Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yes, but it all depends on what's listening to the other side of those ports.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Hanson
    What difference does that make? You still have to open up some port to the Internet. I can quickly find out what ports are open on a machine with a simple run of nmap. If I want to do bad, I don't need to know which ports are open in advance, nmap would tell me.
    And yet, still you don't know what you are talking about concerning the subject of the thread. Given your original post, WHY is an IMAP server solution to be preferred to the SP2 version of Exchange Activesync being discussed?
    I replied because someone made a comment on how an IT department wasn't about to open up an IMAP port to the Internet. You still have to open up some port to the Internet for Exchange. I personally wouldn't be comfortable opening anything of Microsoft's to the Internet given their past track record (especially an Exchange server).

If the issue is that IMAP isn't encrypted, you can use IMAP-SSL (I use this on my mail server).
    I actually use Chatter for work (legal) as well as personal emailing. Fact of the matter is that Chatter gives you options - plain and simple. I set Chatter to Quicksync with our Novell IMAP servers running Groupwise (ugh!). For personal emails, I keep Chatter online all the time with two mailboxes (Gmail and Fastmail).

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Hanson
    Why is it any different opening up an IMAP port than opening up whatever port Exchange uses? Considering Microsoft's security history, I'd be a lot more leery of opening up whatever port Exchange uses than a third-party IMAP server.

ActiveSync uses HTTP on port 80 and 443 which is already open for Outlook Web Access. You DONT need to open any additional ports! If your company has OWA then it should work out of the box.
    thanks for tossing in here Stallion. As you and I have stated, when an enterprise has Exchange (not Groupwise or other generic IMAP server), Chatter just isn't an option. Any IT guy worth his salt isn't going to open an IMAP port to exchange. and to the Joe guy - getting mobile access to Exchange is NOT just a process of opening a port to the Internet. That's the whole reason middleware guys like BES, Good, Intellisync, etc exist - to make that secure behind the firewall connection to Exchange. And THOSE guys are who will be most affected by SP2 of Exchange Active Sync. Chatter is a fine product - it's just not (typically) an enterprise solution since NO one in IT will open an IMAP port to Exchange. You individual Chatter/IMAP users aren't affected by this. If you use Chatter & IMAP now, you'll still be able to. just a different part of the market.

end of story.
    Speaking of IT guys, anybody need one? My contract is coming to an end soon.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    thanks for tossing in here Stallion. As you and I have stated, when an enterprise has Exchange (not Groupwise or other generic IMAP server), Chatter just isn't an option. Any IT guy worth his salt isn't going to open an IMAP port to exchange. and to the Joe guy - getting mobile access to Exchange is NOT just a process of opening a port to the Internet. That's the whole reason middleware guys like BES, Good, Intellisync, etc exist - to make that secure behind the firewall connection to Exchange. And THOSE guys are who will be most affected by SP2 of Exchange Active Sync. Chatter is a fine product - it's just not (typically) an enterprise solution since NO one in IT will open an IMAP port to Exchange. You individual Chatter/IMAP users aren't affected by this. If you use Chatter & IMAP now, you'll still be able to. just a different part of the market.

end of story.
    Maybe someone can put this in layman's terms for a non-IT geek. Here's my conundrum: I have a Treo 600 running Goodlink and love it (although the interface sucks and could be a lot more useful ... but I digress.) My wife wants to ditch her BB (small non-profit that she works at, maybe 10 users total) and separate phone and I have convinced her to get a Treo. We thought the 650 would be good since it has the Wireless Sync, but I have read on these boards that the data on her Exch Server actually syncs with Intellisync, then the Treo - therefore a potential security issue, it seems ... then I thought of Chatter since Goodlink was likely too expensive to implement for them ... but now I hear you guys saying that the IMAP port issue is yet another security problem ... her IT guy has already confirmed that their accounts are set up as IMAP acounts, but since I am a computer *****, I don't know how that relates to "opening the port to IMAP."

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Normal IMAP uses clear text to pass the user/pass. This means an enterprising hacker could easily gain access to your network by capturing this information.

IMAP can be used w/ SSL to encrypt the user/pass. However, I must admit that my messaging experience is too limited to explain this with any expertise. It appears to me that to get the level of encryption most companies would require, a third party solution is needed. This may be cost prohibitive to a non-profit and is definately more to manage.

Since Exchange 2003 w/ SP2 will have the new push technology implemented, I would say picking up Microsoft's Small Business Server (which includes Exchange) might be the best way to go for a non-profit.
    Last edited by Geckotek; 06/09/2005 at 08:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    Maybe someone can put this in layman's terms for a non-IT geek. Here's my conundrum: I have a Treo 600 running Goodlink and love it (although the interface sucks and could be a lot more useful ... but I digress.) My wife wants to ditch her BB (small non-profit that she works at, maybe 10 users total) and separate phone and I have convinced her to get a Treo. We thought the 650 would be good since it has the Wireless Sync, but I have read on these boards that the data on her Exch Server actually syncs with Intellisync, then the Treo - therefore a potential security issue, it seems ... then I thought of Chatter since Goodlink was likely too expensive to implement for them ... .
    Actually, we offer a huge discount for non-profits.
    Maybe someone can put this in layman's terms for a non-IT geek. Here's my conundrum: I have a Treo 600 running Goodlink and love it (although the interface sucks and could be a lot more useful ... but I digress.) My wife wants to ditch her BB (small non-profit that she works at, maybe 10 users total) and separate phone and I have convinced her to get a Treo. We thought the 650 would be good since it has the Wireless Sync, but I have read on these boards that the data on her Exch Server actually syncs with Intellisync, then the Treo - therefore a potential security issue, it seems ... then I thought of Chatter since Goodlink was likely too expensive to implement for them ... but now I hear you guys saying that the IMAP port issue is yet another security problem ... her IT guy has already confirmed that their accounts are set up as IMAP acounts, but since I am a computer *****, I don't know how that relates to "opening the port to IMAP."

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    If your wifes company uses Exchange 2003 she should be able to use Versamail w/ ActiveSync. (If they only want to sync Inbox and Calendar)

I'm not sure what you mean by a potential security issue? You can use HTTPS for the sync.
    would the pricing include the need to purchase a new Good server, or can it be hosted? The resistance there would be ditching the BB server which they own already (I believe) and the purchase of new handsets, unless you are still supporting the old RIM devices ...
    would the pricing include the need to purchase a new Good server, or can it be hosted? The resistance there would be ditching the BB server which they own already (I believe) and the purchase of new handsets, unless you are still supporting the old RIM devices ...
    Oh, I was under the impression they already had the handsets. The GoodLink server is free and we offer a rebate on Blackberry devices (converged voice/data, not data only) to help offset the cost of the new devices. A one year non-profit subscription is less than $275, a two-year non-profit sub is less than $400.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Oh, I was under the impression they already had the handsets. The GoodLink server is free and we offer a rebate on Blackberry devices (converged voice/data, not data only) to help offset the cost of the new devices. A one year non-profit subscription is less than $275, a two-year non-profit sub is less than $400.
    they do have the old RIM 957 devices I believe - do you still support them?
    they do have the old RIM 957 devices I believe - do you still support them?
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Exchange 2003 Standard (all you need for a small NPO once SP2 ups the database to 75 gigs): $300 approx. Client CALs less than $4 per; a Windows Server 2003 standard goes for about $150 (and in this application would not need its own additional Client CALs). One-time costs...

However, I would actually agree with the earlier poster in that Small Business Server could serve as a 1-box securely Internet-Connected Exchange Server ready to support mobile devices post-SP2--especially for a non-profit.

I wouldn't recommend the Treo 650, though. If they just want mail, wait a bit and see what shakes out from Nokia/SymbianOS; or better yet, start saving up for a Mobile 5 device. The Outlook/Office integration just might be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by abenez
    after readin the follwoing article...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/06/...ness/email.php

======================================
    But on Monday, Microsoft made a move that could make the business a lot more competitive, announcing that it would give thousands of its existing corporate customers free push e-mail software by upgrading their Microsoft Exchange 2003 server software.

Microsoft's move aims to spur the sale of smart phones, personal digital assistants and other hand-held devices that use its latest Windows Mobile 5.0 software. As many as 120 million users around the world could benefit from the software upgrade for Microsoft Exchange if they were to buy handsets that used the latest version of Windows Mobile software.
    =======================================

Do you think the cross license of microsoft's Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync®. will enable push e-mail on the palm in the future?

Your thoughts..
    In short the answer is NO! I doubt M$ will allow this core upgrade feature in WM05 to be lisenced to competitors at this point. This one will be for WM lisencees only imo...

Anyway, as this thread illustrates, there are many options for push on the Treo right now, so it shouldn't be a problem to find a solution that works for you...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    when is SP2 due to be released?
    SP2 is due end of the year, however, from what I have seen, while it will be a major improvement over the current version of Exchange ActiveSync, it will still be a very immature product and won't be a viable enterprise solution for awhile.
    Excuse me for asking a naive question: This pertains to all applications that push e-mail etc to the Treo (as opposed to timed pulls from the Treo).

Since the Treo does not have an IP address, how do these applications push the e-mail to the Treo?

I undertand that Cingular Xpressmail (or Sprint Business Connect) uses a server (probably hosted by seven.com) as in intermediary and then uses SMS from that server to the Treo . The SMS gets trapped by the Treo client, that then pulls the content to the Treo.

Does Goodlink work the same way?

How about Activesync (when it gets the push feature that everyone is talking about)? My company has OWA and therefore it appears that I can use ActiveSync (and Versamail) to get my ExchangeServer data. But how will the Exchange server push this to the Treo?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast