1.    #1  
    i want to get the new Tomtom GPS 5 when it comes out this month.
    What GPS receiver does it use? Is it available separately? Is the software package also available separately? I was wondering if it is cheaper to buy both parts rather than as a package.

Does everyone agree that Tomtom #5 is the best GPS driving navigation for the treo?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rockoffer
    What GPS receiver does it use?
    It is SirfStar III chipset and (rumor is) most likely made by GlobalSat, the makers of the BT-338 receiver.

Is it available separately?
    We don't know yet because it hasn't been released. In past experience, the items have been available seperately a couple months following release as a package.

Is the software package also available separately?
    We don't know yet because it hasn't been released. In past experience, the items have been available seperately a couple months following release as a package.

I was wondering if it is cheaper to buy both parts rather than as a package.
    The package will likely be cheaper than seperate purchases. That's generally been the case with past releases.

Does everyone agree that Tomtom #5 is the best GPS driving navigation for the treo?
    tomTom #5 hasn't hit the streets in the US yet, but tomTom Navigator 2004 has been very popular for good reason. In my opinion, they do the best job and will continue to deliver quality to stay ahead of the curve now that they have a lot of cash from their recent IPO.
    Last edited by Katway; 06/08/2005 at 07:10 AM.
    From what I understand, the new TomTom receiver does not have as much battery life as the GlobalSat but is otherwise essentially the same. You could still purchase TomTom software with the GlobalSat brand receiver.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery