Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    *** Edit to original post: Forgot to mention that we're with Verizon. ***

Hi all,

My boss and I have had our Treo 650's for just under a month now. We like the phones a lot. To me, Bluetooth is almost worth the price of the phone all by itself. The screen is also a vast improvement over the 600 -- you can actually see it outdoors in direct sunlight, even with a screen protector. There are a host of other improvements, too, which we are very happy with.

We have also compiled a list of things we're not so happy about, and are wondering if anyone else has encountered these same issues, and has any comments/suggestions about them:

1. Flash mode; what the heck is it for?? I have yet to find a good use for it, and if you accidentally get into Flash Mode, you can't get out again. And when you're in Flash Mode, even if you go back to the "Main View", if you press buttons (like if you're in some kind of automated menu on the other end), while you can hear the DTMF tones through the earpiece, they no longer get transmitted to the other end. The only way around that is to hang up and call again, and make sure you don't get into Flash Mode.
    2. Side button; does it really have much of a use? The only use I've found for it is to act as a sort of "accept" key when you change the volume. But the center button does the same thing. You can also assign something to it when you press and hold it, but aside from that, it seems kind of pointless.
    3. As some other people have noticed, you sometimes have to press the green or red button 2 or 3 times to get the phone to turn on. At first I was only noticing that with the red button, but now I've seen it with the green as well.
    4. When using the Treo headset (the official PalmOne version), when the phone is ringing, I've noticed a 2-3 second delay between hitting the button on the headset and when the phone actually answers. Sometimes it has been long enough to cause me to miss a call entirely.
    5. When you go into the Calendar, Tasks, or Notes, I've noticed the blue highlight goes around the entire area, and you have to first press the center button before you can scroll through the list. The same is true when you bring up a Notes item -- you have to press the Center button before you can scroll through your note. I find that highly annoying.
    6. You can no longer change the sound that Wireless Sync makes when it receives updates. It uses the same sound as SMS, which is confusing because when you hear the sound, you don't know whether you've received a sync update or an SMS message. On the 600, it used the "Alert whoosh" sound, which I thought was great.
    7. I just discovered this morning that you can't get to the Call Log when you are on a call. That's extremely annoying to me, and just bad design. I was talking to my office today and they asked me what number I used to call a client. I wanted to pull up the call log to give them the number, and I couldn't!
    8. What happened to the scrollbar in the Contacts List? You used to be able to quickly scroll all the way down to the bottom on the 600; now you have to either hold the Down part of the 5-way nav button for a long time, or tap the down-arrow button on the screen repeatedly to get to the bottom (I have a long Contacts list).

That's all we've got for now.... comments?
    Last edited by bnewall1; 06/08/2005 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnewall1
    *** Edit to original post: Forgot to mention that we're with Verizon. ***
    [*]I just discovered this morning that you can't get to the Call Log when you are on a call. That's extremely annoying to me, and just bad design. I was talking to my office today and they asked me what number I used to call a client. I wanted to pull up the call log to give them the number, and I couldn't!

That's all we've got for now.... comments?
    Regarding this issue (the rest I either agree or don't know about):

- The call log: When on a call, press the send button and you will see a button onscreen labeled "Main View". Press that button and from there you can get to the call log as usual while still on call.
    Last edited by jamestr; 06/08/2005 at 12:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Point 2 : Try Butler (Google Butler Treo 650), you can use the side keys to act somehow like the 5 way pad.

Point 4 : same for me... seems like another Treo problem
    point 4: I use the HBH-660 and can hear the other party instantly upon hitting the button on the headset. Calling out transfers instantaneously on the 660. I have been using this headset for 2 days and it is working great. Very responsive to the Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestr
    Regarding this issue (the rest I either agree or don't know about):

- The call log: When on a call, press the send button and you will see a button onscreen labeled "Main View". Press that button and from there you can get to the call log as usual while still on call.
    I tried that before.. didn't work. You see the "Main View" button when you're in Flash Mode. When you press "Main View" and then press the phone button (which is how you'd get to the call log when you're not on a call), it takes you back to the Flash Mode screen.
    I will add my 2 cents worth on this:

1. I am not familiar with Flash Mode
    2. The side button is great, I use it for the web
    3. not a problem
    4. I have noticed that with my bluetooth headset also, I am using the Motorola Hs850
    5. no comment
    6. don't use
    7. no comment
    8. I also have a long list but I just type a few letters of the name I am looking for and presto, chango it appears

Overall the phone is great, and it does much more than my last Palm (Samsung I500)
    Samsung SCH3500 - Sanyo 4900 - Samsung I500 - Treo 650, and loving it!!!
    I tried that before.. didn't work. You see the "Main View" button when you're in Flash Mode. When you press "Main View" and then press the phone button (which is how you'd get to the call log when you're not on a call), it takes you back to the Flash Mode screen.
    Your're right, but I also have one of my speed dial buttons programmed to bring up the call log and I pull it up from there.
    On Sprint, While on a call, I can push the green phone button to jump to the main phone screen and access the log. If while on a call and at the main phone screen, I hit the green phone button to return to my call screen. And from there (the call screen), if I hit the little onscreen "dialpad" icon, I can access what I would call "flash mode" via a dialpad screen and send dtmf tones to the other end of the call (I actually use this to reboot rack equipment in my server room). At any time, I can repeatedly move about by using the "Cancel" screen button on the "Flash mode" dialpad screen to go back to my call screen (and from there, use the green phone button to go back to the main phone screen and access the log).

Is Verizon so different?!?!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage
    On Sprint, While on a call, I can push the green phone button to jump to the main phone screen and access the log. If while on a call and at the main phone screen, I hit the green phone button to return to my call screen. And from there (the call screen), if I hit the little onscreen "dialpad" icon, I can access what I would call "flash mode" via a dialpad screen and send dtmf tones to the other end of the call (I actually use this to reboot rack equipment in my server room). At any time, I can repeatedly move about by using the "Cancel" screen button on the "Flash mode" dialpad screen to go back to my call screen (and from there, use the green phone button to go back to the main phone screen and access the log).

Is Verizon so different?!?!
    Apparently it is. The way you described your operation is exactly how it worked for me on my 600, which was also Verizon. However, the 650 works differently with Verizon. The "Flash Mode" is not just a return to the dial-pad screen; it's a whole separate animal, no doubt aimed at the quirky way in which Verizon handles conference calling (which is not very well).
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I've also noticed two additional issues I've not seen mentioned yet when comparing to the Treo 600 (I use the sprint version).

1) On my old Treo 600 I could customize the 5-way navigation button. Can't see an option to do that on the 650.

2) The calendar on the old Treo 600 has a mode that lists all your appointments and you can scroll down to access future appointments even years ahead. The 650 only show one screen full of appointments, so you may get 1 day or a few days but that's it.

Not sure if I'm missing something in preference, but havenít been able to find anything yet.

Rocky
    Another issue: while on a call the backlight dims (seems to almost go off completely) and you have to guess where "hang up" is except that only turns the backlight back on then you have to hit "hang up" again to end the call!
    Also, PLEASE tell me why someone thought it was a good idea to connect the recharge cable to the sync cable!! Since the 650 can sync via bluetooth, you should be able to charge without using the sync cable!! Is there something I'm missing??
    Just unplug the charging lead that attaches to HotSync cable and plug it into the Treo... no need to use the HotSync cable at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by realtygal
    Another issue: while on a call the backlight dims (seems to almost go off completely) and you have to guess where "hang up" is except that only turns the backlight back on then you have to hit "hang up" again to end the call!
    Hey realtygal

just tap the screen with your finger to light up the screen and the keys again. the screen and keys go dim or out to save battery when on a long call.

chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by realtygal
    Big red shiny button.
    BOTH excellent suggestions! Thx!
    Featherman: Thanks for the info on the charging cable....NOW it makes sense!
    I just got my T650 (Sprint) and I have noticed a considerable delay when I pick a contact from my T600 (TMO). It is very annoying and you don't know if you picked the contact sometimes so you hit the cnter button again, but since it has already started to dial it then hangs up. Has anyone else noticed this glaring difference from the T600? I thought it was supposed to be faster??? Or might this be a CDMA vs GSM issue???
    if you think treo is a perfect unit then you must be dreaming. lots of problems, if you have not encounter them, you will and the worse of them is dealing with the tech support of palmone. clueless, rude, stupids.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    3. As some other people have noticed, you sometimes have to press the green or red button 2 or 3 times to get the phone to turn on. At first I was only noticing that with the red button, but now I've seen it with the green as well.
    The only time I have noticed this was when Blue Tooth (BT) was turned on. If BT is turned off, then turning the phone back on is quicker. I have tried using Blue Fang to turn BT on and off per application and this seems to work for the most part, but sometimes it seems to get into a mode where it wants to ask you if you want BT turned on before it turns on, and when this happens it waits for you to click yes or no before the phone will even ring! Not sure if there is a way arround this, or if it has been fixed since I last tried it. Anyone else tried Blue Fang?

You can find it here:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/bluefang.shtml

or here:
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...959/index.html