as found with Clies mentioned over at 1src? Cheers!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    Bad news. I tried to format a SanDisk 256MB card to FAT32 under Windows. The Treo does not recognize it with the FAT32 patch and wants to format the card. The card works after formatted back to FAT16. I may try FAT32 with my primary PQI 1GB card after backing it up. The driver does appear to improve card performance for FAT16 though.
  9.    #9  
    http://dmitrygr.com/file/FAT32.patched.prc

Here is the FAT32 patch. Load onto Treo and soft reset. To remove, just delete from a file manager and reset.
  10.    #10  
    I just tried formatting a 1GB PQI card to FAT32 and the 650 also did not recognize it with the patch. Perhaps SDIO 1.1 compliance is necessary.

The VFSMark was great though with the driver even for FAT16... a score of 658.
    Hmm... I've tried downloading this patch to install it on my 650 - (cingular, 1.21) - it doesn't appear to have any effect on vfsmark scores. A hotsync didn't work, so I downloaded it directly from the link above & allowed palm to install it into "applications."

any suggestions to get this working?
    Just like Palm screwed up and didn't give us BT 1.2, their entire lineup is SDIO 1.0, not the newer 1.1 compatable.

ATP, a Taiwan memory manufacturer, has announced a new ProMax SD card line that will come in capacities of up to 2GB initially, with a 4GB card planned.

The new cards will Conform to the latest SD v1.1 system specification. They are rated at fast 133X transfer rates (up to read 20MB/s and 18MB/s write). Devices will have to use the SD 1.1 standard in order to operate with the 4GB version, which no Palm OS device yet supports.
    Idk what the details of SD 1.1 are, but hopefully it's a firmware upgrade away.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Yeah I'm really looking forward to receiving the 4GB samples over here soon! Our 512MB, 1GB ProMax cards are here in the office already and are getting about 21MB/s according to our benchmarks. Our MMCplus cards though, will be getting about 29.8-30mb/s! Lots of cool stuff coming!

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jhsieh
    Yeah I'm really looking forward to receiving the 4GB samples over here soon! Our 512MB, 1GB ProMax cards are here in the office already and are getting about 21MB/s according to our benchmarks. Our MMCplus cards though, will be getting about 29.8-30mb/s! Lots of cool stuff coming!

-Jeff
    Hey Jeff

Now for the new SD cards, will it have a different pin set like the MMCplus or it would be the same as before

Can't wait for the release of this card
  15.    #15  

-Jeff
    Cool. What's the performance on a Treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    Hey Jeff

Now for the new SD cards, will it have a different pin set like the MMCplus or it would be the same as before

Can't wait for the release of this card

Hi again hofo_mofo!

The new SD cards will actually be the same 9 pin arrangement as the old current SD1.01 cards. They will actually be running the same bus width (x4) but with double the clock speed (from 25mhz to 50mhz), thus double the transfer speed.

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Hmmm so the Treo 650's don't support the 4gb card?
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    assuming that the FAT32 patch from PalmOne will work, then the 4GB card should work just fine.

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
    assuming that the FAT32 patch from PalmOne will work, then the 4GB card should work just fine.

-Jeff
    Jeff: Was this ever resolved? Did a patch allow a 4GB card to work on the T650?
  20.    #20  
    The author of the patch said it's not possible to FAT32 the 650.