1.    #1  
    I'll be in France for about a month this summer. I have an unlocked 650. I'd like internet/e-mail on the phone on a pre-paid plan that I purchase when I arrive in France. I've not been able to discover if this is possible. Of course I know I can get a "pay as you go" SIM card there and make phone calls, but what about "pay as you go" internet access? Thanks.

mgabel_pi
    I just came back from Paris and was able to use Internet and e-mail while roaming with T-Mobile. While roaming is quite expensive for voice calls ($.99 in France) internet is only
    $.015/kb. I doubt your prepaid plan/card will be cheaper.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Seems to be possible with the Orange prepaid offer named "Mobicarte".
    More info : http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/...ptimiser.shtml
    You need to take it as an option.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. I'm not signed up with a US carrier for the GSM 650. I use it just for travel. I have a Sprint 650 for the US. Thus, the T-Mobile suggestion won't work. "Gerome" - I'll check out htat Orange site. I need to get my French speaking friend to look at this more carefully.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    If you need any help, I'm French It's just written you need to subscribe to the option named Orange World (if my memory serves me right, it's something like 10 € a month for 25 Mo).
    The best way to subscribe is to get your account set-up in an Orange/France Telecom shop. If you go to Paris, I know some shop where they speak english.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladchuk
    I just came back from Paris and was able to use Internet and e-mail while roaming with T-Mobile. While roaming is quite expensive for voice calls ($.99 in France) internet is only $.015/kb. I doubt your prepaid plan/card will be cheaper.
    A prepaid plan will definitely be cheaper for voice calls, since they cost about $.40 or $.50 cents per minute. I don't think prepaid plans allow data usage, though.

It all depends on what you want to use your Treo for. If you want to call the US or use it for data, then T-Mobile roaming is the answer. If you want actually to use your phone to call people in France and have them call you for a period of time, a prepaid French plan (SFR, Bouygues, Orange) is definitely better.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all this nice info. I'll be in Paris for 5 weeks. I want to make calls generally within Paris and now and then back to the US. I REALLY want to be able to get data access [web-e-mail] - but I can't, of course, sign up for 5 months of service!! When I was recently in India I tried and tried and could not find anyone who'd sell me data on a pre-paid service.
    "Gerome" - the name of a store in Paris speaking English would be most helpful. Thanks. I know there are Cyber Cafe's but it would be so neat to have data access.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    The best shop to go to is the one oppposite the "Galeries Lafayette" on metro line 9 Chaussée d'Antin-Lafayette stop. It' opened from 10am to 8pm. Address is 21/23 boulevard Haussmann 75009 Paris. It is one of the major France Telecom shop in the center of Paris and I know they speak english.

Enjoy your trip !
  9.    #9  
    Gerome: thanks.
    FWIW, I have Cingular and was charged for phone calls but never received a charge for data while on a trip to France.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi
    I'll be in France for about a month this summer. I have an unlocked 650. I'd like internet/e-mail on the phone on a pre-paid plan that I purchase when I arrive in France. I've not been able to discover if this is possible. Of course I know I can get a "pay as you go" SIM card there and make phone calls, but what about "pay as you go" internet access? Thanks.
    mgabel_pi
    (1) Get a card

Basically, you have 3 main offers: Mobicarte from Orange, and SFR La Carte from SFR, and Carte Nomad from Bouygues. Both of them are pre-paid. A new carrier without network is present since a few month and could be less expensive, but infortunatly I don't remember the name. Anyway, you can read details at http://www.lesmobiles.com/prepayes/ (it's in French, but you can use the translation service from http://tr.voila.fr or http://babelfish.altavista.fr). Be careful: Bouygues is GSM 1800 (Orange and SFR are GSM 900).

(2) Activate data service

Most of the time, GSM data is not enabled for new SIM cards. You have to ask if it is enabled, and if not ask for the GSM data to be enabled. It is free to activate GSM data, but you have to ask.

(3) Get a French ISP with a geographic number

08ABPQxxxx will be over charged in France for GSM calls, even with a French operator. You have to get an ISP in France, that will give you a geographic number to call to connect. The best solution is http://www.free.fr, creating a new account is free and you will use your provided login/password with phone number +33173922000 (works only from a GSM, if you try this number from a fixed phone you'll get a "not-available" message: this number is reserved for GSM usage).

Hope it will help,
    Jean-Francois.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Are you sure you need an ISP ? GPRS/EDGE should directly provide connectivity with Internet... Having an ISP is useful only if your are in a secluded part of the French countryside where GPRS is not available.
  13.    #13  
    Jean-Francois: much thanks. Do you know the answer to Gerome's question about needing an ISP? Also, what does "08ABPQxxxx " mean? [I'll be only in Paris and Tours.]
    Also, I'm not sure why I'd have to call a phone number to access the internet/e-mail. At home (in the US) I just click on the web or versamail icon. What would calling +33173922000 get me? Why would I have to call it? Thanks.