Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All -

Just wanted to get some info on PocketTunes i'm thinking about getting it for my music. So after i get this app and install it, can i use the app itself to get music that i'm looking for or is it just to play the music? And where can i get the music from that i'm looking for. Thanks
    If you get deluxe version you can get music br streaming. As far as where to get music, well you can rip you CD's, or purchase online from many diffrent sources.
    you can't purchase songs through pt unfortunatly. I usually rip my cds and put the songs on sd card. I don't purchase music online or anything so hopefully someone else that does can chime in. pt deluxe will let you stream shoutcast ( internet radio ) hope this helps..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    FYI - A great (free) ripping program for your cd's so you can convert to mp3's is called "Audiograbber". It works fast and its freeware now.

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/
  5.    #5  
    Ok thanks for the replies so far, as you can prolly tell i don't much about this area of apps. So when you say "rip" for my cds using that program, how does that work? I'll definitely go ahead and download that app a.s.a.p.

Also a little off subject when downloading apps, do you guys normally save the phone or save on your sd card? I'm asking b/c i should be receiving my sd card today and i just wanted to know how to determine what to save on the card and what to save on the phone. Thanks,
    well me personally i save my apps to the ram then move them move and run them from the card using a program called powerRun. as far as ripping basically you will just be copying the cd in mp3 format to the your computer. Then using card reader(much faster) or hotsync moving the songs to the memory card to play on the treo.. hope this helps..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    some online-purchased music (realAudio) can be played on a treo directly (not with ptunes, though)

with itunes I record an audio CD backup and re-rip as mp3 or ogg vorbis for the treo -- all personal use only
    Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man
    Ok thanks for the replies so far, as you can prolly tell i don't much about this area of apps. So when you say "rip" for my cds using that program, how does that work? I'll definitely go ahead and download that app a.s.a.p.
    Install audiograbber-->Run audiograbber-->Load your music cd into your computer-->Click on CDDB (this will then go out on the internet and then look for the cd you put in and then pull the filenames of the songs *really cool)-->click on Grab (at this point it will copy the songs from audio format to your hard drive, convert them to mp3 and then you can do what was posted above by donric609 to move them to your treo to play with ptunes or whatever.)
    I made a huge mistake earlier this year,

When I got my Treo 650 i upgraded from 2.x to 3.x basic (price 9.95).
    The upgrade price for 2.x to 3.x deluxe was and is 19.95. But at that time i didnt need WMA nor shoutcast

Now thanks to my brother, I am addicted to www.radioseven.se (techno dance and 80s, nice combo) on shoutcast. So yesterday I upgraded from 3.x Basic to Deluxe (14.95)

So instead of spending 19.95 USD to go directly to Deluxe, I ended up paying 24.90 to go indirectly to deluxe...im a sad panda...but meh i will survive

BTW ptunes rocks...
    I use CDEX to rip cds (http://www.download.com/CDex/3000-21...ml?tag=lst-0-1)
    And Adobe Audition 1.5 to optimize and modify my music files (except mids, dont use them) (http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/main.html)
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    How do you guys get phone calls when you're streaming all of this audio? I don't understand the appeal. I have PT Deluxe by the way.
    well i have GSM right...so I have chattermail checking my mail always ie it uses an active GPRS signal all the time, and I am still able to get phonecalls...same when i am on the web (blazer) or using verichat...so with that ptunes is no different
    I usually don't. (and I dont stream much unless I find a talk radio show to listen to on the ride home for that very reason.)

BTW I have CDMA (sprint)
    Last edited by t2gungho; 06/07/2005 at 02:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    well i have GSM right...so I have chattermail checking my mail always ie it uses an active GPRS signal all the time, and I am still able to get phonecalls...same when i am on the web (blazer) or using verichat...so with that ptunes is no different
    Cool. I don't think my Sprint 650 can pull that off.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    Cool. I don't think my Sprint 650 can pull that off.
    honestly i dont know anymore...the best thing to do would ask people who are on verichat or who use chattermail with SprintPCS or now Verizon
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Verichat does not STREAM data (Same goes for viewing web pages). On Sprint at least, when data is being transferred (lil data arrow are GREEN) any incoming call will be blocked and sent to voicemail. If they are GREY (no data is being transfered, then the call is able to come through.

Chattermail isn't constantly sending or receiving data over that active connection. It's basically telling the IMAP server to keep the connection open for however long until it sends more another request asking if there are new mail messages. If, however, a call comes in at the exact moment it's making that request (at least on sprint) it will punt that call to voicemail.

Now, text messages and voicemail notifications are a different story. They -will- come over the wire regardless. So, (again, on sprint) you can tell everyone that if they get your voicemail immediately to use the option to page you and that will come through or they can leave a voicemail and you'll get that notification.
    I just use Windows Media Player to rip my CDs - simple, built in - nothing to download. I rip them to 64K size (I want tons of songs on my 1Gb, and I'm no audiophile, so that works for me). I then just copy from /mydocs/mymusic over to my SD card in its card reader (it appears as 'E' drive or whatever', and rock on from there.

Pretty simple once you've done it a few times. Just need to get the 2Gb card (and eventually the 4Gb card....will it ever stop?!?)
    Slightly OT, but for CD Ripping, I highly recommend CDex. It normalizes on the fly, etc....I've been using it for years and years. You can find it anywhere via Google.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    I stopped buying cd's years ago, but I converted them to mp3's back in 2000 when I was still running Windows ( Linux now ). I think the program was called CDGrabber. Pretty nifty, but I have used other programs ( such as Audiograbber ) as well. Linux comes with plenty of Audio CD software that also can convert CD Audio to formats such as mpeg-1 layer 3 ( mp3 ), ogg vorbis ( ogg ), aac, flac, and more. Pocket Tunes can handle at least mp3, ogg, and wma formats, and I am unsure of the others.

There are many other places to get music online or offline, but you need to make sure its in a format your player understands.
    I use Pocket Tunes Deluxe to listen to a lot of talk radio. I also use Yahoo Music Unlimited to transfer songs to the Treo and listen to them with Pocket Tunes. I got in for a year subscription when they first offered it for $50 + but now it's about double. Still a good service though.
    Newb question here.
    For GSM treos, while playing music or streaming with Ptunes, the treo allows phone calls and messages. This I understand. Does the music resume automatically once the call is ended?

thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast