1.    #1  
    I didn't like the functionality of RealPlayer (lousy handling of playlists mainly), so even though I'm not a big ShoutCast user, after reading all the enthusiastic comments, I downloaded the demo version of pTunes. The sound quality was horrible: tinny and full of pops and crackles. RealPlayer may not have a very good UI, but the sound quality is excellent through my Etymotic 6i's.

I have a 1G Sandisk Ultra SD, so i don't think that's the problem. Any suggestions before I give up on pTunes?
    Don't give up, I have ptunes and love it, i have high end sony earbuds and the music sounds fantastic.
    ptunes produces very good sound with me. Check your headphones and make sure you have the 2 channel adapter for your phone. Cracking is probably a problem with low quality wires or a bad connection.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h
    ptunes produces very good sound with me. Check your headphones and make sure you have the 2 channel adapter for your phone. Cracking is probably a problem with low quality wires or a bad connection.
    I don't think that's the problem cuz RealPlayer works fine.
    Try Aeroplayer...
    http://www.aerodrome.us/aeroplayer/index.html

I like it because it has a lot simpler interface...does what it does, and does it well.
    Fearless, Check your General Prefs withion pTunes. Tinker with the volume boost. +3dB (2x) works best for me. It's louder than the defualt but not distorted.
    speaking of ptunes...

I have the latest version but for some reason, the UI is kind of bland and boring and it doesnt look anything like whats shown on their site.

anyone wanna clue me in as to why?
    You need to download a better skin.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    There is DioPlayer and it is free. Also works in the background. Ben
    I'm trying to find a program that will stream this mms://wmsglobecast.ld.mediawave.co.uk/globecast
    so for no luck. Will P-Tunes do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuzco
    Try Aeroplayer...
    http://www.aerodrome.us/aeroplayer/index.html

I like it because it has a lot simpler interface...does what it does, and does it well.
    I love Aeroplayer!! I might actually decide to buy it because the quality is so much better than PTunes - specifically the bass. Whenever I get the auxiliary input cable for my car's CD Player, I'm sure I'll be able to tell a huge difference between the quality then.

However, my only beef with Aeroplayer is that when I open Blazer, it skips and skips and skips. PTunes does it once or twice...Busker doesn't skip ever...and I don't care what Real does because it doesn't even have an EQ (on top of many other things it's lacking).

Does Aeroplayer skip on others' Treos when browsing with Blazer?? Any way to get around it? I tried PXA Clocker and it didn't help. I tried browsing with Xiino, and it maybe skipped once or twice...but I don't like the way Xiino renders pages. Are there any other apps I should fear using while playing songs with Aeroplayer?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Does Aeroplayer skip on others' Treos when browsing with Blazer?? Any way to get around it? I tried PXA Clocker and it didn't help. I tried browsing with Xiino, and it maybe skipped once or twice...but I don't like the way Xiino renders pages. Are there any other apps I should fear using while playing songs with Aeroplayer?

Thanks in advance.
    I have the same problem w/ aeroplayer and blazer. I haven't found a solution to it yet. FWIW, I have aeroplayer in my ROM.

-Sketchy
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    I have the same problem w/ aeroplayer and blazer. I haven't found a solution to it yet.
    That's sucky. I guess I will have to buy Xiino after all. I'll definitely be complaining to the Aeroplayer developer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    FWIW, I have aeroplayer in my ROM.
    Thanks for the tip. This makes me happy, as PTunes didn't work in the ROM I hear.
    I have used RealPlayer, Aeroplayer and Ptunes. The best sound quality I've noticed is from TCPMP (core pocket media player). I have set the preamp to 20 and volume to about 10.
    I'm not too sure if you can play music in the background with TCPMP but the sound quality is the best for mp3
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    A simple increase in volume can often be percieved as an increase in quality. See if you can get the signals to the same volume, then try to test between quality. I doubt you'll hear much, if any, difference.

Cheers,
    Jacob
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    A simple increase in volume can often be percieved as an increase in quality. See if you can get the signals to the same volume, then try to test between quality. I doubt you'll hear much, if any, difference.

Cheers,
    Jacob
    He speaks the truth.
    Also, just FYI...Aeroplayer 5.5 just came out today. Here's what the version log says:

" * New in 5.5 (2005-07-17)
    o Added support for viewing embedded album art
    o MP3 Plug-in 4.6.0 released
    o AAC Plug-in 1.1.0 released
    o Improved display of metadata (Track info)
    o Fixed several bugs involving memory"

I thought the memory bugs that were fixed would help the Blazer problem, but it sure didn't! AHH...now I'm sending something to the developer. I wish others would do the same.
    Another advantage of TCPMP (The Core Pocket Media Player) over RealPlayer is in playback of MP3s recorded at variable bit rates.

With TCPMP, the playback is smooth.

With RealPlayer, about a word in every two or three sentences (of an audio book) is garbled.

I use TCPMP for audiobooks. It plays back the tracks in order.

I use RealPlayer for MP3 songs for which the playback mode is shuffle. As noted earlier in this thread, RealPlayer's handling of playlists is horrible. It handles shuffle ok but if you want to specify an order, good luck.
    I use Pocket Tunes deluxe and it sounds awesome. Works best with Variable bit rate WMA's

By the way, the newest version does work in ROM, I have been using it for a couble of months now.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    For the life of me, I cannot select more than a single song in Real Player. Soon as I click on one, it takes me out of the song list and starts playing it.

Also, I cannot figure out how to select a playlist. If I hit the playlist button, then select a playlist, it brings me to the list of songs for the playlist. Then I have the same problem as before...I can only select one song in the playlist.

I must be missing something obvious....???