1.    #1  
    Hello all, I am a long time lurker and always in awe of the knowlege on this board, but have run into a strange issue with my 650 that has Sprint scratching their heads. My 650 has no applications and has run great until recently when the various auxillary tones (power up/down, plug in power in/out, hotsync start/finish) have stopped sounding. Also I've had a problem with my wired headset that the earpiece has sound but no microphone. Everything else (ringing, messgae tone, etc) seem to work fine.

I spent an hour plus at the Sprint repair store and they were able to confirm the problem and could not find any difinitive cause or fix. They are ordering me a replacement unit but were very honest in stating that the re-furb units sometimes come with problems of their own, and if losing the tones is not a big deal I may want to just stick with what I have. My worry is this problem may be the pre-cursor to another problem down the road.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreicated. Thanks in advance
    Sounds like a bad audio jack on the 650. This has been reported in various forms here before. Try a hard reset first. If that doesn't help, get it replaced.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    My experience with replacement for this very reason:

Second Treo came with the bad "P" key, and eventually the right shift key would stick so that everything was in upper case. I had that Treo for a week, took it back, had ANOTHER one ordered, and it has been solid so far. You'll lose some time going back and forth to the Sprint store, but if you can live with that, you will eventually get a working Treo.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    Hey -

I had the same problem a few months ago, and posted to this board. One of the kind folks here suggested I install and use "Freedom," a Treo 600 application. I did so, and it completly resolved the problem. Freedom is no longer working (it was a trial and the period expired), but the problem has never returned. I suspect something you installed wrote over some code that Freedom fixes.

You can get Freedom from:
    www.toysoft.ca

I think there's a new version that's designed to work with the 600 and 650.

Good luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimfun
    Hey -
    I had the same problem a few months ago, and posted to this board. One of the kind folks here suggested I install and use "Freedom," a Treo 600 application. I did so, and it completly resolved the problem. Freedom is no longer working (it was a trial and the period expired), but the problem has never returned. I suspect something you installed wrote over some code that Freedom fixes.

You can get Freedom from:
    www.toysoft.ca

I think there's a new version that's designed to work with the 600 and 650.

Good luck...
    I've had this problem come and go for about a month now. And Freedom fixed it!
    Cingular 680
  6.    #6  
    Thank you all for the suggestions. It sounds like I'm not alone with some ofthese issues. I do plug in and out both power and headset often so it is possible I have loosened some connections in the base of the unit that senses headset and power.
    Dear Polodad1:

My name is George Cramer and I am with Palm, Inc. I would very much like to get your comments about the Treo that you describe in the below posting.

Please give me a holler at 408.617.8410 or email at george.cramer at palm.com

I'll even trade you a Palm employee only T-Shirt for a few minutes of your time.

Take Care

George Cramer
    Treo 408.702.0150
    george.cramer@palm.com

polodad1 says:

For what it is worth, I was sitting in the main terminal at SEA last Friday afternoon 7/14 waiting for a flight home when a man approached two people sitting next to me and commented on how the man was using a Treo and the lady was using a "competitive" product. He identified himself as working for Palm and pulled out a device that appeared to be slightly smaller than a Treo 650/700 and did not have a antenna. The rest of the device appeared to be similar to curent Treo (keyboard, screen, etc). After they're chat I motioned him over to me explaining that I had been using Palm products for a long time (Palm V, Treo 300/600/650). He again produced the device to me for about 15 seconds and explained that it was a working prototype that may be released as early as December. He gave me a business card and said he and his team would welcome suggestions. The device did not look like the picture shown. Thanks, MG