Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Well since it doesn't have A2DP or a 3.5 stereo jack it's not a true MP3 player but...

    if you are a music lover(as I am) and you need to get in the zone and rock out wherever you may be and want to only carry around one device then here's what I recommend.

    I use the built in realplayer and not Pockettunes. If you need to stream music over the net then you obviously need Pockettunes but if you just want to play your mp3's then I recommend the built in, less point of failure, FREE, mediaplayer. It seems to work better when the phone rings and text messages come in. And since most of us already probably have a nice pair of headphones which have a 3.5 tip and not a stupid 2.5 dumb *** lame 1990's useless jack I HIGHLY recommend getting the PALM1 branded 3.5 stereo adapter. They sell it here for 5.95 whereas PALM has it for 10 bucks. I have other 3.5 adapters but none of them seem to give as clear a sound and as good a fit then the PALM1 one. Also if you're playing music to your car via a cassete adapter or line in(lucky dogs) then make sure real player volume is only at about 25-30% otherwise it'll just give too much feedback and sound tinny and crappy. Turn it up with your car volume and adjust bass and treble.

    When calls come in the phone rings but not through the headphones. You can buy an app called "FREEDOM" from www.toysoft.ca I think that fixes this but I'm sick of buying stuff that should work out the box. I can hear it ring anyway. When I answer it I can hear the call through my headphones and talk through the mic on the phone. So I can hold it like a walkie talkie and have a conversation and hear MUCH better than I can buy smashing that low volume earpiece up to my head. Also when it's hooked up to my car through the cassette adapter I can hear the call through my car speakers and speak to the mic on the phone. It can actually pick me up from pretty far away if the windows are rolled up. I migh get some double sided velcro and stick it to my dash and just take calls like that.

    Anyway that's my music solution for the 650. You can void all of this and buy a HP 6315 which has a 3.5 jack built in. Only if that PROC was a 400mhz intel xscale though...
  2. #2  
    With my 600 I could take calls in the car as you describe using the stereo speakers to hear and the built in mic on the phone, but the mic on my 650 doesn't seem to work in that mode. I haven't tested it fully to see if maybe the callers just didn't hear me speaking the couple of times I tried it, but I had the phone in the same spot as when I used the 600. Has anyone else experienced this?
  3. #3  
    I use Pocket Tunes. I haven't had any of the phone problems that other people have had. It is certainly a user-driven prefereance and both Pocket Tunes and Real Player are nice audio players, but I like pTunes for the follwoing reasons:
    1. Playlists are easier to create and modify
    2. I can delete a song from within pTunes without having to leave the program.
    3. Playlists will self update and get rid of any reference to songs which have been deleted.
    4. The conduit with Windows Media Player 10 is flawless. While I have nothing but praise for palm file browser as a good alternative when you don't have a card reader/writer, utilizing WMP is nice and easy.

    ON the last note, I keep my songs lossless on the harddrive. They are HUGE. But when WMP transfers them to my Treo, I have the bitrate set to the losewst possible setting. Sure I supposedly lose a lot of audio qualty but I save tons of space. Over the Treo's tinny speaker or through headsets which you cannot blare, the sound difference is inperceptible.

    Finally, streaming audio is a big plus. Suppose you want to hear the Chilli Pepper's "soul to squeeze" but it's not on your SD card. Simply search for it in shoutcast, pick a station that is palying it and away you go. This is a good way of finding stations that match your interests.
  4. kronium's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #4  
    $15 for FREEDOM. That's kinda steep! I know a calls coming in when I hear the music stop. But sometimes I just think that the break is because of a streaming station. Would be nice to have the phone ring through the headphones, but not for $15. Any other alternatives? THanks
  5. #5  
    i use p-tunes and it seems to work well with a 1 gig card. an adapter jack from radio shack seemed to do the trick.
  6. deanfx's Avatar
    Posts
    288 Posts
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by g550guy
    i use p-tunes and it seems to work well with a 1 gig card. an adapter jack from radio shack seemed to do the trick.
    I used one of those four foot long adapters from radiocrack. I could take a step and it would fall out. Today I received my treocentral adapter and it is great. I even like it better than the pa1m branded adapter.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Also if you're playing music to your car via a cassete adapter or line in(lucky dogs) then make sure real player volume is only at about 25-30% otherwise it'll just give too much feedback and sound tinny and crappy. Turn it up with your car volume and adjust bass and treble.
    How is your 650 feeding back into your car speakers when playing music?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TayeDrummer
    How is your 650 feeding back into your car speakers when playing music?
    The cassette adapter, I still have a casette player in my car. My next car won't though and it probably won't have a line in either... I'll just have to go back to burning cd's again. Oh the pain of only 16-20 songs per...
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    The cassette adapter, I still have a casette player in my car. My next car won't though and it probably won't have a line in either... I'll just have to go back to burning cd's again. Oh the pain of only 16-20 songs per...
    You were saying that your Treo was causing feedback when the volume was set past 25-30%. Did you mean distortion? My 600 microphone isn't active when I'm playing back MP3's, is the 650's?
  10. #10  
    Wait a minute, the 650 doesn't allow you to hear the phone ringing if you have headphones plugged in? I never knew that since the phone rings through the headphones just fine on my 600. I was considering upgrading in the not too distant future, and while not a deal breaker that is kinda annoying.
  11. kronium's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Wait a minute, the 650 doesn't allow you to hear the phone ringing if you have headphones plugged in? I never knew that since the phone rings through the headphones just fine on my 600. I was considering upgrading in the not too distant future, and while not a deal breaker that is kinda annoying.
    Yeah kind of a bummer, but it's real obvious playing mp3s when all of a sudden the music stops. There's gotta be a simple piece of freeware out there!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    The cassette adapter, I still have a casette player in my car. My next car won't though and it probably won't have a line in either... I'll just have to go back to burning cd's again. Oh the pain of only 16-20 songs per...
    Quote Originally Posted by TayeDrummer
    You were saying that your Treo was causing feedback when the volume was set past 25-30%. Did you mean distortion? My 600 microphone isn't active when I'm playing back MP3's, is the 650's?
    TayeDrummer,
    I too wondered about Juice's comment about "feedback"...
    I think that the term he really means is "distortion". I too listen to mp3's on my car stereo with my 650 via a cassette adapter and find that if my 650's volume is all the way up, it causes a gain overload on the head of the cassette player.

    To sum, is "feedback" possible? No; however, distortion can occur from gain overload.

    Hope this helps.
  13.    #13  
    yeah, distortion. It's sound too tinny and crackly.

Posting Permissions