Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sprint to offer enhanced Yahoo e-mail for a fee
    By Dawn Kawamoto
    Story last modified Wed Jun 08 10:02:00 PDT 2005

Sprint has teamed up with Yahoo to offer an enhanced e-mail service for mobile devices--for a fee.

The companies said the premium service, which costs $2.99 a month, is faster and easier to access and sports a PC-like interface. An optional instant-messaging feature is available at standard text-messaging rates.

The new service builds on the existing partnership between Yahoo and Sprint, under which PCS Vision customers can send and receive e-mails, files and photos from their mobile phones.

Although Yahoo Mail for Mobile is already a free service, the two companies are hoping to entice customers with the improved features.

"Sprint recognizes the increasing desire of customers to have a more robust messaging experience on their handset," John Styers, director of data communications services at Sprint, said in a statement.

The service initially is available only to customers with Sprint PCS Multimedia MM A700 phones by Samsung, the MM 7400 and 5600 versions by Sanyo and Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device Treo 600 and 650 from PalmOne.

Meanwhile, Yahoo and Google have been battling it out on the cell phone front, as each seeks to grab a larger share of that market. Both now offer search services to cell phone carriers.
    Wow, a monthly fee to get crappy POP3 service! Where do I sign up????

Marc
    lol
    (Sigh.) Too late!

I would have jumped at the chance to do do this...if Yahoo offered it 2 years ago AND with a buy it once for the application. SnapperMail has been working great for me for the past few months, even better when I can get one of those elusive SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD cards!
    This might be something:

"An optional instant-messaging feature is available at standard text-messaging rates."

But it would have to be able to do what the current Messenger program does without crashing for so many people. But, as Marc pointed out, why pay for POP mail when you can get it for free?
    gMail is your friend!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    That is stupid. I would be much more excited if Yahoo offered IMAP servie with their webmail! Now combine that with chattermail and you have something...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The original press release quoted above fails to mention that this is a push email service. I for one am considering it.

-Sketchy
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    The original press release quoted above fails to mention that this is a push email service. I for one am considering it.

-Sketchy
    I think it's "push-like", not really push. Seems it sends a text to your phone...sort of like "you have mail." Someone else may know for sure.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It can't be push; there would have to be a client on the Treo to handle it, right?

Marc
    I believe there is a client that you can download...however, as far as it being push or push-like...from what I've read, it appears as if it sends a text message rather than being true push. Too bad it can't do what BizConn does and have the application intercept the text message and know that it needs to do a wireless sync at that point...

I don't know if this is the case yet or not, but since I use Yahoo! email almost exclusively at this point, I might consider trying it out.

I wonder if it lets you use addressguard email address...that would be a big plus!
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    It can't be push; there would have to be a client on the Treo to handle it, right?

Marc

From a news wire account of the annoucement:
    The hard working John Kuch over at telco apps company Seven pings us to say that Yahoo and Sprint will be branding Seven's push mobile email solution. . . the first blackberry-like service for consumers.

John claims that...

* Yahoo! Mail for Mobile, powered by SEVEN, is the first push (blackberry-like) mobile email service for consumers. [Yes Marc...we know ]
    * With Yahoo! and Microsoft getting into push email this week, mobile email is not just for top execs anymore. Blackberry is no longer the only game in town.
    * Consumers can now access their email using a variety of smartphones and everyday cell phones.
    * Simple start-up. Consumers can sign up from their mobile phones and get up and running by entering their existing Yahoo! username, password into their phone.
    * Cost of the service is $2.99 a month, Blackberry costs $30-$50 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank

Marc
    From the SEVEN PRPRPR:

Redwood City, USA (June 8, 2005) - Today, SEVEN© announced Yahoo! and SEVEN have entered into a licensing relationship in which SEVEN's Consumer Edition mobile e-mail software and related personal communications services power Yahoo! Mail© for Mobile - a new mobile e-mail service that gives consumers enhanced access to their Yahoo! Mail accounts on mass-market mobile phones and smartphones. The service is available today on Sprint's Nationwide PCS network.

Enhanced Yahoo! Mobile E-mail Experience
    This Yahoo! Mail for Mobile application provides consumers with easy message access, composition, management, optional instant notification of new messages, offline access to messages (e.g. on an airplane or out-of-coverage), and access to their Yahoo! Address Book. All activities performed on the mobile phone, such as writing a message or deleting a message, are reflected in the user's Yahoo! Mail account-it is fully synchronized. The service is flexible in that it can push new messages to a subscriber's mobile device as they arrive, delivery can be scheduled per user preferences (e.g. every 15 minutes; every hour or every day), or a user can initiate synchronization as they please.

Simple Sign Up
    This new mobile-phone client makes the initial registration process simple. Consumers can sign up for the service online or from their mobile phones. After downloading the Yahoo! Mail for Mobile client software over the air directly to their phone, consumers get up and running by entering their existing Yahoo! username, password and mobile phone number into their handset, no additional PC software is necessary.

Secure and Private
    Yahoo! Mail for Mobile leverages SEVEN's experience designing enterprise-grade mobile e-mail systems; messages sent over-the-air to devices are protected by 128-bit AES encryption. AES has been specified by NIST (The National Institute for Standards in Technology) as the new standard for encryption, replacing DES and 3DES. AES encryption provides strong security and privacy of messages sent and received by a mobile phone.

Available today from Sprint
    Yahoo! Mail for Mobile by Sprint is available today on several devices: the Sprint PCS Vision Multimedia Phone MM-A700 by Samsung®, the Sprint PCS Vision Multimedia Phone MM-7400 by Sanyo®, the Sprint PCS Vision Multimedia Phone MM-5600 by Sanyo, the Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device Treo™ 600 by palmOne and the Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device Treo 650 by palmOne. The service is available for $2.99 a month and can be purchased directly from the handset; consumers will be charged on their monthly wireless bill.
    Has anyone signed up for this? I just did and the "push" function isn't working. This is the only reason to get this, and if doesn't start working I will probably cancel the service.

-Sketchy
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    Has anyone signed up for this? I just did and the "push" function isn't working. This is the only reason to get this, and if doesn't start working I will probably cancel the service.

-Sketchy
    I have the service for a couple of days and the push works fine for me, I bought some ram today on my pc and after i submitted the order my Treo had the comfirmation email in about 15secs after I submitted the order. As far as the push not working make sure you did a sync, it needs to tell the Yahoo server to turn this feature on. So far I am happy with the service.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jat00
    I have the service for a couple of days and the push works fine for me, I bought some ram today on my pc and after i submitted the order my Treo had the comfirmation email in about 15secs after I submitted the order. As far as the push not working make sure you did a sync, it needs to tell the Yahoo server to turn this feature on. So far I am happy with the service.

Jeff

Since you have had it for a couple days, can you tell us your experience so far. Does it keep a data connection open? Any battery drain, etc...

Thanks,

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff248
    Since you have had it for a couple days, can you tell us your experience so far. Does it keep a data connection open? Any battery drain, etc...

Thanks,

Jeff
    So far I like it, looks like a keeper. As far as keeping the data connection open, the connection is closed by the time I get the alert and open the Yahoo email app. The way I think it works is Yahoo sends a SMS message to your phone, Yahoo Mail then syncs with the server, So the connection should only be open when you have a new email. So battery drain would depend on how many emails you get a day. At work I am plugged in most of the time because I listen to mp3s, and surf with the Treo alot. So after this weekend I should have a good idea of the battery drain. So far today the Treo 600 has been off the carger since 6am, I have used the phone for 10 min of calls 6 email pushes, and 20 min of games and at 1:30p I am at 88%. I do not think using the pushes will be a problem, however if you sync every 15 mins then battery drain would be a problem.

Jeff
    Can you tell us if it is similar to Sprint PCS's Business Connection - Personal Edition, specifically with respect to the total amount of displayable messages on the Treo (i.e. Sprint PCS Business Connection Personal Edition only allows you to display 25, 50, or 75 messages max from your inbox, so if you have 230 messages in your Inbox, you can only see the first 75 max). Does this service allow you to see ALL of your inbox messages? How about other folders? And I don't know if you use AddressGuard, but if you do, does it let you send emails from other addressguard addresses? What is your overall opinion of the client application itself? Is it advanced, with lots of functionality and features, or very simple? And do you happen to know how big it is on the Treo? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions!

- marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman
    Can you tell us if it is similar to Sprint PCS's Business Connection - Personal Edition, specifically with respect to the total amount of displayable messages on the Treo (i.e. Sprint PCS Business Connection Personal Edition only allows you to display 25, 50, or 75 messages max from your inbox, so if you have 230 messages in your Inbox, you can only see the first 75 max). Does this service allow you to see ALL of your inbox messages? How about other folders? And I don't know if you use AddressGuard, but if you do, does it let you send emails from other addressguard addresses? What is your overall opinion of the client application itself? Is it advanced, with lots of functionality and features, or very simple? And do you happen to know how big it is on the Treo? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions!

- marc
    Messages: you have the option to get 25, 50, 75, 150, 200, or 300
    Message size: Header only, 1k, 2k, or, 3k of message a read more button at the bottom of the message will retrieve the rest.
    Size: 1044K
    Attachments: Shows an attachment icon and will view with Doc to Go
    Other folders: no, but you can save a local copy of a message for later.
    AddressGuard: do not use, but saw no option for.
    Client Opinion: The client has all the function I need, but I would not call it advanced. I would like to be able to seach my folders on the Yahoo server and retrieve the messages that match the search. Sometimes the messages take a few minutes to get to the Treo, but other than that is meets my needs. My battery was 77% at the end of the day, with a total of 20mins talking and 10 email pushes and about 30 min of Palm use.

Jeff
    Eh... why can't web based email companies provide IMAP access? I would pay for this feature and would love to push my yahoo mail via chatter this way...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast