1.    #1  
    Hello all -

As I was toying with a (work-donated) new laptop during a car trip last weekend, I hated having to rely on wifi hotspots for internet access... I realize there's probably a way to use the treo 650 to dial up an ISP and use it as a modem for my laptop to connect to the internet... but that isn't what I want to do... I want to use my already-being-paid-for Sprint data plan on my treo 650 to surf the web on my laptop... is this possible?
    yes it is possible. Search the fourms, plenty of info there. hint - DUN. I'm not going to rehash all the scenerios.

T
    2 options...
    1. DUN via bluetooth
    2. PDAnet (buy it at palmgear) and hotsync cable (this is what I use and very reliable)
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info, taointn... I'll check into that program!

As for tmc's less than helpful response - why would you even bother to post, if all you're going to tell people is to "search the forum"? I read the dang forum every day, and just didn't realize that DUN exactly equated to what I was trying to do.
    Because in the time you waste, posting this question, and waiting for a response, you would have found your answer. He was being helpful, not rude.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    That's ridiculous, dude... think again... if I don't fully understand something, I ask a question in the forum, and get it answered... if I don't understand something, to the point where I don't realize a word or phrase, such as "DUN" applies to it, I can't very well run a search on it...
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Yes, DUN over bluetooth can be enabled

Everything you need to know can be found at shadowmite:

Shadowmite
    you should probably hold his hand and walk him over there...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    You can also use PDAnet over bluetooth, not just cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by enchilada88
    That's ridiculous, dude... think again... if I don't fully understand something, I ask a question in the forum, and get it answered... if I don't understand something, to the point where I don't realize a word or phrase, such as "DUN" applies to it, I can't very well run a search on it...

Hey enchilada....don't worry about responding to those that berate you here, lol... I don't know HALF of what I'm doing as well as these techie people here, sometimes I just ask and duck waiting to be flamed for not being as savvy... I've been on message boards and electronic round table discussions for 15 years on the internet, the same questions get asked over and over in forums like this.

I think those that show patience in answering are the people that I respect most.

I've been told to RTFM more than once, and I have learned to at least try - but sometimes you just don't even know where to begin.

Bek
  11.    #11  
    Thanks, Bek... I too have been using forums to educate myself for several years now... it just cracks me up when people act like someone is wasting their time - when, literally, all they had to do was just ignore the post and move on...

Alright, enough about that.

For those of you that have tried shadowmite's DUN hack, I've given it a try, followed his directions, and get the "dial up neworking" to show up on the treo's bluetooth page... I've got the laptop recognizing the treo, and seem to be partnered up. But, I am unsuccessful in getting the laptop to actually surf using the bluetooth connection. When I launch Internet Explorer, I get a page cannot be displayed message. Any ideas?

I'm going to take a look at the pdanet program that taontn suggested... $34 is a little steep, but, if it's an easy fix, it may be worth it. I'll be interested to see how fast pages load on the laptop (I'm guessing it'll make me long for even my old 56k modem).

Thanks again everyone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    you should probably hold his hand and walk him over there...
    good God people....

why do you have to be so darn nice?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enchilada88
    I'll be interested to see how fast pages load on the laptop (I'm guessing it'll make me long for even my old 56k modem).

Thanks again everyone...
    You didn't say which carrier you're with (or I missed it), but I think you might be surprised at how fast it is..

edit: D'oh.. I did miss it. You said sprint. In that case it's usually at least 2x-3x better than a 56k modem. At least when I've used it.

Technically tho, it's against Terms of Service. But so long as you don't like download a bunch of big files over it or use it 24/7 you should be ok.

I used it when I went on a business trip. Was very nice because I didn't want to pay the $10/night for wifi in the hotel. What a ripoff.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    I used it when I went on a business trip. Was very nice because I didn't want to pay the $10/night for wifi in the hotel. What a ripoff.
    Agreed. PDANet is rock solid for me. Works great as a backup connection or occasionally as a way around the proxy at work too .
    I used PDANet until the 1.23 patch was leaked... er... became available for the GSM Treos and I was able to get bluetooth DUN working right on my laptop and my unlocked Treo. I found that it was pretty good via the cable and kinda spotty via bluetooth.

I'd still recommend it over the Bluetooth DUN hack as I didn't have much luck with the hack when I was trying AT&T/Cingular's network with one of their Treos.