Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    There have been many threads here asking which carrier is the best. And everyone has an opinion to offer. The real answer, of course, is - "It depends" - on your budget, where you call from and where you call to, the amount of calling you do, and your data transfer requirements. There is an answer to some of your questions here:

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/telecom/ra...eless/Find.jsp

Disclaimer: I do not work for T-Mobile or use T-Mobile's services. I once used T-mobile and was not surprised at the survey results. But I was forced to change due to changes in my where I need to call from and to, and data transfer requirements.
    For the heck of it i'll chime in why I would only use Sprint.

1. It's only $35/month (and overages cost me very little)
    2. promotions give me 2 years of vision for free
    3. promotions give me $20 off my monthly bill
    4. sprint cellular coverage in my area (south jersey) is phenominal
    5. I rarely have dropped calls, when I do it's usually the other end.
    6. voice quality is good (compared to everyone's verizon phones i've tried)
    7. SMS is free
    8. picture mail is free

So in summary, my bill is $32/month, with that I get vision, unlimited DUN for my laptop, great coverage, free sms and picture mail, and very good voice quality. If another service can match that i'll consider them.

EDIT: your link above is broken.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    As I said, your mileage may vary. Sorry for the broken link. Here it is corrected:

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/telecom/ra...eless/Find.jsp

Thanks for catching it...http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I must be doing something wrong. The link works fine when I am editing, but it truncates on posting.

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/telecom/ratings/wireless
    When it comes to those ratings, i feel that the regions covered are just too broad. I don't really care who has the best service, I just want to know the coverage in my city, in my apartment, and at my job. The only way to test that is to get a phone for a trial period and take it to those places.
    I have travelled to most of the major metro areas with sprint and it has worked excellent. For $114.00, before taxes, I have two lines, 3500 day minutes, my nights and weekends start at 7:00 PM, unlimited PCS to PCS, unlimited data for both palm phones, unlimited sms, unlimited picturemail and 23% off for being a prosecutor for the City of New York. I think the full price would be 135 without the discount.
    I like Cingular, have had Sprint, Tmobile and Cingular for the past three years. Cingular where I live, So Cal, by far best coverage. Just back from a week in Utah, weak T-mobile, almost non-existant Sprint and 4 bars Cingular, even in remote areas.

Customer service great, discount for gov't employee and EDGE. Going to europe too, so using GSM advantages.

Pay $20 for unlimited internet, 1500 sms, and 200 picture emails.

My opinion.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    I've had Sprint for the longest time and never have I had a problem. Even with customer service. I have a really good deal... monthly credits to my bill... and my nights start at 7:00 without and additional fees. Anytime I've complained, they are always good to give credit or something free. I once mentioned that I was unhappy with the phone they sent me and I got a year free of vision with a new phone...
    jack is the man
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I have had sprint since 1998 and will not change. I've used sprint when their network sucked. Now I think they offer the best prices expecially on their data plan. I have not had any bad experiences with them not to say they are perfect, but it works for me. Just my 2 cents.
    "Someone call the Whambulance"
    Photo Blog
    My Space
    i have sprint was going to go cingular becuase of GSm sick of missing calls, and yes i want my chatter and verichat on all the time :P
    A happy Sprint user here-----><-----
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I like Cingular, have had Sprint, Tmobile and Cingular for the past three years. Cingular where I live, So Cal, by far best coverage. Just back from a week in Utah, weak T-mobile, almost non-existant Sprint and 4 bars Cingular, even in remote areas.

Customer service great, discount for gov't employee and EDGE. Going to europe too, so using GSM advantages.

Pay $20 for unlimited internet, 1500 sms, and 200 picture emails.

My opinion.
    I had the 19.99 unlimited MediaWorks, and I have recieved bills in excess of 400.00 for the last 3 months. After evaluating, Cingular has decided that I owe them over 1000.00, and that the credit dispute over the data usage will go to arbitration. I am obviously switching carriers. I have a friend who has T-Mobile, and he hates it in both Arizona, and California. So I am at a loss.

I may pay the extra $ and try Verizon.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I always have a good laugh when I see these types of threads. They are usually useless because satisfaction is based on the person and where they use their phone, not on the carrier. What one person might think is the best carrier is not what another may think.

For me, price is probably #1. Coverage is probably #2. I get a 20% discount on Sprint services because of the company I work for, so it's hard to pass that up. Sprint isn't the best coverage I've had, but i's good enough. I don't get a full signal everywhere like I did when I was with Cingular, but as long as I have something I'm fine.

As for customer service, it's hit or miss with everything. Those companies/websites that post those customer satisfaction surveys don't mean anything to me. You can call customer service one day and have a great experience, you can call the next day and it be horrible. It's like that with anything.

Lastly, I believe satisfaction in a cell carrier is based on how it works where you use it most. For me, that's at work and at home. It's nice to have good coverage when travelling, but that's not my main concern.

T-Mobile and Sprint have the smallest networks and also have the cheapest prices. Cingular and Verizon have the biggest networks and also have the highest prices. As it's said, you get what you pay for. Nextel has a small network, but they cost more because of the special features they have like walkie talkie.

Joe
    I've had Sprint for nearly 4 years now and agree their CS sucks arse like no other! However, their plans are unbeatable (especially the higher end ones) and so I've been unable to unshackle myself from them. However, if the opportunity every arises, I would jump immediately...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    I had the 19.99 unlimited MediaWorks, and I have recieved bills in excess of 400.00 for the last 3 months. After evaluating, Cingular has decided that I owe them over 1000.00, and that the credit dispute over the data usage will go to arbitration. I am obviously switching carriers. I have a friend who has T-Mobile, and he hates it in both Arizona, and California. So I am at a loss.

I may pay the extra $ and try Verizon.
    I have had Verizon, Sprint, and now Cingular. I am stuck with Cingular for a while. Sprint overall was the best in my experience. IF you go to JDPowers website, it looks like T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon get the best marks, depending on where you are.

If you take Sprint, with the $5 unlimited roaming option to cover you in the boonies, and use a lot of data, it is the best. There aren't very many places in the US or Canada where you won't get CDMA, and Sprint covers you in all the metro areas.

The call quality and coverage just works best with CDMA, so Sprint would be my top pick all around. Cingulars network in Boston has problems, and the GSM 650 has tons of bugs compared to my Sprint 600. I can't beleive they haven't released updated firmware yet...

1) Memory problems (alredy addressed on CDMA)...
    2) Low volume issues
    3) BT bugs.
    4) SIM card's turning the phone off
    5) Billing problems
    6) GSM Treo dropping calls in good coverage areas.
    7) Un-ablility to dial calls.
    8) Rediculous SMS and data charges (they fix this when you call in, but it is a total hassle).

Cingular is terrible right now. I only hope it improves as AT&T and Cingular merge networks.

Glenn
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I agree with you, Quake (and others here). I am using Cingular now because it fits my needs at this point in time. I need GSM for foreign travel and Cingular specifically because they have the least expensive plan that covers calls to/from/within Mexico and the US. As far as customer service they suck mucho and as far as technical knowledge it depends who you get on the phone (like most other carriers). I have used Verizon and T-mobile also. My perception parallels exactly the JD Powers results. In the last two years, T-mobile has improved incredibly. They were very poor in all areas of measurement three years ago, in my opinion. As others have stated - that's my $.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I always have a good laugh when I see these types of threads. They are usually useless because satisfaction is based on the person and where they use their phone, not on the carrier. What one person might think is the best carrier is not what another may think.

For me, price is probably #1. Coverage is probably #2. I get a 20% discount on Sprint services because of the company I work for, so it's hard to pass that up. Sprint isn't the best coverage I've had, but i's good enough. I don't get a full signal everywhere like I did when I was with Cingular, but as long as I have something I'm fine.

As for customer service, it's hit or miss with everything. Those companies/websites that post those customer satisfaction surveys don't mean anything to me. You can call customer service one day and have a great experience, you can call the next day and it be horrible. It's like that with anything.

Lastly, I believe satisfaction in a cell carrier is based on how it works where you use it most. For me, that's at work and at home. It's nice to have good coverage when travelling, but that's not my main concern.

T-Mobile and Sprint have the smallest networks and also have the cheapest prices. Cingular and Verizon have the biggest networks and also have the highest prices. As it's said, you get what you pay for. Nextel has a small network, but they cost more because of the special features they have like walkie talkie.

Joe
    For me Coverage is #1. I travel, and my work pays for a portion of my bill, so price is not that big of deal. Sprint's coverage doesn't even come close to Cingular where I am ate. I just hope Verizon is as good as the coverage map shows.
    I like Sprint overall but a funny thing happened tonight (I have Sprint). I was driving right by Sprint's world headquarters talking on my Treo and my Treo dropped the call.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast