1.    #1  
    All of a sudden my hotsync has stopped working and now I get this error "one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it." I tried uninstalling the palm desktop and reinstalled it but I am getting the same error. Any ideas of what I can do about this? Thanks in advance.

I have also tried a new cable as well as trying different USB ports... I get the same results.
    For me this usualy indicates a problem with the cable->treo connection. Make sure all the contacts are claen on both ends of that connection and I bet it will work again.

HTH

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  3.    #3  
    I have tried 3 different cables and so far I have got the same results... If it is the cable I have the worst luck in the world.
    Not the cable but the connection between the cable and the treo. Check the contacts on the bottom of the treo. Clean with rubbing alcohol on a qtip - test again.

-X
    Xathros

5.    #5  
    I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
  6.    #6  
    And it worked! Thanks, appreciate it. (that was simple...)
    No problem. Glad I could help.

-X
    Xathros

Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Not the cable but the connection between the cable and the treo. Check the contacts on the bottom of the treo. Clean with rubbing alcohol on a qtip - test again.

-X
    I also have this occasional problem (and also been experiencing issues where the sync process does not work b/c the hotsync app does not seem to recognize my palm's hotsync appp has started) and will try this solution tonight...does rubbing alcholol damage the metal contacts on the bottom of the Treo? any chance of shorting something out when rubbing the liquid on?

I am curious, if this turns out to be the culprit, since I've only had this treo for about 3 months, how dirty can the contacts get?
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
    The alcohol is non conductive so no worrys about shorts at the connector. The only concer in what prolonged contact would do to the plastic. Since your only using a small amount on a qtip and it evaporates very quickly, I don't see a problem here.

The connector is exposed to the elements and mine needs to be cleaned every few weeks to keep the connections error free. Depending on use and the choice of case I'm sure everyone's mileage will vary on the duration between cleanings.

-X
    Xathros

Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    The alcohol is non conductive so no worrys about shorts at the connector. The only concer in what prolonged contact would do to the plastic. Since your only using a small amount on a qtip and it evaporates very quickly, I don't see a problem here.

The connector is exposed to the elements and mine needs to be cleaned every few weeks to keep the connections error free. Depending on use and the choice of case I'm sure everyone's mileage will vary on the duration between cleanings.

-X
    You are the man. I've been having Hot Sync problems intermittently and they were driving me batty. After reading your post I just wiped the connectors and blew on them and it's Hot Syncing now. What a terrible *** connector, I've NEVER had a problem with my iPod syncing and it's been in just as much, if not more, grime than the Treo.
    Thanks for the post.
    No Problem.

Yeah, I agree and have posted before that this universal connector universally sucks. Whats worse it the connector in the cradle is pointing upward collecting any contaminants it sees.

-X
    Xathros

Actually, I doubt it is accumulated grime. It is more likely corrosion. SIM cards also had a lot of problems and putting paper behind seemed to solve the problem for a lot of people. This would of course put more pressure on the actual contact points and likely scrape away corrosion. My Treo came from a humid location but I live in a very dry climate. It seemed to become much more stable as time went by. Dry air means less corrosion. Alcohol can be quite effective at cleaning corrosion from certain metals. Depending on each user's location they will probably need to clean more or less often.
    Well, I would buy that if the contacts weren't gold plated. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $gold$ $doesn$'$t$ $corrode$ $like$ $other$ $metals$ $do$. $I$ $do$ $agree$ $that$ $the$ $users$ $environment$ $will$ $have$ $an$ $effect$, $just$ $not$ $sure$ $it$'$s$ $the$ $humidity$ $thats$ $to$ $blame$. $I$ $could$ $be$ $wrong$.

-X
    Xathros

In case anyone has the problem even with clean connectors, another root cause to consider is when you are using CardExport2 with a sync-charge cable. Don't know exactly why, but if it's charging while CardExport2 is running, when CardExport2 finishes it leaves the USB port in that "one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it" state.

A cold restart of the laptop clears the condition, but it's still an annoyance. Unplugging the charger plug (using the stock cable) is a better workaround to avoid the problem.

I suspect it's somewhat related to the USB spec which defines a max amount of current to be supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Actually, I doubt it is accumulated grime. It is more likely corrosion. SIM cards also had a lot of problems and putting paper behind seemed to solve the problem for a lot of people. This would of course put more pressure on the actual contact points and likely scrape away corrosion. ...
    What do you mean by "putting paper behind" ?
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
    He means putting a piece of paper or scotch tape between the sim and it's carrier (GSM Treos only) to increase it's thickness and improve the connection between the sim and the treo.

-X
    Xathros