Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    after readin the follwoing article...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/06/...ness/email.php

======================================
    But on Monday, Microsoft made a move that could make the business a lot more competitive, announcing that it would give thousands of its existing corporate customers free push e-mail software by upgrading their Microsoft Exchange 2003 server software.

Microsoft's move aims to spur the sale of smart phones, personal digital assistants and other hand-held devices that use its latest Windows Mobile 5.0 software. As many as 120 million users around the world could benefit from the software upgrade for Microsoft Exchange if they were to buy handsets that used the latest version of Windows Mobile software.
    =======================================

Do you think the cross license of microsoft's Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync®. will enable push e-mail on the palm in the future?

Your thoughts..
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I can't configure chattermail with gmail. What am I doing wrong?
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    I can't configure chattermail with gmail. What am I doing wrong?
    Are you trying to Push, or POP? It'll only POP. If you need settings, let me know.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    VersaCrap go push? Damm they can't even get to work right, can you imagine the headaches? Chatter all the way........by the time, VersaCrap & Snapper get going, Chatter will be ahead by miles........
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    chatter is the shiznik. Skip all the rest.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    What is it exactly that you love about Chatter? I use versamail (I'm not a power user though) to get my POP mail on demand and it seems to work. Are there other benefits that I don't know I'm missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by twist747
    What is it exactly that you love about Chatter? I use versamail (I'm not a power user though) to get my POP mail on demand and it seems to work. Are there other benefits that I don't know I'm missing?
    i love the notifications...its a lot easier
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but to use Chatter with Exchange (and Exchange is what this thread is all about), you'd have to open an IMAP port on the Exchange server, and most IT folks are very unwilling to do that. So then, for large corporate enterprises, Chatter isn't relevant. What is relevant to this thread is how VersaMail, once Exchange ActiveSync Service Pack 2 comes out, will allow full push email, contact, calendar sync, etc, withOUT needing middleware servers like BES, Good, Intellisync, etc.

My point is that Chatter isn't a part of that ecosystem. It's a fine solution for a certain portion of the market - but that portion of the market isn't what this thread is about. This thread is targeted at large corporate users who need a secure, Exchange-connected solution for push email (and who won't open an IMAP port on their Exchange server).
    It has already been announced...see here.
    Thank you for saving me the time of posting this! Those "Get Chatter" people are annoying. I don't think there is one large corp. email system that would even consider opening up the IMAP port.

Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but to use Chatter with Exchange (and Exchange is what this thread is all about), you'd have to open an IMAP port on the Exchange server, and most IT folks are very unwilling to do that. So then, for large corporate enterprises, Chatter isn't relevant. What is relevant to this thread is how VersaMail, once Exchange ActiveSync Service Pack 2 comes out, will allow full push email, contact, calendar sync, etc, withOUT needing middleware servers like BES, Good, Intellisync, etc.

My point is that Chatter isn't a part of that ecosystem. It's a fine solution for a certain portion of the market - but that portion of the market isn't what this thread is about. This thread is targeted at large corporate users who need a secure, Exchange-connected solution for push email (and who won't open an IMAP port on their Exchange server).
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    Thank you for saving me the time of posting this! Those "Get Chatter" people are annoying. I don't think there is one large corp. email system that would even consider opening up the IMAP port.
    Agreed. Enough of this Chatter BS...won't work in my company. Network security isn't about to turn on IMAP.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser

Why is it any different opening up an IMAP port than opening up whatever port Exchange uses? Considering Microsoft's security history, I'd be a lot more leery of opening up whatever port Exchange uses than a third-party IMAP server.
    sorry my company...wait i dont work for anyone (except my own company...just a university student here)...so chattermail is very helpful with my email. It has POP support now I am cool

buuuuuuutttttttttt...if you are using this for work...then thats a whole different story of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Hanson
    Why is it any different opening up an IMAP port than opening up whatever port Exchange uses? Considering Microsoft's security history, I'd be a lot more leery of opening up whatever port Exchange uses than a third-party IMAP server.
    Primarily because IMAP requires additional configuration and management. MS suggests not turning on unnecessary services. Most IT depts see IMAP as unecessary....they already have Outlook and OWA. So, while there may be many different reasons depending on the company, probably the largest is keeping costs down by keeping things simple.

Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    sorry my company...wait i dont work for anyone (except my own company...just a university student here)...so chattermail is very helpful with my email. It has POP support now I am cool

buuuuuuutttttttttt...if you are using this for work...then thats a whole different story of course
    Yes, and my guess is that a large portion of people buying ~$600 phones are using them for corporate use.

On a side note, does it seem to anyone else that the Treo has become a bit of a status symbol among users who OBVIOUSLY don't make full use of their ability? (Not that I make FULL use, but you know what I mean.)
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Hanson
    ...I'd be a lot more leery of opening up whatever port Exchange uses than a third-party IMAP server.
    Well, perhaps if you knew a little more about the product....seems you don't even know what port(s) are in play here...
    I try to use it as much as possible...but in no way do i use it for eye candy

if i wanted eye candy, i would get the Moto v3, or the Nokia 8801 (8800). That is eye candy

The reason for my Treo, is that I am a text message freak...and having a qwerty keyboard rocks. And now that I have finally organized myself, the PIM features I use, as well as the touch screen is an extra bonus
    I wasn't really thinking eye candy....there are cooler looking phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage
    Well, perhaps if you knew a little more about the product....seems you don't even know what port(s) are in play here...
    What difference does that make? You still have to open up some port to the Internet. I can quickly find out what ports are open on a machine with a simple run of nmap. If I want to do bad, I don't need to know which ports are open in advance, nmap would tell me.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast